Fun-loving UK teenager dies after taking drugs at Full Moon party in Thailand, inquest reveals

webfact

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

..and a culture that encourages drug use 

Still less dangerous than a culture that encourages kids to operate motorcycles, imho.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, paulikens said:

Quite a lot of monks on here by the sounds of it. with their "I have never taken drugs"  so perfect! you are truly great role models. 

Don't get offended. It's a personal choice. 

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

The reason no alcohol or very little was sold is because , a common side effect for most people who have taken "ecstasy" is that beer tastes highly unpleasant The other more pleasant side effect is the enhanced enjoyment of music which often accompanied by the feeling an urge to dance. 

Many of the night clubs, in an attempt to mitigate loss of profits due to low beer sales often sealed up taps in the toilets and attempted to sell water at vastly increased prices. It was this that lead to a few cases of serious dehydration, it was not a pharmacological effect of the drug itself

More interesting to you may be the case of a girl called Leah Betts who was alleged to have been the first "ecstasy death" in the UK. However it was subsequently discovered that the cause of her death was not the ecstacy itself or indeed dehydration. Quite the opposite in fact, as , following advice from her friends and indeed the government she went to great lengths to avoid dehydration, she was found to have drunk an excessive amount of water , 6 liters in one hour I think was the estimate. This was officially recorded as the cause of her death if I remember correctly.  I don't think that small detail ever made it to the front pages 

Yes I remember the Leah Betts case very well and you are right it was overhydration that killed her.

I am not sure what the lethal dose of MDMA is, probably very very high.  I am in favour of controlled supply so the strength and impurities are known coupled with education in how to take it safely.  It seems to have very little downside and the upside is enormous where it replaces alcohol.

You are correct in saying alcohol tastes awful with MDMA use and from what I understand, the clubs running on MDMA only provided hot water in the toilets for the reason you describe.

3 hours ago, bananafish said:

I won't call you any names for your choice to never take drugs, I respect it. 

But ecstasy doesn't give you a "false" feeling of pleasure, any more than paracetamol gives you a "false" feeling of pain relief. 

You obviously have no clue what mdma\ecstacy or does so you may want to check your research before posting nonsense

Not to sound unsympathetic, but people die from overdosing drugs all over the world every day. This is just not a big surprise. In 2021, over 100,000 died in the US, from over dosing drugs. Granted, we are talking about a very, very broken nation. Same can be said of the UK. Most would not consider ecstacy to be of a high risk nature. Oxy, Fentanyl, yes. Almost a death wish, in my opinion. 

When I was younger I did alot of LSD, mescaline, peyote, speed, etc. Never considered for a moment, it could be fatal, and it rarely was. Who knows what she mixed it with, could have been a bad batch, she could have had a weak heart, etc., etc. Many variables. 

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Wouldn't the difference be whether or not such substances are given to you by a doctor or by a stranger in a nightclub?

Heroin has health (pain killing) benefits when given by a doctor, usually to the terminally ill, but not if taken recreationally.

Indeed that would be a major difference. I wonder what percentage of consumers buy from irregular suppliers? Anyhow, that boils down to quality controls, not the reason for, or ethics of consumption.

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I don't want to hear anymore of your justification for the use of illegal drugs.

Who decides which drugs are legal and not? Your use of that term as your justification means your thoughts on this topic are as you are told to think. You might be surprised to know the issue is way more intricate that you can imagine.

Edited by DualSportBiker

She took a pill because she was fiercely independent. MDMA it was probably not.

I was just lucky to get proper LSD growing up and not chemical cocktails. Legalize and regulate would be a fair solution.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Did you realize the potential risks involved with partying when you were 18?

Yes, I did. 

Although drugs were everywhere when I was 18 and I was considered square not to partake, I was aware that the source of "party drugs" was unknown and the safety of those drugs was suspect.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

One would never know what ingredients are in home manufactured drugs here or anywhere in the world 

Sure, but if there was something wrong, you would think there would be more than one person affected.

More likely she had an adverse reaction but there was nothing "wrong" with the pill.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sherwood said:

She took a pill because she was fiercely independent. MDMA it was probably not.

I was just lucky to get proper LSD growing up and not chemical cocktails. Legalize and regulate would be a fair solution.

She took drugs to fit in with other drug takers. Not independent at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Sure, but if there was something wrong, you would think there would be more than one person affected.

More likely she had an adverse reaction but there was nothing "wrong" with the pill.

Some people take 2.

2 hours ago, Dan O said:
6 hours ago, bananafish said:

I won't call you any names for your choice to never take drugs, I respect it. 

But ecstasy doesn't give you a "false" feeling of pleasure, any more than paracetamol gives you a "false" feeling of pain relief. 

