Dark predictions as the opposition parties look set to sweep to power in next weekend’s Election

webfact

7 hours ago, Srikcir said:

But maybe now it's time for the electorate to prevail.

It does then the military proceeds with another Junta.

Disenfranchisement of millions of voters happens after every election the military doesn't win. 

Basically every election. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Disenfranchisement of millions of voters happens after every election the military doesn't win. 

Perhaps take a look back through Thai history. You will find out you are well wrong. Lots of coups but count how many after an election.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, marin said:

I think it might be you this time. If you cant see the difference between Future Forward and all other Thai parties you are not looking hard enough. This years election is different by far than any previous Thai election. Its exactly why the dinosaurs are in a state of panic.

Yes future forward is the most decent party that is around. That is why the PTP does not like them much and does not like it that they are (probably) getting many votes too. The PTP wanted all the votes for themselves now they will have to share with a party that (i like to believe but have been wrong before) has some principles. 

It will be hard to form a government this way future forward will be tainted by the PTP. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marin said:

Perhaps take a look back through Thai history. You will find out you are well wrong. Lots of coups but count how many after an election.

They don't happen on election day!

It's a few months after.

There hasn't been an elected government that hasn't been toppled in a coup in generations

Get your facts straight. 

Coup supporters make me sick! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_coups_in_Thailand

Edited by MrJ2U

4 hours ago, h90 said:

Bangkok Post had an article/poll that was with the opposition just a small victory. The poll was very different than the other ones. Either some polls are propaganda or just too cheaply made.

I see after the election the banning of 2 parties or at least some people from these parties, as there are already wrongdoings that look obvious that are reported to the EC. When the parties are disbanded you can cheaply buy some of their MPs. I can't imagine what shocking discovery?

The problem with political polls is that there are so many and have differing results. If you don't like any of todays, there will be more tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The problem with political polls is that there are so many and have differing results. If you don't like any of todays, there will be more tomorrow.

yes they are also a tool for marketing.......In other countries were some scandals of fake polls....would of course never happen in Thailand ????

56 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Thailand's powerful Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwan and his $1.5 ...

That's just little fatty and I would suggest just the tip of the iceberg. Prayut has corrupted any sense of 'democracy' in Thailand buy changing the constitution, moving the goal post during the last election, getting rid of the opposition through a constitutional court stacked with more of his paid off lackeys and of course his 250 bought off mates in the senate to vote for him. He is a coup making general. He is there for the power not the people. He is a complete ____ and the people of Thailand have had enough. Fanboy or not he is either gone legitimately or the people will take him down. I wonder where he will find exile? China maybe?

yes that is bad....but pretty much a nothingburger in Thailands corruption......Getting some free watch for a million. It is more embarrassing...actually very embarrassing....

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Without those Red Shirt protests there would not have been an election called in 2011. 

I can't remember the details but he promised an election before 2011 and than broke his promise. 2011 was the regular date (2007 the previous so it had to be 2011).
That was all bad....the way Abhisit came to power....the way he did his job....the red shirts, the end of it....that was some of the lowest Thailand could get.

I hope that does not repeat itself....(neither with red nor with yellow nor with any new color)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes that is bad....but pretty much a nothingburger in Thailands corruption......Getting some free watch for a million. It is more embarrassing...actually very embarrassing....

What matters now for Thailand is Prayut either listens to the people or not. If he does maybe it will be the same with self serving corrupted politicians or just maybe MFP will change things. If Prayut doesn't listen to the will of the people and uses his corrupted system to stay in power then as I have been saying Thailand will explode.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Dark for the current Pm and his friends , indeed but a glorious bright future for the country and its people.. At last a Government of the people , as long as it lasts, 

You are very optimistic. Has a Thai government  ever really worked for the people for their glorious future??

Unless you mean by people the people at the top, their privileges and wealth has been preserved by every government in a country that has one highest inequality in the world. There is a glimmer of hope,if the young blood of the Move Forward Party gets to form the government(which would make another coup more likely)The populist measure of the Shinawatra crime family feel good for while (and guarantee their support in Isan and the north),but don't lead to systemic changes. 

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

What matters now for Thailand is Prayut either listens to the people or not. If he does maybe it will be the same with self serving corrupted politicians or just maybe MFP will change things. If Prayut doesn't listen to the will of the people and uses his corrupted system to stay in power then as I have been saying Thailand will explode.

