Prayut Might Prolong Rule With Minority Government: Academic

webfact

image.jpeg

Caretaker prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha campaigning in Surat Thani on Wednesday, May 3, 2023.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

CARETAKER PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha might probably be looking to set up a minority government to prolong his rule after the May 14 general election, given overwhelming support from senators, said a noted academic last night (May 4).

According to Thammasat University’s vice-rector Prinya Thaewanarumitkul, Prayut who is contesting to retain power under the Ruam Thai Sang Chart banners is more or less feared to contemplate setting up a minority government in sheer disregard for most voters’ decisions made on May 14.

Prayut might probably need a minimum of 126 MPs out of a total of 500 from the nationwide election in addition to a loyal army of 250 senators to make 376 votes, barely accounting for a majority of lawmakers from both the House of Representatives and Senate, to endorse him as prime minister, Prinya pointed out.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/05/05/prayut-might-prolong-rule-with-minority-government-academic/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

If that happens there will be anarchy in the streets.

Probably not.....as they would be expecting such an act. 

The ruling military aren't gonna give up their positions.

Kinda accepted.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Disgraceful dictatorship workings

It's what they do. 

Some still don't seem to get it.

.....and I know you're not a newbie here RC.

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't think he can influence Army Chief Gen.Narongpan from the King's Guard faction. . 

Think that scenario is already taken care of.

Edited by sherwood

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Disgraceful dictatorship workings

Yes and no. This rule was voted in by a majority of Thai through a referendum on the latest constitutiion. Not a lot of people read the constitution before they gave their vote.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

I have the feeling he will.

you scare me.....I was at the red shirt place a week or two afterwards.....they burned down several buildings and it could have been a much worse fire.

50 minutes ago, h90 said:

you scare me.....I was at the red shirt place a week or two afterwards.....they burned down several buildings and it could have been a much worse fire.

If I can recollect, those implicated red shirts were aquitted by the Courts. You have new evidence? 

I wonder who is this noted academic who make such ridiculous comment. Prayut may be ambitous but he is not stupid. Without the house majority, the government will not function and faces no confidence vote that will force a dissolution. Pure nonsence that he will stay with a minority government. I even doubt that the senators will support him. He is toast. 

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If I can recollect, those implicated red shirts were aquitted by the Courts. You have new evidence? 

my evidence is, I was there and saw the burned houses and everything still smell like burned things.....The evidence were my own eyes. But I am sure you can google and find photos of it. The fires are hardly a conspiration theory and if I remember right the owner even got some money.
(And I am not a fan of Abhisit and I don't think the handling of it was good)

3 hours ago, h90 said:

I was there as well. Walked though the 'fort' a couple of times. All the red, yellow, blue and white uprisings have the Shinawatra clan and their policies at heart. 

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Nothing to do with the man in Dubai, it's about the youth in Thailand getting sick and tired of the military regime, the monopoly fat cat families, and the lack of future prospects of good employment with an equal share in profits.

Sure there are many.....but big demonstrations without payment? Sure some people will demonstrate but not many.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, SoilSpoil said:

I was there as well. Walked though the 'fort' a couple of times. All the red, yellow, blue and white uprisings have the Shinawatra clan and their policies at heart. 

I don't know the white. I have seen the yellow and I have seen after the red, but not while they were active....Yes it was all about Shinawatra....

10 minutes ago, h90 said:

my evidence is, I was there and saw the burned houses and everything still smell like burned things.....The evidence were my own eyes. But I am sure you can google and find photos of it. The fires are hardly a conspiration theory and if I remember right the owner even got some money.
(And I am not a fan of Abhisit and I don't think the handling of it was good)

Did you see the 100 people shot dead by the military?

• Like 1

Just now, MrMojoRisin said:

Did you see the 100 people shot dead by the military?

I know several were shot by the military....and also several military were shot by the protestors.
But that does not justify to burn some random houses.
And my point was: I don't want to have that again, no matter if the red shirts, the man in Dubai or the military is the greater evil. I would rather don't have any of it and boring peace instead.

• Haha 1