Why would they build it like this?

NorthernRyland

1 minute ago, Snugs08 said:
31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Someone needs to tell you that she knows and that it's only there to protect the surface until the owner decides to remove it. 

It's there to protect the surface during from factory to installation, it has no other intended use ... If the owner is Thai they'll probably never know..

Guess what?  That's what I said, protection!  And I managed to say it without including a lame, Thai-bashing insult, either.

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Looks like a prison or something.

You should try a night in this hotel for the prison vibe .

Just needs a few chains on the wall to add the final touch

p hotel.jpg

prison hotel.jpg

• Like 2

The woman in black said the basement is to be used as a storage space. It's not a living space. For sure there's plenty of space for storage. Personally I'd have made the basement taller, but as the woman in blue kept repeating in the video about various things in the house... "It's what the customer wanted", so presumably the customer made the decision on the basement too.  

Everyone keeps banging on about it being a 2.6 million baht house as if that is a really high price. For a storage space it’s quite nice. Raise the floor level and then you have a higher level living area.

It’s not your choice but then nobody is asking you to live there. 
Our house is our design and we like it, we don’t care if other’s don’t as we built for ourselves. 

• Love It 1

13 minutes ago, Denim said:

You should try a night in this hotel for the prison vibe .

Just needs a few chains on the wall to add the final touch

p hotel.jpg

I personally like it!

Architects call that style of design "brutalism".

51 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Everyone keeps banging on about it being a 2.6 million baht house as if that is a really high price. For a storage space it’s quite nice. Raise the floor level and then you have a higher level living area.

It’s not your choice but then nobody is asking you to live there. 
Our house is our design and we like it, we don’t care if other’s don’t as we built for ourselves. 

That's high enough that they clearly have the money to raise the ceiling a little.

1 hour ago, asf6 said:

The woman in black said the basement is to be used as a storage space. It's not a living space. For sure there's plenty of space for storage. Personally I'd have made the basement taller, but as the woman in blue kept repeating in the video about various things in the house... "It's what the customer wanted", so presumably the customer made the decision on the basement too.  

Ok at 9:44 she says so quickly that the door goes outside to the front of the house and then something about a storage room, which I guess is the entire first floor. It's so hard to believe this would be their design with windows even. 

42 minutes ago, Encid said:

Architects call that style of design "brutalism".

This is NCAR, a famous brutalist structure from the town I grew up in, in Colorado. It looks like a prison also but it's actually pretty cool and has nice mountain views. ???? 

image.png.4ef2253f0d5daa18298034ec4c356d5b.png

20 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I imagine a cost reason...  they’d need to ‘dig down’ to create room height, that would be costly and perhaps compromise the existing foundations. 

Then there is the ‘basement’ issue and having the room below ground level and higher risk of flooding etc... 

I don’t think the floor is ‘wasted’... its just the ‘stilted area’ walled off to create a room.

The question begs, what extra value does that ‘1/2’ a basement floor bring to the house ?

i.e. IF that floor were open air (stilted house) would the house be 2 MB ?... and thus the extra 1/2 floor brings the additional value of 600k baht ? etc

Expand  

Dig down? Just make the posts higher and bring the floor up right? That's my question, why didn't they make the first floor just a little higher to gain a livable area or just leave it open and save the money of finishing the space. It's clear they intend to live down there as there is a window and door from the interior. I.e. here is their hobbit hole door. So silly.

I suspect the house wasn’t designed like this from scratch. Rather it was a renovation of a pre-existing structure which was ‘stilted’ and they simply ‘filled in the walls’ to create that 1/2 ground floor. 

Moving the whole house up is not a viable option (technically, physically or financially).

Digging deeper is not a viable option (financially or practically due to flooding risk).

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect the house wasn’t designed like this from scratch. Rather it was a renovation of a pre-existing structure which was ‘stilted’ and they simply ‘filled in the walls’ to create that 1/2 ground floor.

It could also be a case of changing their mind on the initial design after the plan and its budget has been finalized, which is super common in residential construction.

2 minutes ago, unheard said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It could also be a case of changing their mind on the initial design after the plan and its budget has been finalized, which is super common in residential construction.

Yup... entirely possible if they’d already put in the upper structure....

One thing I’m quite sure of... contrary to the implication of some posters who want to suggest that Thai’s are stupid, I very much doubt the house was deliberately designed like this from scratch... 

On 5/3/2023 at 1:31 PM, couchpotato said:

that is one ugly house......

Reminds me of the house we have down south, the titler didn't know how to work with brick style tiles (ceramics) in the bathroom, arrived there when it was all done, and the idiot did them in all in line and with white grout lol

Worst of all he fitted a bath and never supplied electric to the heater behind the tiles (in the wall) for the water, property gets used a couple of times a year, thankfully the aircon actually works, otherwise it was in my opinion a financial calamity.

• Sad 1

Houses and properties built in Thailand generally are pretty poor compared to western standards.  

It blows my mind how some of the even most expensive can be so bad, some of them worth 100,000,000 + houses their designs and quality are just so poor.  

Developers in Thailand are just embarassing.  

On 5/3/2023 at 9:57 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect the house was originally ‘stilted’ (i.e. raised above ground and open underneath, as lot of up-country houses area) and they have simple filled that in to make an ‘extra floor’...

OK if its for storage... or otherwise fit for a hobbit.

I agree that's a possibility as I watched a build going up a couple of years ago which was converted as you say.  Initially 4 apartments on two upper levels with parking/storage below.  Apartments were easily let, so the developer filled in the downstairs space to make it 12 apartments. Pics below.

I don't think that's the case here as the left hand side of the house is genuinely two habitable/usable floors (stairs up and down from the room inside the entrance) and it's only the right hand side which has the low height basement.  I think it was designed from the outset like this.

1375902678_newbuild12.jpg.8824168efa1079211e68acfbea546c7f.jpg

125521225_newbuild14.jpg.a28d91dbf791359bbcd7349b55e1640e.jpg

Edited by treetops

On 5/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, couchpotato said:

that is one ugly house......

Once it's surrounded by water butts, blue piping and pumps, and the garish interior walls decorated with cartoon stickers, and the hardstanding filled with all sorts of vehicles and assorted junk it'll look like all the other ones built to someone's exclusive design.

• Haha 1