When MFP takes over the will take over the gravy train and some different self serving corrupt politicians will steal the money.....so not much change.
But it is expected that whoever wins the other side will make troubles....they yellow also start to warm up. And there are already cases at the EC for disbanding parties....
Hope it won't be too bad.....

7 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

You are very optimistic. Has a Thai government  ever really worked for the people for their glorious future??

Unless you mean by people the people at the top, their privileges and wealth has been preserved by every government in a country that has one highest inequality in the world. There is a glimmer of hope,if the young blood of the Move Forward Party gets to form the government(which would make another coup more likely)The populist measure of the Shinawatra crime family feel good for while (and guarantee their support in Isan and the north),but don't lead to systemic changes. 

The Move Forward is owned by an oligarch and heavily supported from outside.....So it will be only other people who feed on the tax payers money...But no one care for the poor people, they are just a way to get to the feeding trough

• Like 2

I'm not interested in Thai politics because a) I'm not Thai; b) I can't speak Thai; and c) I'm not interested in politics.

Although, my Thai wife (and long-time UK citizen) is interested in Thai politics and for reasons of their own, my wife and MiL are Prayut voters. I don't get involved and just nod in agreement like a good husband.

What I'm trying to say is - and entirely selfishly - I prefer the general peace and quiet since 2014 over the potential for turmoil after next week's election. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, h90 said:

When MFP takes over the will take over the gravy train and some different self serving corrupt politicians will steal the money.....so not much change.

I think you are wrong. There is a new generation. MFP understand the youth vote. The youth votes are future votes. The corrupt dinasaurs are the past. MfP are also and will be getting middled aged votes from those who were Thaksin voters and the yellow shirts who are not the ultra conservative royalists. I undestand corruption Thailand  is how it this country works and is begrudgingly accepted by the populice but I'll guaruntee you the populice would be happier without it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, h90 said:

The Move Forward is owned by an oligarch and heavily supported from outside.....So it will be only other people who feed on the tax payers money...But no one care for the poor people, they are just a way to get to the feeding trough

The poor people vote for those they believe will best improve their lot in life.

Unsurprisingly, all of the current polling shows PT and MF monopolising that voting segment.

Perhaps you are not quite as informed as you believe yourself to be.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Good for you.

General peace and quiet is not everyone’s experience of the last 9 years and the general peace and quiet that you’ve experienced has come at a heavy price for many others.

But it wasn't any different before so peace and quiet it is.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Were you aware of the student protests for weeks and a State of Emergency was imposed to quash the pro-democracy protests. Were you aware of the numerous arrests without charges? Peace and Quiet??? What a strange comment. 

Yes.

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Relative to what? Please explain.

I've already explained myself.  

Let's see what happens next week and thereafter then you'll understand if the situation descends into total chaos. 

You're still not listening. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I've already explained myself.  

Let's see what happens next week and thereafter then you'll understand if the situation descends into total chaos. 

You're still not listening. 

So relative to an assumptive event. 

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

It does then the military proceeds with another Junta.

This has been the case and cycling actions since the 1930s. 

As evident of the frequent military/monarchical coups that are an instinctive way of life. 

A protection racket. 

A deeper [unconscious] mindset that requires dissolving. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Good for you.

General peace and quiet is not everyone’s experience of the last 9 years and the general peace and quiet that you’ve experienced has come at a heavy price for many others. Good to know other people’s pain and suffering means nothing to you, especially since it would cost you absolutely nothing to acknowledge the abhorrence of what has been inflicted on the Thai people for decades in the name of greed and…. selfishness.

Can you imagine what the world would look like today had history been populated with more people that thought as you do?

Kudos. At least a few recognize the historic aspect that such mindless perpetuation has been a part of Thai life for a few generations. 

Thailand election: The young radicals shaking up politics

Two candidates, one a former coup-supporter, the other an anti-coup street protester. Both now aiming for parliament to, well, move Thailand forward.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65491533

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Indeed Thailand is not willing to reform, although it is very needed, but there is a chance now with the young ones, with new views because of the internet and hopefully a better education that shows how unfair the richest is getting richer, and surely the Shinawatras not want as anew coup glooms as the family wants to bring back the ones in Dubai. Yes I am optimistic, but I think i will be disappointed

• Like 1