Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

snoop1130

Hope the guy gets on the mend soon, I’m covered on my wife’s health insurance because she is a government employee, but I also have ‘accident’ insurance from Bangkok bank who I bank with this is pretty good insurance and covers you for accidents like this, maybe he should have taken out insurance through his bank

9 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Not many expats can afford the exorbitant rates charged for insurance premiums. Especially given the likelihood that the insurance will never pay off. National Health Insurance is the answer, but Thailand will never create such a program.

I assume you’re talking about Health insurance, which certainly is expensive, especially if you are over 60, and may not cover a motorcycle accident anyway.

However, I have owned 3 new Vespa 150cc scooters in my time here, and have always taken out comprehensive insurance with medical accident cover. This has cost me about 8,000 Baht per annum, so not expensive at all.

I sold my latest Vespa six months ago, figuring that after 8 years of accident-free riding, I might be approaching the limitations of my luck. Car only from now on, with fully comprehensive insurance.

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Really, have not seen that many these last few months. 

I think you find many dont make the news, I live in Rawai and the other week a young Russian guy killed himself on a bike, I didnt see it in the news

• Like 1

Well yet another sad story and the end result will be a Go find me page etc. here is only one answer, when I came here over two decades ago even then I saw First hand the way MOTORBIKES were being ridden and driven and came to the cponclusion, while I was young enough never to ride a motorbike . Although more expensive to drive a car/truck I feel a lot safer. WHEN too old to drive I WLL OPT For Taxis and/or friends even a local bus/samlor 

• Thumbs Up 1

Putting aside the fact that he appears to have had inadequate insurance, there are conflicting reports.

In an earlier report he says that a car pulled out in front of him causing the crash, whereas in a later report he just claims to be the victim of a hit and run incident. I guess the latter version portrays him as completely blameless, and is more likely to encourage donations. Shame that there do not appear to be any witnesses.

24 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Never thought this before, but I have been driving a car for the past several months you are 100 % correct they are the main problem. 

I drive both and the cars are definitely an issue.  Motorcycles benefit from being nimble and can easily move through traffic and this is dangerous.  Cars are constantly pulling out in front of me or sticking there front end 2 meters into oncoming traffic while trying to enter from a side road.  The cars have no choice but some just bully there way through traffic causing dangerous situations.

It is anarchy out there on the roads and accident is always a possibility.  Been fortunate for 15 years but it can happen tomorrow.  The roads here can not accommodate the countless number of vehicles is the main issue.  Everybody is forced to take risks if they want to get from point A to B even if they are conservative drivers.  

Farangs with valid drivers license are partaking in the insanity of driving here and doing all the same things Thais do to get where they're going.  I would venture to say Farangs are more apt to take bigger risk compared to Thais.  Just what I feel but may be I'm not seeing clearly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, aussienam said:

Sounding like a broken record, but yet again another case of someone not sufficiently insured (under-insured), albeit at least he had partial cover. And yet another plea for financial help to be bailed out of this predicament. 

Many expats here have insufficient or no insurance at all and usually not enough personal funds to cover costs.  I have had chats with guys who admit they aren't sufficiently covered/not at all, but just don't really want to think about it.  The cheap policies that often expats opt for, are capped at low-end amounts that won't cover most ICU, critical care and complex issues.  

I feel pity for the guy, but I won't be contributing as I need my money to pay for my own proper insurance cover, which, yes is bloody expensive. 

A lot of ins companies tell you great things when you sign up. When it comes to paying out they tell you the sad things and remember he is most probably paying DOUBLE if noy triple  for his treatment.

3 minutes ago, BangkokKnights said:

If the roles were reversed do you think this Brit would give you a dime?

Not a chance. Dont give any radom actor your money.

Ship him back to the UK where its all free care.

Shipping him back would be a problem and costly, 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Keith007 said:

Like what

Well, pretty much anything is safer, on major roads, than a motorcy. I'll assume your comment is rhetorical.

Any vehicle more than a few dozens kilo in weight that won't stand up on its on is dangerous. Pretty simple rule.

I rode a motorcy the first two years I was here. Realizing my naivete and deciding my number would inevitably come up eventually, I sold the bike and bought a smaller sedan. What one can never protect from here is being hit from behind, and that never ends well for a bike rider.

My mother often said "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

I previously lived near a popular Colorado mountain climbing area known as Eldarado Canyon. When I went hiking there I regularly saw people free-scaling the sheer rock faces. I also often saw rescue teams spending hours recovering their bodies. They gambled and lost.

If you choose to take such risks you should be prepared to accept the potential consequences.

I feel sorry for this guy and all the others like him but won't be contributing to his cause. He gambled and lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

well, it's painful to realize not having enough cover for an accident. Cheap Charly spent a lot for flight and living but "saved" money on insurance. Lesson learnt?

Go to your funds in UK and please don't bother us with your admitted sad story. ☹️

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

If they don’t have insurance, don’t let them in!

period!

we will be reading of yet another victim tomorrow!

when will people wake up?

Richard has lived here for many years and is well known. He has a motorbike license. He is not a tourist. It was a hit and run accident. Yes, he is a victim here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Richard has lived here for many years and is well known. He has a motorbike license. He is not a tourist. It was a hit and run accident. Yes, he is a victim here.

Well if Richard has lived here for many years he should have adequate motorcycle insurance, and / or provisions for unexpected expenses such as this.

He also said in his first report that a car pulled out in front of him causing the crash; this is not what most people understand to be a hit and run incident. I hope it ends well for him.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

As a director he can opt out of his personal social payments. If employee then company/employee MUST pay contributions.

Thanks for your info. As yet we don't know which applies. As per an earlier posting the cause of his injury was a road traffic accident so unfortunately he wouldn't be entitled to receive treatment under the Thai National Health Service. 

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

sure, NHS would ????????care for you very well.

I can't complain.  Excellent and fast service for my suspected prostate cancer (happily diagnosed as benign prostate stones).

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

And just who would pay for his repatriation ?? The British Government WON'T !!!

he can pay his own way home. if not smart enough to at least keep money for a plane ticket home. well. 

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I'm was an experienced motorbike rider of many years in the UK and managed to stay accident free. My first time on two wheels in Thailand (Koh Chang) I had a prang due to a pickup appearing  on my side of the road on a bend. That was 16 years ago and I haven't ridden a motorbike on public roads here since. The most I do is run my daughter's bike around the golf course perimeter when she's away and ride my bicycle on the same road for exercise. It's almost traffic-free.

Doesn't matter how experienced you are, the number of idiots on the road here make it likely that you're going to come a cropper sooner or later.

Doesn't matter how experienced you are, the number of idiots on the road here make it likely that you're going to come a cropper sooner or later.....Yep and THAT Sir is ONE Big Problem,Most of them haven't got a Scooby about Road Sense....It's Me,Me,Me, !!!

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If you're going to ride a motorcycle here then at the very least you should have good accident insurance. 

And I'm sure, if they could be bothered the police could track down to hit and run driver...

Yes, for a price.

• Thanks 1