One dies, four cars damaged as concrete falls from elevated expressway

webfact

image.jpeg

A construction worker was crushed to death and four cars were damaged this afternoon (Sunday) when a huge concrete slab fell from the Rama II elevated expressway, which is under construction.

No details of the victim were available at the time of this report.

One driver, Phuriwat Peng-ampai, said that, as he was approaching the accident at about 4.30pm, he heard something moving above, then a huge concrete slab gradually tilted and fell onto the road surface.

Debris from the slab punctured one of the car’s tires and cracked the front windshield.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/one-dies-four-cars-damaged-as-concrete-falls-from-elevated-expressway/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3

I travel to BKK regularly from Petchaburi region, and this incident has often been on my mind as happening at some time. This is not the first incident of concrete elements falling from this huge site.

I travel in the far left lane, scary sometimes with all the lunatic trucks, almost always while passing through this 20 Km area….

• Like 1

Scary stuff... I hate driving anywhere near construction because of this very risk.... 

The deceased will get a nominal payout (50,000 baht ??)... and that’ll be it. 

In another thread concrete fell from an older expressway on to a car - the owner wanted compensation and some posters were disagreeing.

IF the authorities and owners of these companies are not held accountable, this continues to happen. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

From link to OP:_

He urged the expressway project contractor to be more responsible in ensuring safety for drivers and commuters travelling on Rama II Road. 

For reference from The Nation 8 May 2023:-

......the project contractor, CBT Consortium, will be responsible for compensating the deceased and injured workers, as well as the owners of the damaged vehicles.

The consortium comprises China Harbour Engineering Limited, Buriram Thongchai Construction Ltd, and Tipakorn Ltd.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40027365

• Like 1

Note to self:   stop driving under the expressway for the shade ????

If not caught on video and uploaded somewhere, I wonder how often these incidents happen ????

It is crazy, as Thai government likes you to be dead.

You ve probably seen these constructions? image.jpeg.bfa8d994dc60a44e2133f74ec3b930fa.jpegth

Separation of roads (middle of road) by reinforced concrete ! If you hit those, your live changes are really lower. They use it instead of shock absorbing metal railings.

This one is brand new on a road where they expect more traffic.

21 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is crazy, as Thai government likes you to be dead.

You ve probably seen these constructions? image.jpeg.bfa8d994dc60a44e2133f74ec3b930fa.jpegth

Separation of roads (middle of road) by reinforced concrete ! If you hit those, your live changes are really lower. They use it instead of shock absorbing metal railings.

This one is brand new on a road where they expect more traffic.

The reason they use so much concrete is because of who owns those companies.

They have no interest in proper safety barriers because the 'good people' can't make any money from them.

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The reason they use so much concrete is because of who owns those companies.

They have no interest in proper safety barriers because the 'good people' can't make any money from them.

Government is the client, so integer, intelligent :cheesy: people are deciding and approving the plans. There could be of course corruption playing.

This road they made new , for safety (NOT), They made the road way wider, meaning you come out your house and you are instantly confronted with highway traffic. As many people had their house, property already close to the old road. When this road is finished, it will be a beautiful racing track. It already was, but then there are even more lanes.

Instead of lowering the road on some places, they made it higher, so trucks need to speed up to get on top of the hill. People living on lower parts there cant get up on the road normally, as you have to launch yourself to get upon that road. Safety? forget it, they made it worse.

One collision with that barrier and you end up ,,,dead. The road is a crying shame.

My wife"s normal exit of property cant be used anymore, too short too steep. The second is a launch and go one. Of course i cant say a thing about it and probably also not my wife (or she is afraid to do so). I said she should complain and form a group with the other locals  about it.

But no, no one will complain. TIT, mai pen rai.

It is funny making the road wider, if you get to the "center" of the place, there is no place to widen up and traffic lights are working (crossing), so all lanes (3-4) before center have to come together to ..2 lanes again.

You will have lovely traffic jams there then, increase of pollution or they have to break some houses then there? Maybe they will, dont know, still not finished all. 

The reason for widening of road was safety, so my wife told me, instead they made a mess.