Outraged driver: Concrete chunk hits car on expressway, full compensation denied

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: INN

A Facebook user recently took to social media to express their frustration after their car was damaged by a chunk of concrete that fell from an expressway. Despite the incident, they were only granted compensation for car repairs.

The post's author shared their concern, stating, "The expressway has become increasingly dangerous. If I had been driving just a bit faster, the windshield might have shattered, potentially injuring someone in the car."

They went on to describe the incident that occurred on March 29, 2023, near the Bangna intersection, where a piece of concrete from the expressway's edge fell onto their windshield and hood, causing substantial damage, reported INN.

After reporting the issue to the expressway authorities and their insurance company, they were referred to a repair shop. However, due to a backlog of repairs, the shop informed them that their car couldn't be fixed until after the Songkran festival.

image.jpeg

Picture: INN

With a broken windshield and a dented hood, the vehicle is now undriveable and must be parked in the garage while awaiting repairs – an inconvenience for someone who relies on their car daily.

Expressway officials initially offered no compensation beyond car repairs, a decision the Facebook user found unacceptable.

They questioned the fairness of this outcome, asking, "Should drivers and road users have to accept this situation? What if a garbage collector, motorcyclist, or pedestrian were injured or killed as a result? Can you still deny responsibility in that case?" They wondered if the expressway governor would demand more compensation if they experienced a similar incident.

In light of the near-fatal event, the user seeks advice from knowledgeable and experienced people on how to proceed.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

What if a garbage collector, motorcyclist, or pedestrian were injured or killed as a result?

What if Superman worked for the Germans????

Just another "What if" question

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could take the matter to a civil court, but of course there's the usual hefty legal costs involved to fight for justice and most times, when seeking relatively small amounts, it just isn't worth it.  Life isn't fair.  At least the repairs are covered.  Out of pocket costs for a budget end car rental for the inconvenience should be obvious but alas not in this case. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Free rental car until job done would be appropriate, plus any out of pocket expenses incurred on first day or two - taxis etc..

But TIT, I was involved a road accident a few year back, the taxi insurance company paid out a whooping 250baht - the pharmacy receipt for that spray you put on aches and a few tablets, I couldn't get confirmation they would pay for hospital on the day and I was pretty poor back then hence the pharmacy route,  they ignored any further claims,  I was hoping for at least on a night on the town..

Edited by Snugs08

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

"If I had been driving just a bit faster, the windshield might have shattered, potentially injuring someone in the car."

....and if you would have been going a bit slower maybe nothing would have hit your car at all.

But hit and maybe kill someone else, which is all OK then, I guess?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm sure that the premiums paid for this insurance policy is for the very basic one, leaving the injured party out pocket and car, I would have sued the construction company for better compensations and would have won.

Of course you would have won ????

22 hours ago, aussienam said:

Could take the matter to a civil court, but of course there's the usual hefty legal costs involved to fight for justice and most times, when seeking relatively small amounts, it just isn't worth it.  Life isn't fair.  At least the repairs are covered.  Out of pocket costs for a budget end car rental for the inconvenience should be obvious but alas not in this case. 

A few years back, a taxi hit my car.
The insurer of my car, Viriyah, send my car to the repair station where they told me that the repair would take 5 a 7 days because the sensors on the bumper were not in stock.
I asked Viriyah for a replacement car and the forwarded ne to another insurance company which is doing the replacement cars.
Sorry, I forgot the name of that company.
The company gave me clearance to rent a car for 5 days, but with the max at 500 baht/day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2023 at 2:20 PM, dingdongrb said:

....and if you would have been going a bit slower maybe nothing would have hit your car at all.

Or, it would have fallen just in front of his car, and his car would have gone flying up in the air, as we've seen in recent videos?

6 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Or, it would have fallen just in front of his car, and his car would have gone flying up in the air, as we've seen in recent videos?

...or someone else could have hit it before he even got to that point.

....or.....or......or

On 5/5/2023 at 6:48 AM, ezzra said:

I would have sued the construction company for better compensations and would have won.

How would you have done that?

The winning bit I mean. You rich? Connected?

Or maybe you are another Facebook member?

On 5/5/2023 at 7:21 AM, steven100 said:

in all fairness,  the compensation should be the total repair costs and either a rental car or spare vehicle provided until the damaged car is fixed.  It is not the road users fault that the shop cannot fix the car in a few days.  

In all fairness, it's not the shop's fault that Songkran traditionally screws up all sorts of situations, even planned ones, year after year.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1