New Car - breaking in an engine?

22 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Hyundai and Kia are popular in Australia, but they can barely sell any in Thailand. They tried, but weren't successful. 

I’m not so sure about that...   I’m seeing plenty of Kia Carnivals and Hyundai Staria around, I suspect their Market share is gradually increasing albeit for a limited bracket.

Thai said, I can see how the Thai market is difficult to crack - Toyota have such a strong hold and reputation is a difficult thing to shift, Honda are still very strong here...  and in the higher end market we have seen Audi and Volvo continually trying, but again, the badge reputation of Merc and BMW is still extremely strong. 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 5/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, Lacessit said:

As I said, manufacturers nowadays break the engines in prior to putting in the vehicle. Perhaps you need a new prescription for your spectacles.

Legend has it the Russian T34 tank would generate about a kilo of iron filings in their oil system after just one hour of operation. Oils and metal alloys have come a long way since then.

I don't doubt the vehicle of your nom-de-plume would need breaking in. According to the owner's manual, a Hyundai Kona N does not. I further venture said vehicle would urinate all over your choice of vehicle on any road with a couple of bends in it.

Not sure about the legend but V2-34 is pretty much the most advanced, most reliable tank engine of the era, Big Diesel with dry sump + DOHC + alum block steel sleeves + alum head + distribution pump etc... Pretty much a 90s modern engine time travelled back to 1931, and was solid modern original design until into 21st century. If anything unreliable on T-34 I would more suspect vintage simple mesh gear than a very moderm, perfected alum Diesel engine... Yes I think the modified design is still the backbone of T-72, T-90, and many heavy or light APCs n civil engineering cars... 

One would worrie about break-in are the nazis... Not because design but lack of high quality lubricants( at least according to that Haynes kats manual ), pretty much only have soupy or water-y sus substances when the war turned against them, Maybach is forced to use integrated roller bearings on crankshaft because otherwise journal would explode in no time, Oh also since only soviets use modern diesel at wwii, and nazi gasoline engines are high-rpm and momentum, are a very much frequent sight of conrod-penetrating cylinder blocks... 

When I rebuilt my cars' engines( DIY changed everything ARP everything ), I usually fill cheap 50w mineral oil, drive about 60miles( from cold start to very warm, gave various load but absolute no violent abuses ), go back home change oil, and consider breaking-in mostly been dealt with. Could give it abuses very soon confirmed EFI & everything working accordingly. 

And these rag DIY rebuilt, half-a** broke-in engines served me good. Even stocko pistons they stood higher boost and redline and funky thingymajiks and reliable even to this day...

7 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Not sure about the legend but V2-34 is pretty much the most advanced, most reliable tank engine of the era, Big Diesel with dry sump + DOHC + alum block steel sleeves + alum head + distribution pump etc... Pretty much a 90s modern engine time travelled back to 1931, and was solid modern original design until into 21st century. If anything unreliable on T-34 I would more suspect vintage simple mesh gear than a very moderm, perfected alum Diesel engine... Yes I think the modified design is still the backbone of T-72, T-90, and many heavy or light APCs n civil engineering cars... 

One would worrie about break-in are the nazis... Not because design but lack of high quality lubricants( at least according to that Haynes kats manual ), pretty much only have soupy or water-y sus substances when the war turned against them, Maybach is forced to use integrated roller bearings on crankshaft because otherwise journal would explode in no time, Oh also since only soviets use modern diesel at wwii, and nazi gasoline engines are high-rpm and momentum, are a very much frequent sight of conrod-penetrating cylinder blocks... 

Wow, that's a learned exposition. Interesting, thanks.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, DavisH said:

Hyundai and Kia are popular in Australia, but they can barely sell any in Thailand. They tried, but weren't successful. 

Hyundai sedans were a bit of a bust here but their minivans and people carriers have always been great value for money. A client of mine had one converted into his 'golfing wagon' and it was really stunning with the captains chairs and minibar. Their new Staria looks way better than Toyoyta's boxy offerings.

On 5/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, DavisH said:

Hyundai do not build cars here, they are imports.

Import costs make the sale not financially viable for cheap cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, DavisH said:

Hyundai do not build cars here, they are imports.

Import costs make the sale not financially viable for cheap cars.

14 hours ago, Coremouse said:

When I rebuilt my cars' engines( DIY changed everything ARP everything ), I usually fill cheap 50w mineral oil, drive about 60miles( from cold start to very warm, gave various load but absolute no violent abuses ), go back home change oil, and consider breaking-in mostly been dealt with. Could give it abuses very soon confirmed EFI & everything working accordingly. 

