Will passing Progressive Liquor Bill help small producers and consumers?

snoop1130

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Some of the Thai-based craft beers are quite lovely, yet restricted to consuming on premise only.......and not a value because of their fashionable prices. 

Beer Lao is quite available commercially, as it appears to be the favourite among discerning locals [Farang/Thai] - yet not everyday affordable. 

I live in Isaan and would love to be able to buy beer Lao but it's not available locally anywhere.

I only see it occasionally and usually in Bangkok and Pattaya and other large cities.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

I live in Isaan and would love to be able to buy beer Lao but it's not available locally anywhere.

I only see it occasionally and usually in Bangkok and Pattaya and other large cities.

I know of a place in Kalasin that sells it, pretty much opposite the exit from the Immigration office car park. Tipped off by an AN member, gawd bless him. Not a cheap place though. I buy cases of IPA which work out at 74 baht a small bottle. whereas when I occasionally see it in a supermarket it sells for around 10 baht less. But needs must.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Cj More (previously Cj Express). If you've got one of these in town they sell it. Bt58 I think. This group is reasonably new to Issan. I would check google maps as there might be one in your neibourhood. I think Tops also sell it.

CJ MORE - ชาวปักธงชัยพร้อมมั้ย???????????????? "ซีเจ ซูเปอร์มาร์เก็ต ...

We've had one open recently, but it doesn't sell it. Up to each individual store manager, I guess. Our small Lotus's sells a wider variety of beer than the large Lotus's supermarket.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We've had one open recently, but it doesn't sell it. Up to each individual store manager, I guess. Our small Lotus's sells a wider variety of beer than the large Lotus's supermarket.

Did you ask? Maybe they were out of stock. I'm not sure if individual managers have a choice or maybe it wasn't selling so they pulled it from  that store. Might be worth another look?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

This means 93% of all Thai beer is rubbish. No argument from me. Anything half decent in the other 7% is expensive. 

They taste like p*ss water and then they put ice in.

A few, very few, decent tasting ones are rare, and expensive. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

For future reference:

A monopoly market is where there [is] one seller and a large number of buyers. A duopoly market is where there are two sellers and a large number of buyers ..... . An oligopoly market is where there are [a] few sellers and a large number of buyers.

https://data-flair.training/blogs/market-structure/

The beer market in Thailand is therefore an oligopoly.

Edited by dinsdale

My fridge is kept well stocked but never with The Big 3 swills...Singha, Leo or Chang. ????

Some Thai craft beers I enjoy + Beer Lao Dark & the IPA (when I can find it) and the regular Lager occasionally are all far superior to those almost undrinkable Thai Big 3.

1683247347117.thumb.jpg.2b878986a200a2b7c53053a2656c18b9.jpg1683247353973.thumb.jpg.d25da088c00b165e1feee5145a794590.jpg

1683247350918.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I know of a place in Kalasin that sells it, pretty much opposite the exit from the Immigration office car park. Tipped off by an AN member, gawd bless him. Not a cheap place though. I buy cases of IPA which work out at 74 baht a small bottle. whereas when I occasionally see it in a supermarket it sells for around 10 baht less. But needs must.

Indeed. It's a good little alcohol and cigs place. Kalasin also has a Cj More.

• Like 1