Flying with Thai wife to UK - does she need a return ticket?

We landed in Norwich. And they questioned her. I showed flight that had a return  and I think that persuade the immigration man.to say okay.. it's not all about lettings you fly . as can come down to arrivals  may just send you back if not happy..so as the Thai say upto you...

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

(don't forget she can go through arrivals with you).

More like You can go through immigration with Her (as translator). Brit PP holders don't need to go through immigration. Biometric PP readers.

15 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I don't think UK Border Force are so daft as to think that a ticket is proof of anything.  They make their decisions based on their questioning not box ticking.  So if asked she can tell them what you have said here, it will be no problem at all (don't forget she can go through arrivals with you).

Proof of onward travel. Overstayers unlikely to have it. Costs money to change tickets. Shows you have a clear plan.

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

How did she get a UK visitors visa without providing details of flight showing both arrival date and time, and obviously showing return date of flight ??

My wife has never declared those things in 20 years of travel, just vague and approximate dates of travel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

How did she get a UK visitors visa without providing details of flight showing both arrival date and time, and obviously showing return date of flight ??

Not needed.  It's like giving someone intent on overstaying a checklist of things to do to evade detection.

Proof of Onward travel is not a requirement to clear immigration, although if you cannot do so they are likely to ask you why.

One of the supporting documents for the visa stage you have already done is to provide a travel itinery. If you did not have this, or are unable to give it at immigration, you may again be asked why.

In all cases you are relying on the judgement and decision of the Border Force officer on duty, so its always better to have answers. You do not need to have a specific plan.

My wife has been asked many times all kinds of inane and stupid questions, they are gathering their decisions based on the response, not the content.

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

My wife has never declared those things in 20 years of travel, just vague and approximate dates of travel.

Wow, I am surprised; I'm not doubting you, but are you saying that a Thai national married to a UK citizen can get a UK visitor visa without providing any evidence of flights either in or out of the UK ?

• Confused 3

20 hours ago, decline said:

Will they require proof of a return ticket? We don't know the exact date we'll be coming back...

Actual fight tickets are not required, just indicative plans and reasons to return.

Likewise when entering the UK Border, whilst some Border Force Officers may well ask to see one, because it’s an easy route, it isn’t a requirement.

That said, they can ask the passenger to demonstrate that they have the means to leave the UK at the conclusion of their visit.

The UKBA are more than aware that possession of a return ticket, doesn’t mean they intend to use it.

• Like 1

Is it not checking-in at the airport that may be more of a worry? better check with your carrier  in advance. 

I knew someone who (long while ago) came on a EVA ticket, and their final return was EVA as it was "open", but in between they went back to Thailand for a few weeks on KLM ticket , but KLM were not going to let them back on the return to the UK, until they sighted the detail of the EVA back to Thailand Ticket. (Standard 6m UK visitor). after getting a panic phone call at the check-in, I said there is a copy in your organiser "Oh" sorted! Not e-tickets at that time.

The 10 year visitor Visa the wife has, would not work well if you had to show the Flight detail....????

If you had a stack of frequent flyer points, an award ticket is maybe useful, as you could cancel and get most of the points back for a small fee, if your airline insisted on seeing a ticket..

7 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Wow, I am surprised; I'm not doubting you, but are you saying that a Thai national married to a UK citizen can get a UK visitor visa without providing any evidence of flights either in or out of the UK ?

That is correct. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, Upnotover said:

I don't think UK Border Force are so daft as to think that a ticket is proof of anything.  They make their decisions based on their questioning not box ticking.  So if asked she can tell them what you have said here, it will be no problem at all (don't forget she can go through arrivals with you).

So when going to passport control will she not have to go in a separate queue?

Ive heard the queue can be a 1 hour wait..

42 minutes ago, decline said:

So when going to passport control will she not have to go in a separate queue?

Ive heard the queue can be a 1 hour wait..

Correct, but as pointed out most UK passport holders go through the e-gates which she cannot so will need to be a manned UK entry, which there will be at least for the e-gate users whose passports cannot be read (such as mine).

Definitely no return tickets needed.  Last year one of my wife's friends visited us in UK.  Single lady. Got a visitor's visa on the basis of money in the bank and good job (advertising agency in Bangkok). She booked a single ticket on one of the last Scoot flights to UK.  We had to sort her out with  return flight whilst she was in the UK.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

It's not just that you don't need to supply evidence of flight bookings, you can't provide evidence; there's nowhere on the application to provide such a document.

The UK is not quite yet downgraded to developing nation status, and I guess the department responsible for setting the rules are well aware that many flights can be cancelled, refunded or altered, and therefore a flight booking is not particularly useful evidence.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

That would be correct...  a lot of Embassies advise Visa applicants not to purchase a flight ticket prior to visa approval to avoid potential financial loss IF the visa is not granted.

As already mentioned, anyone can change flights etc after the visa is granted, thus, having flights / tickets doesn't really prove anything and relying on such information in the process of granting a visa only highlights flaws in the permission process. 

In direction question to the OP: Wife (Thai) and I travel to the UK a couple of times per year. 

I have never read any documentation or information which suggests a return ticket is required. 

Wife and I often enter the UK on a Single ticket (depending on what offers are on at the time etc). 

So, from personal experience, no return ticket required for a Thai to enter the UK (but, I am not aware of any official policy on this). 

I suspect IF / When question upon arrival, the return date may be asked by UK Immigration (Border Force), it would make sense to have an answer for such questions prepared and if your Wife doesn’t have a return ticket, point out that one will be purchased in the following weeks.

Ended up booking a return for her as I expect Thai Airways to turn her down 

£375 flight one way changed to £1000 return 

Still confused about arrivals, if we can queue together to get through the passport control

12 minutes ago, decline said:

Ended up booking a return for her as I expect Thai Airways to turn her down 

£375 flight one way changed to £1000 return 

Why would Thai Airways ’turn her down’ (assuming you mean refuse to check your wife in with a one way ticket) ????  - there is no official regulation regarding travel to the UK on a one way ticket (my Wife has done this loads of times). 

12 minutes ago, decline said:

Still confused about arrivals, if we can queue together to get through the passport control

This one is more hit and miss.

In the past I’ve queued in the lane for British and other EU nationals and been told my Wife has to Queue in the Non-EU lane. 

Also, in the past I’ve queued in the Non-EU lane and been told that my Wife can queue with me in the Brit / EU lane.

I’ve had (polite) arguments with the Border-force staff in the past telling them that I receive conflicting advice.

Ultimately, if someone is there I ask.

Last time (December) I asked and we were told to go through the Non-Brit / Non-EU lane...  which was busy... After the Brit / EU lanes Emptied they then told me to re-join the Brit / EU lane with my Wife (we still had to wait for baggage anyway, so no big deal).

No consistency... Thus: IMO - just join the quickest lane (usually the Brit / EU lane as most will route via the e-gates) 

Theoretically, it is your ‘right’ to bring your family with you through the Brit / EU lane. 

(note - I know the UK is no longer in the EU, so there’s no need for some pedantic tool to debate that - for the purposes of this thread its obvious what I mean).

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

In the past I’ve queued in the lane for British and other EU nationals and been told my Wife has to Queue in the Non-EU lane. 

Also, in the past I’ve queued in the Non-EU lane and been told that my Wife can queue with me in the Brit / EU lane.

I've had exactly the same experience - it can be quite frustrating as it means you're never quite sure what to do and neither are you sure that what you do choose to do will be the correct thing.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Yes, they can. They used to ask for it once upon a time but haven't done so for quite a while now. I'm not sure it's been twenty years since they dropped it as a requirement, but it could be.