You obviously have no clue what mdma\ecstacy or does so you may want to check your research before posting nonsense

He means that the feeling isn't "false" because the drugs causes the same "pleasure response" in the brain as doing something pleasurable does.  Thee feeling isn't "false" so much as "artificially stimulated".

With the analogy with paracetamol, he's saying that also generates a real feeling of pain relief, even if it doesn't stop the thing that causes pain so much as interrupt the pain signals.  So again, it isn't false, but it is artificially brought about.

11 minutes ago, cdemundo said:
13 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Did you realize the potential risks involved with partying when you were 18?

Yes, I did. 

Although drugs were everywhere when I was 18 and I was considered square not to partake, I was aware that the source of "party drugs" was unknown and the safety of those drugs was suspect.

But it seems that you realise that you were an outlier, so presumably you do know that most 18 years olds don't realise the risks, or think it won't happen to them.  (Which with ecstasy, they're kind of statistically correct if it's a one time thing.)

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Rarely?  So you did die from drugs a few times?

I was referring to the countless people I knew. I did know some who died of heroine, but never hallucinogenics. 

But, that was a good one. Keep up your humor. We enjoy it! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

But it seems that you realise that you were an outlier, so presumably you do know that most 18 years olds don't realise the risks, or think it won't happen to them.  (Which with ecstasy, they're kind of statistically correct if it's a one time thing.)

I would guess 99% know the risks. Rather clueless to not know.

the autopsy says MDMA toxicity is the cause.

MDMA overdoses are very very rare, but this still doesn't mean there was something wrong with the pill.

MDMA toxicity and the risks to experience adverse effects, potentially lethal, increases with repeated drug abuse. the body's tolerance for MDMA decreases the more often the drug is consumed.

Lots of drugs to be had in the 70s, but I stuck to beer wine and whiskey, and wasted

a bunch of money on women as well. I managed to become a senior, and only take

the drugs that my doctor prescribes.

No one is often forced to get involved with drugs. Just my point on the matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stargeezr said:

Lots of drugs to be had in the 70s, but I stuck to beer wine and whiskey, and wasted

a bunch of money on women as well. I managed to become a senior, and only take

the drugs that my doctor prescribes.

No one is often forced to get involved with drugs. Just my point on the matter.

Absolutely!

I was sailing in the high seas late 70's and in my younger days - eating, drinking and dancing was the norm. But drugs and gambling , although freely available,  was an absolute NO.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

It is a fair assumption because firstly, when making chemical batches that are metered out in such small doses, kilos of the stuff are produced, not individual pills. Secondly, It would be very hard to get a batch to crystallise without it being mixed sufficiently to have even distribution of all component elements.

These drugs are made in makeshift labs, often in a hurry, so don't expect the same cleanliness or consistency of a mix as for drugs made by pharmaceutical companies.

There is no incentive for the illegal drug producers to have any kind of product quality control.

14 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Wouldn't the difference be whether or not such substances are given to you by a doctor or by a stranger in a nightclub?

Heroin has health (pain killing) benefits when given by a doctor, usually to the terminally ill, but not if taken recreationally.

Heroin has pain killing benefits whether prescribed by a doctor or taken "recreationally"   That is why addicts feel the need to take it. Nothing deals with the pain of withdrawal as effectively, and other than the issue of "quality" it makes absolutely no difference to the user whether it is supplied by a doctor or a dealer

The word "recreationally" is actually somewhat inaccurate when used to describe heroin usage, the "recreational " phase is relatively short lived for most people, and the reason for taking it soon changes to one of necessity as physical addiction starts to take hold. There is no recreational value in taking heroin just to feel "normal" as once that stage has been reached the "fun" aspect has gone forever , and its  even worse when one needs to take it to avoid feeling like death warmed up.

Alcohol for some people works in exactly the same way, there is a huge difference in the user experience for  those who enjoy a few glasses of wine with a meal or a fine brandy with a cigar afterwards when compared to an alcoholic satisfying their craving.

However nobody here has suggested that alcohol should be supplied by a doctor, despite its dangers, I wonder why that is.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'd think kids were better educated than we were in the '60's', when after things like 'Reefer Madness', we simply stopped believing anything they told us.

Though the harder and newer drugs, info now is very accurate, and should be heeded.  But then, people still smoke cigs, so there's is not much hope of rational thinking with some.  Peer pressure's a bitch.

The prospect of the 'adventure' outweighs common sense with some.  Accepting stimulants from a stranger, that's just wrong, anytime, anywhere.

Life's choices and a sad outcome with that one.

R I P

Edited by KhunLA