And these rag DIY rebuilt, half-a** broke-in engines served me good. Even stocko pistons they stood higher boost and redline and funky thingymajiks and reliable even to this day...

Yeah have built many an engine, stock rebuild and performance.

Did the 50 weight mineral oil for break in......................20 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, Lacessit said:

As I said, manufacturers nowadays break the engines in prior to putting in the vehicle. Perhaps you need a new prescription for your spectacles.

Legend has it the Russian T34 tank would generate about a kilo of iron filings in their oil system after just one hour of operation. Oils and metal alloys have come a long way since then.

I don't doubt the vehicle of your nom-de-plume would need breaking in. According to the owner's manual, a Hyundai Kona N does not. I further venture said vehicle would urinate all over your choice of vehicle on any road with a couple of bends in it.

I reckon my 390hp roadster would make mincemeat of your 275hp Kona - bends or no bends ????

There's always something faster on the roads...

We did have to run it in though - I think it was 1000km and I never push it when the engine is cold either. 

Edited by pedro01

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I reckon my 390hp roadster would make mincemeat of your 275hp Kona - bends or no bends ????

There's always something faster on the roads...

We did have to run it in though - I think it was 1000km and I never push it when the engine is cold either. 

Horsepower may be fairly useless unless the vehicle has AWD or traction control. Back in the day, I used to enjoy myself taking my Honda Civic with 1.2 litres of engine up Arthurs' Seat, with cars having three times the engine size trying to catch me. They never did.

You're right, there's always something faster on the roads - in a straight line.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:58 AM, Lacessit said:

There are engines that are run on a bench, most are not.

"There are engines that are run on a bench, most are not."

You have a link or statistics to support that assertion?

It would appear you are posting a photo of some American-made V8 iron, I have no doubt such engines would need breaking in on the road. I am talking about modern turbo diesels, where the manufacturer does the job before the vehicle gets into a showroom.

IIRC, it was last century when the Japanese started slaughtering the American car industry in terms of build quality. The Koreans now talk about the lazy Japanese. Both moved on to reliability, and from that to readiness for use. They are looking over their shoulders at the Chinese.

Nostalgia is fine; however, I don't confuse it with modern products. Who wants to go back to mobile phones the size of house bricks? Or gas-guzzling behemoths?

Come back to me when you have driven a Hyundai i30N or a Kia Stinger, although the latter is now history. Just as Detroit is.

Do you have a link showing your claim new engines are broken in on the bench or in the car at the mfr.

If so post it and the disagreement t will be over. 

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Do you have a link showing your claim new engines are broken in on the bench or in the car at the mfr.

If so post it and the disagreement t will be over. 

Quote from Kia:

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle. Do not race the engine. While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=kia+running+in+engine+recommendation

The manual specifies the first service is at 15,000 km.

IIRC, I asked for a link first, which has not appeared.

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Horsepower may be fairly useless unless the vehicle has AWD or traction control. Back in the day, I used to enjoy myself taking my Honda Civic with 1.2 litres of engine up Arthurs' Seat, with cars having three times the engine size trying to catch me. They never did.

You're right, there's always something faster on the roads - in a straight line.

RWD with traction control and beat the M2 competition around Nurburgring, so it goes round bends.... ????

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Quote from Kia:

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle. Do not race the engine. While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=kia+running+in+engine+recommendation

So you run it in.  Like any other car.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Quote from Kia:

Your links don't support your claim but does support a break in process even if it's not called "break in process" . 

That link info is only for Kia so I think your on the wrong side of your argument so there doesn't appear to be any need to supply you with a counter argument link. 

On 5/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, Lacessit said:

That's about right. Coming back from Saturday night dances in Rothienorman, there was no way my Vauxhall VX490 could keep up with Billy Patterson's Triumph Dolomite Sprint.

...but I had loadsa room for the girls and for that, the bench seat and column shift worked loads better than a bucket and a stick.

With modern c/n/c machining the engines are much much better than back in the day along with the variable valve timing fuel injection everything computer assisted waaaayyyy better than back in the day that beeing said I always change my oil after the first 500 miles and have it analyzed 50$ could save you a bundle I vary the rpm for the first 500 miles as not to glaze the cylinder walls my newest ride (Jeep gladiator max tow) is performing better every day 3600 miles on it so far 24mpg on the highway not to bad anyway follow what the manufacturer says they don’t want to be on the hook to fix it

• Haha 1