Because of Florida abortion laws, she carried her baby to term knowing he would die

onthedarkside

image.png.6249b54dad154142aee1a20834130b0d.png

A Florida woman, unable to get an abortion in her state, carried to term a baby who had no kidneys.

Deborah Dorbert’s son Milo died in her arms on March 3, shortly after he was born, just as her doctors had predicted he would.

“He gasped for air a couple of times when I held him,” said Dorbert, 33. “I watched my child take his first breath, and I held him as he took his last one.”

Her doctors told her it was too late to terminate the pregnancy in Florida, which bans nearly all abortions after 15 weeks. The only options were to go out of state to get an abortion or to carry the baby to full term, and Dorbert and her husband didn’t have the money to travel.

READ MORE

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/02/health/florida-abortion-term-pregnancy/index.html

CNN.jpg

Just now, placeholder said:

Why should they have to? What kind of government is so inhumane that it creates a need for private intervention like this? It's not incumbent upon private citizens to pay to redress the wrongs inflicted by unjust laws.

You answered your first question with the second one.  That is the purpose of charities- to step in when and where governments are not doing enough.  People who think the Florida law is inhumane can certainly protest and try to get it changed. But, in the meantime, they could also take the practical step of helping people who may be effected by it. 

And you are right, it is not incumbent, but it might be the nice thing to do.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Why was it not done before 15 weeks:

"The kidneys develop between the 5th and 12th week of fetal life, and by the 13th week they are normally producing urine."

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/cy/renalagenesis.html#:~:text=The kidneys develop between the,amniotic fluid (called oligohydramnios).

Cost to travel to get abortion vs cost to deliver in hospital ?  

think we are missing some info:

From 'Forbes':

image.png.ad29ae56535bd0768dcb3603aa34fa5b.png

From 'Planned Parenthood site':

image.png.04ca3b385b6dcc06356060f65a55b862.png

CNN OP-ED ... nuff said

Edited by KhunLA

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why was it not done before 15 weeks:

"The kidneys develop between the 5th and 12th week of fetal life, and by the 13th week they are normally producing urine."

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/cy/renalagenesis.html#:~:text=The kidneys develop between the,amniotic fluid (called oligohydramnios).

Cost to travel to get abortion vs cost to deliver in hospital ?  

think we are missing some info:

From 'Forbes':

image.png.ad29ae56535bd0768dcb3603aa34fa5b.png

From 'Planned Parenthood site':

image.png.04ca3b385b6dcc06356060f65a55b862.png

CNN OP-ED ... nuff said

Yes you're missing a lot of info, you didn't read the article that would answer your questions including from her own doctor.

I am not pro-life, but it's good for the wymmyns for a change to have a taste of their own medecine and know what it feels like to have their own rights curtailed.

In the US a man gets jail if he walks up to a woman and says "let me give you some money so that we can go to a hotel together and have some fun".

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes you're missing a lot of info, you didn't read the article that would answer your questions including from her own doctor.

I did read the article, and did wonder, why with a 15 week window for abortion, was it not noticed, during first ultrasound, and why was 2nd ultrasound (IF it was) schedule at 24 weeks.

Reads like poor prenatal care to me.  Lack of kidneys, should have been spotted and monitored after the 1st ultrasound, IMHO.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I did read the article, and did wonder, why with a 15 week window for abortion, was it not noticed, during first ultrasound, and why was 2nd ultrasound (IF it was) schedule at 24 weeks.

Reads like poor prenatal care to me.  Lack of kidneys, should have been spotted and monitored after the 1st ultrasound, IMHO.

You didn't read it very well. Her own doctor in a youtube video explains all. Link in article

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You didn't read it very well. Her own doctor in a youtube video explains all. Link in article

I don't care that much to read multiple links or vids about someone, issue I really don't care about.  CNN, I was suspect and curious how they planned on spinning that.

That uncommon common sense, and knowledge I have about prenatal care, counters what patient & doc should have done ... IMHO

Hence the unwelcome outcome which possibly could, should have been avoided ... IMHO

But it is CNN ... 

14 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

This seems like an obvious place for pro abortion charities and donors to step in. Offer financial assistance to people like this who are in financial need.

There is no such thing as a ‘pro-abortion’ charity.

They are ‘Pro-choice’.

Pro abortion does exist, Hershel Walker was pro-abortion. 

20 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

which bans nearly all abortions after 15 weeks

FWIW, DeSantis signed a six-week abortion ban into law three weeks ago and announced it late on a Friday evening.

Most of these short term bans also include waiting periods, multiple visits to a doctor, and waitng for the rapist to be caught, tried and convicted. (that last bit is a mocking of the rules on these bans)

I don't get how these pro-life republican right-wing nut jobs can claim they are pro-life if they allow for ANY abortions. That tells me that they are not really pro-life. If life begins at conception, and abortion is murder, then no abortions should ever be allowed, even in the case of rape, incest, health of the mother etc.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

So you don't care enough about the issue at hand to click on the links in the OP, but use it as an excuse to slag off CNN.......and in the process you get copious amounts of egg on your face. Well done!????

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I don't care that much to read multiple links or vids about someone, issue I really don't care about.  CNN, I was suspect and curious how they planned on spinning that.

That uncommon common sense, and knowledge I have about prenatal care, counters what patient & doc should have done ... IMHO

Hence the unwelcome outcome which possibly could, should have been avoided ... IMHO

But it is CNN ... 

Thanks for the confirmation that you failed in that respect and insinuate that CNN spun it.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

• Like 1

This article on her back in Feb. The medical experts were unfortunately right. Diagnosis by the doctors was not made until she was 23 weeks pregnant. Too late with the 15 week ban.

