Have you tried the Yindii app ?

So apparently there's an app called Yindii that aims at reducing food waste.

The company is partnering with local businesses to organize "happy hours" so to say.

So essentially you can get daily massive discounts on different products (probably mostly fresh stuff like cakes sandwiches).

Anyway. Has anyone here tried it yet ? If so how is it ? Worth it or not so much ?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Never heard of it and cakes n sandwiches don't figure in my diet.

Just tested the app. It sucks. Few shops are participating and all of them are in BKK. Prices are pretty high on top of that. I'm surprised you didn't hear about them though. This is a screenshot of their homepage.

387255529_Capturedcran2023-05-05143816.png.284bc9b6caeed39f609ef77afb984831.png

Edited by GameMaster
  • Like 2

Yindii or Yin Dee is Thai for "You're Welcome".

IME perishables like food are better bought locally. I don't even buy Grab or Food Panda meal deliveries, it's anyone's guess how long the food is in a bag on the back of a scooter.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ArnieP said:

Grab has measures in place to protect the customer regarding hygiene or if deliveries  are delayed.

I wonder what that could be...........a microwave in the box on the back of the bike?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArnieP said:

Possibly.

However, with the Grab app there’s no guessing. A live map within the app shows exactly when a product leaves a supplier and the route the delivery driver takes. Users are informed moment by moment where the driver is and when a delivery will arrive.

It will generally be quicker, particularly for those without personal transport, to have Grab do the waiting and collecting then navigate traffic in order to make a delivery. Whichever way, items are going to be subject to delay (and cool down in the case of cooked food) but Grab has measures in place to protect the customer regarding hygiene or if deliveries  are delayed.

Some may dispute the validity of using Grab and similar but we are all free to make our own choices and judgments.

Is there any independent audit of those measures Grab uses? Back in the day, I learned it was quite possible to have 100% compliance to a standard, and generate 100% defective product. It depends on where Grab sets the bar.

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Back in the day, I learned it was quite possible to have 100% compliance to a standard, and generate 100% defective product.

Reminds me of the original ISO 9000 standard.........

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ArnieP said:

Possibly.

However, with the Grab app there’s no guessing. A live map within the app shows exactly when a product leaves a supplier and the route the delivery driver takes. Users are informed moment by moment where the driver is and when a delivery will arrive.

It will generally be quicker, particularly for those without personal transport, to have Grab do the waiting and collecting then navigate traffic in order to make a delivery. Whichever way, items are going to be subject to delay (and cool down in the case of cooked food) but Grab has measures in place to protect the customer regarding hygiene or if deliveries  are delayed.

Some may dispute the validity of using Grab and similar but we are all free to make our own choices and judgments.

Good on day's when the ambient temperature here in Udon Thani is 116 F.

Ugh.

Still my wife wants to go to the market in UD town this evening. 

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Especially Thai ones; even the ants don't like them!

During my sojourn in Thai quarantine during COVID, the hospital kitchen would provide me with ham and lettuce sandwiches for lunch.

Instead of mayonnaise, the lettuce was anointed with strawberry jam.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, GameMaster said:

Just tested the app. It sucks. Few shops are participating and all of them are in BKK. Prices are pretty high on top of that. I'm surprised you didn't hear about them though. This is a screenshot of their homepage.

I tried it last week... Signed up and all, and then got to the part about adding a bank card payment method in the app, where all the fields were grayed out. Contacted their support, and was told their app currently doesn't have the functionality for bank card payments...even though the app has a place for them, and doesn't tell you it's dead.

Great idea on the app originator's part.... But lousy execution thus far.  I wish they would do better.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, an update here... thanks to GameMaster for starting this thread, and reminding me about Yindii...

So today, because of this thread, I figured I'd take another look at their Android app, since it had been at least several weeks or longer since my original, totally unsuccessful effort at being able to save and use any credit card in their system for payment.

And now to my surprise, they seem to have fixed that prior problem. Today, I was able to use and save one of my U.S. debit cards as a payment method and make a successful order and purchase thru Yindii.  So it appears they finally got around to straightening out their prior payments mess.

Now, you have a choice of:

--using and/or also saving a VISA or MC debit/credit card via the 2C2P payments portal.

--using an AMEX or UnionPay international card

--using the Thai PromptPay system

--doing a direct bank transfer to their Thai bank account:

"Direct transfer to our SCB BANK account : WATAWASTE CO. LTD - 4160725138

PLEASE send us your bank slip via LINE"

--or using several 3rd party payment methods like Wechat Pay, Line Pay, True Money or AliPay.

All of those become available only after you've chosen an item to order and then proceed to finalize the purchase.  So, will be seeing just how this new service/app pans out.

• Thumbs Up 1

One other note about their offerings, is that they're somewhat speculative:

I placed my order tonight, and it was almost immediately confirmed by the seller and my delivery on the way shortly thereafter....

But the selling vendors may run out or otherwise not have something seen within the Yindii app... so they advise when you order:

"When you pay on Yindii, you place a ""reservation"" for a potential surplus, that may or may not be available. If it's not available, you will be informed at least 1 hour before the pickup/delivery time and be refunded. If it's available, then, it's for you !"

Also, they advise:

Yindii Quality Commitment : Satisfied or refunded

All the products that you can find a Yindii box are perfectly good, hygenic and safe for consumption. If you are not satisfied with the product and think it is unsafe or expired, you can refuse the box at pickup or delivery, you will get a full refund. Conditions are details here"

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Leftover food, delivered in the heat, on spec...

You go first.

I ordered a box of fancy doughnuts yesterday about 5 pm... They were delivered to my home about a half hour later, and promptly went into the refrig.

No difference whatsoever compared to if I had bought the same doughnuts in person at the mall shop at the same time and then carried them back home -- except, I paid about 25% less than the regular price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No difference whatsoever compared to if I had bought the same doughnuts in person at the mall shop at the same time and then carried them back home

Exactly. Makes no difference at all.

What I don't like are their prices. Pretty expensive...

How much did you pay for how much food, TallGuyJohn?

4 minutes ago, GameMaster said:

Exactly. Makes no difference at all.

What I don't like are their prices. Pretty expensive...

How much did you pay for how much food, TallGuyJohn?

box of 6 assorted fancy doughnuts from Hippodough for 405b.

On Foodpanda, could be a little less, or a lot more, depending on the particular doughnuts chosen/provided.

This is probably the closest comparison to what I got, 605b regular price:

Screenshot_4.jpg.8bf3cc2f6fe0dd10db151f3afb3d1355.jpg

So I believe I achieved some decent savings. I didn't get a box of six of their least expensive "classic" doughnuts, which are currently sold for about 390b, as opposed to their fancier "deluxe" or "signature" items.

• Thumbs Up 1