How do they count 30 days exactly?

Hi I never did 30-days visa exemption, so for the flight booking purposes I'm curious how the immigration is counting 30 days of stay, for example if arrival is May/1, will 'stay until' stamp be May 30th or 31st?

(asking because before I know in HK and in China the immigration starts count from the 2nd day of arrival, meaning when 1st day was fully passed, so their 'stay until' stamps would be May/31)

OP, above posts correct.

I understand your question and can add to your list Japan starting count on day After arrival.

I only posted as Thai receive 15 day visa exempt to Japan that some folk may not be aware of and be of interest. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever you do, do not overstay. You can change your flight. You can get a 30 day extension.

Even though Thailand looks at short overstay lightly and there are no consequences (at this time) other than application to the Thailand Elite programme other countries you may wish to apply for visas or entry take overstay very seriously and can easily identify overstay stamps in your passport.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Arrival day is day 1.  So in your example May 30 will be the end of stay.

And this means that you can leave (pass through immigration) at any time on the day (May 30  - Up to midnight) and this is not an overstay - Yes?

I would say that the 30 days starts from the date stamped into your passport.   So don't forget to check the date stamped, before you leave the immigration counter to be sure you will have 30 days stay in Thailand, before you leave

I once flew into Thailand and had a ticket to depart 28 days after I arrived.    I had evidence of this with my round trip ticket itinerary and boarding passes when I boarded the aircraft to Thailand from the United States and the boarding pass for the day of my arrival, when I boarded the aircraft in Japan. 

What I found out when I went to the airport was, the date stamped in my passport had me arriving before I entered Thailand, making me 3 days overstay when I was leaving.   Even when I showed them the travel itinerary, showing my arrival date, the boarding pass from Japan date, etc, I had to pay 1500 baht for 3 days overstay!

• Confused 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2023 at 8:54 PM, Upnotover said:

Arrival day is day 1.  So in your example May 30 will be the end of stay.

but that's NOT 30 days, that's 29 days. Are the Thais the only ones on the planet that don't know how to count days? 

On 4/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, sallecc said:

Hi I never did 30-days visa exemption, so for the flight booking purposes I'm curious how the immigration is counting 30 days of stay, for example if arrival is May/1, will 'stay until' stamp be May 30th or 31st?

(asking because before I know in HK and in China the immigration starts count from the 2nd day of arrival, meaning when 1st day was fully passed, so their 'stay until' stamps would be May/31)

they don't know how to count days in Thailand. It's their little scam, to generate more revenue from overstays. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Jannow said:

they don't know how to count days in Thailand. It's their little scam, to generate more revenue from overstays. 

Days are counted in a Calendar Date Form - from 00.00.00 until 23.59.59 for any particular day. not "24 hour periods".  Day of arrival until day of Departure, 

Example, would be arriving on the 1st September with departure required by 30th September.

To my thought pattern that is 30 days.

• Like 1

how do they count the 30? on 2 hands! ????

i recall being a chef here in LOS and if i cooked something at 4pm today i would come in tomorrow at 4pm to see it in the trash.as i was told it was TWO days old.....I soon quit....smh

what was 24 hrs old was 48 hrs in thai logic.....had many of these misunderstandings..sigh

On 4/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, spambot said:

And this means that you can leave (pass through immigration) at any time on the day (May 30  - Up to midnight) and this is not an overstay - Yes?

Wrong. The deciding factor is actually your scheduled flight departure, not when you walk through Immigration. - I made that mistake once when my flight out was shortly after midnight. I thought passing through Immigration at 11 p.m. would be safe. However, I got a stamp '1 day overstay' into my passport. (No charge for 1 day overstay at the airport though.) 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

When entering Thailand, the initial permission to stay uses the day of your arrival as day 1. Thus, if you are given an initial 30-day permission to stay, this is actually 30 days but only 29 nights. A 30-day extension of stay adds exactly 30 days (30 nights) to your existing permission to stay as you would expect.

12 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Overstay is 500 Baht a day.

Not sure how you got 1,900 ????

What I think my wife remembered, but I may well have confused it with another immigration contretemps related to my land lady not reporting my residence.

Anyway herself has a few times mentioned “not want pay 1,900 baht”, and I completely agree.????

Edited by Kwaibill
Amplify.
  • Confused 1