"Deborah left carrying the scan stamped with the fetus’s gestational age — 23 weeks

Even though medical experts expect their baby to survive only 20 minutes to a couple of hours, the Dorberts say their doctors told them that because of the new legislation, they could not terminate the pregnancy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/02/18/florida-abortion-ban-unviable-pregnancy-potter-syndrome/

36 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thanks for the confirmation that you failed in that respect and insinuate that CNN spun it.

OK, watched the vid, and simply repeats what I read.  Actually more info in the text part.

What CNN didn't do, and what I expect an investigative news reporter to do, is ASK, "why are they not doing ultrasounds earlier, to detect these things", instead of waiting well past the 15 week mark, and should have been done at 10 week mark, and things such as small or no kidneys (since developed at 5-12 weeks) should have been notice, and plenty of time to terminate.

To me, seems to fit with that uncommon common sense.  Not waiting till after 15 weeks, when all local options aren't available.

But again, it's CNN ... 

... who prefer to blame DeSantos & right leaning legislatures, instead of patient & doc's use of prenatal care in a more timely manner ....  IMHO

... I really can't say any more, as I just got 'FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST'

surely someone will report my opinion as trolling, since it doesn't fit with MSM

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

OK, watched the vid, and simply repeats what I read.  Actually more info in the text part.

What CNN didn't do, and what I expect an investigative news reporter to do, is ASK, "why are they not doing ultrasounds earlier, to detect these things", instead of waiting well past the 15 week mark, and should have been done at 10 week mark, and thinks such as small or no kidneys (since developed at 5-12 weeks) should have been notice, and plenty of time to terminate.

To me, seems to fit with that uncommon common sense.

But again, it's CNN ... 

... who prefer to blame DeSantos & right leaning legislatures, instead of patient & doc's use of prenatal care in a more timely manor ....  IMHO

surely someone will report my opinion as trolling, since it doesn't fit with MSM

She had scans before 15 weeks that were fine. It was only after in subsequent scans that an abnormality was found, you need more than one ultra sound to make confirmations. its fully explained in the Washington Post article I just posted as it is in the CNN article if you followed all the links.

But again you prefer to blame CNN rather than the law which caused this situation

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is not pro life, its a new level of cruelty inflicted by dark age laws.

Florida state laws led by the state governor Ron De Santis, a republican.

Who would be surprised at the law, introduced by men, who forbid what women can do with their own bodies.

IMHO at the next state election, ALL the women should vote ALL the men out of office, no matter what their politics.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Florida state laws led by the state governor Ron De Santis, a republican.

Who would be surprised at the law, introduced by men, who forbid what women can do with their own bodies.

IMHO at the next state election, ALL the women should vote ALL the men out of office, no matter what their politics.

'Introduced, voted on, and passed by representatives', that the people of FL elected to represent their views.   It's called a democracy.

This is apparently what the majority of people in FL want.  IF they change their mind, they can change the law.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

'Introduced, voted on, and passed by representatives', that the people of FL elected to represent their views.   It's called a democracy.

This is apparently what the majority of people in FL want.  IF they change their mind, they can change the law.

Recent polling finds the six-week abortion ban is not popular among Florida residents of either political party. A University of North Florida poll in March found 75% of 1,452 respondents said they either somewhat or strongly opposed the six-week ban. That included 61% of Republicans.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/floridas-legislature-passes-6-week-abortion-ban-rcna78988

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Recent polling finds the six-week abortion ban is not popular among Florida residents of either political party. A University of North Florida poll in March found 75% of 1,452 respondents said they either somewhat or strongly opposed the six-week ban. That included 61% of Republicans.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/floridas-legislature-passes-6-week-abortion-ban-rcna78988

"Lawmakers in the Florida House approved the ban on abortions after six weeks of pregnancy in a 70-40 vote. The bill passed the state Senate by a vote of 26-13 on April 3"

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-lawmakers-approve-6-week-abortion-ban-sending-governor-desantis-2023-04-13/#:~:text=Lawmakers in the Florida House,26-13 on April 3.

Appears 64% of the House & 66% of the Senate voted for.  Wasn't even close.  If survey is correct & accurate, I'd say people concerned about such issues should pay attention and correspond with their reps a bit more, or find another state to live in, if they disagree and can't vote them out.

Again, it's a democracy.

Have a pleasant day.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What CNN didn't do, and what I expect an investigative news reporter to do, is ASK, "why are they not doing ultrasounds earlier, to detect these things", instead of waiting well past the 15 week mark, and should have been done at 10 week mark, and things such as small or no kidneys (since developed at 5-12 weeks) should have been notice, and plenty of time to terminate.

To me, seems to fit with that uncommon common sense.  Not waiting till after 15 weeks, when all local options aren't available.

But again, it's CNN ... 

... who prefer to blame DeSantos & right leaning legislatures, instead of patient & doc's use of prenatal care in a more timely manner ....  IMHO

Your attempt at playing the victim is so obvious that it's clear who's been your role model.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"Lawmakers in the Florida House approved the ban on abortions after six weeks of pregnancy in a 70-40 vote. The bill passed the state Senate by a vote of 26-13 on April 3"

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-lawmakers-approve-6-week-abortion-ban-sending-governor-desantis-2023-04-13/#:~:text=Lawmakers in the Florida House,26-13 on April 3.

Appears 64% of the House & 66% of the Senate voted for.  Wasn't even close.  If survey is correct & accurate, I'd say people concerned about such issues should pay attention and correspond with their reps a bit more, or find another state to live in, if they disagree and can't vote them out.

Again, it's a democracy.

Have a pleasant day.

You said: "This is apparently what the majority of people in FL want."

I corrected you, the majority of the people in Florida are against this law.

State Legislators are elected to represent the constituents of their congressional district. They failed.

• Like 1