Why would they build it like this?

NorthernRyland

I've actually seen this in real life also. In the video they speak like it's totally normal and the builder even remarks how there's extra space above her head despite crouching around to avoid hitting her same very head. ???? This is probably a 150-160cm tall women.

Is there a cost or material reason they can't make the floor a little higher so it's not impossible to walk in? It looks like to me they totally wasted an entire floor of a 2.6 million baht house. Madness.

image.png.6e1bf7c56454510428f582f68f3120a4.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Don't be silly this is just a basement room for short people and for sleeping people.....why invest millions just so a few tall people, like farangs, can stand up. It's modelled on the tiger cages the Viet Song used. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

It's the basement. Why they've spent all the money trying to make it look good is beyond me as the money should have been spent on a smarter architect. The house looks awful, imo.

But they could have raised the ceiling and had a whole new floor. They even put in windows and there's a door even.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

maybe the whole family is only 5'6" .....  ????

5'6" is too tall even! You can stand between the beams but you'll hit your head if you don't crouch in between them. Another 2 feet would have been enough to have a whole usable floor.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais certainly know how to ruin a house or condo

I would die in shame in my living room looked like that. But I respect their tastes. The only thing I don't understand is why they ruined the lower floor despite a 2.6 mil budget.

image.thumb.png.57f57a9102a296cfb265408d19e064ee.png

29 minutes ago, Snugs08 said:

image.png.7eb722f48b0e0ee549ed9d1653423278.png

They are insane at times.. Someone tell her the blue film peels off to reveal a nice metallic surface

Got a confession to make.......still got the blue film

on my extractor, it actually makes the kitchen

look super smart

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I would die in shame in my living room looked like that. But I respect their tastes. The only thing I don't understand is why they ruined the lower floor despite a 2.6 mil budget.

image.thumb.png.57f57a9102a296cfb265408d19e064ee.png

how could you even live in a living room like that? would bring on a migraine

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how could you even live in a living room like that? would bring on a migraine

The echo also, everything is tiled, even the rug and mural of horses is a tile! Looks like a prison or something. I'd 100% rather live in a POS wooden house on stilts than that thing.

1 hour ago, CelticBhoy said:

It's the basement. Why they've spent all the money trying to make it look good is beyond me as the money should have been spent on a smarter architect. The house looks awful, imo.

Matches the music

2 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I suspect the house was originally ‘stilted’ (i.e. raised above ground and open underneath, as lot of up-country houses area) and they have simple filled that in to make an ‘extra floor’...

OK if its for storage... or otherwise fit for a hobbit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Is there a cost or material reason they can't make the floor a little higher so it's not impossible to walk in? It looks like to me they totally wasted an entire floor of a 2.6 million baht house. Madness.

I imagine a cost reason...  they’d need to ‘dig down’ to create room height, that would be costly and perhaps compromise the existing foundations. 

Then there is the ‘basement’ issue and having the room below ground level and higher risk of flooding etc... 

I don’t think the floor is ‘wasted’... its just the ‘stilted area’ walled off to create a room.

The question begs, what extra value does that ‘1/2’ a basement floor bring to the house ?

i.e. IF that floor were open air (stilted house) would the house be 2 MB ?... and thus the extra 1/2 floor brings the additional value of 600k baht ? etc

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I imagine a cost reason...  they’d need to ‘dig down’ to create room height, that would be costly and perhaps compromise the existing foundations. 

Then there is the ‘basement’ issue and having the room below ground level and higher risk of flooding etc... 

I don’t think the floor is ‘wasted’... its just the ‘stilted area’ walled off to create a room.

The question begs, what extra value does that ‘1/2’ a basement floor bring to the house ?

i.e. IF that floor were open air (stilted house) would the house be 2 MB ?... and thus the extra 1/2 floor brings the additional value of 600k baht ? etc

Dig down? Just make the posts higher and bring the floor up right? That's my question, why didn't they make the first floor just a little higher to gain a livable area or just leave it open and save the money of finishing the space. It's clear they intend to live down there as there is a window and door from the interior. I.e. here is their hobbit hole door. So silly.

image.thumb.png.3fd710215438702fe89ce8345d00eff3.png

Edited by NorthernRyland

2 hours ago, Snugs08 said:

image.png.7eb722f48b0e0ee549ed9d1653423278.png

They are insane at times.. Someone tell her the blue film peels off to reveal a nice metallic surface

Someone needs to tell you that she knows and that it's only there to protect the surface until the owner decides to remove it. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

The echo also, everything is tiled, even the rug and mural of horses is a tile! Looks like a prison or something. I'd 100% rather live in a POS wooden house on stilts than that thing.

Calm down, no one's going to make you live in it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You haven't experienced any prisons, obviously.

You'd be wrong though. Most Thai houses have prison vibes though. Cement boxes with tiles on everything. Elementary schools in the US also feel like prisons for the same reason.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Someone needs to tell you that she knows and that it's only there to protect the surface until the owner decides to remove it. 

It's there to protect the surface during from factory to installation, it has no other intended use case. If the owner is Thai they'll probably never know..  Ah this forum

Edited by Snugs08
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You haven't experienced any prisons, obviously.

You'd be wrong though.

Then you were exaggerating! You'd never prefer to live in any prison over that house, I can guarantee that.   Five years in any prison that you choose or five years in that house, which would you actually choose?