Why Thai education reform is a complete flop

webfact

6 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I was previously excited about the internet opening their minds but sadly it is 99% Thai content + inane tic tok type garbage

Same here. It's hard to believe about 20 years ago there was once a program called "One Laptop Per Child".

The belief was that if we could create cheap laptop computers, give them Internet access, and hand them out to impoverished, disadvantaged kids out in some villages, my God, miracles would happen. With easy, instant access to information, the kids would soon fill their heads with knowledge, complete courses on their own, learn valuable new skills, learn about agriculture and farm machinery to take their reins from their parents, or discover new career paths.

Hahaha. The kids now all have powerful computers in their pockets, with the fastest Internet ever, and we all know what happened instead.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I know we where hoping to see the new curriculum rolled out at the Wat School the stepdaughter goes to in BKK but as the article says it was not.  The Government Education Ministry program has had plenty of time to find new books and move forward.  My view is that they want to keep it as it is and not let the students truly learn what the world truly is about.  Students need to learn about world geography and world history, not just learn about the old Thailand and everything within the countries borders.  

The internet has opened up the step-daughters eyes and she readily asked questions and watches stories about the different countries.  Happy she will be starting class next week finally as she will keep her teachers on there toes with questions, or maybe they will try and close her eyes and ears and tell her what she has seen is all fake.

And, hopefully not, it will remain as is, 'students should not ask questions it's not polite to the teacher'.

Or worse punishment for trying to ask questions. Happned to my Thai son, went to a school where strongly encouraged to ask questions. Had to return to a typical gov't school, asked a question and was severly punished, failed for 2 semesters.

Ultimtely the above all relates to the fact that many teachers are not capable / don't have the knowledge to answer questions. i.e. they know the correct (mosty correct) answers but they don't know why it's the correct answer.

And it goes back even further, most of the current teachers weren't allowed to ask questions when they were kids and the scenario continues. 

Further, 99% of the current teachers have had no training in student centered teaching/learning and they therefore refuse to adopt the new methods, because they don't know 'how to do it'!

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, newnative said:

Just no will to make the major changes needed.  Thailand is falling behind all of the other Asian countries--it gets worse each year.  Gross incompetence.  I still remember the cave rescue.  The only player who could speak English was a non-Thai.  So embarrassing for Thailand--or it should have been if they could be embarrassed.  

Yes. The Burmese (Myanmar) are better at English than the Thais. So are the Cambodians and Vietnamese. Source not really needed, but added to appease any question:  https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And, hopefully not, it will remain as is, 'students should not ask questions it's not polite to the teacher'.

Or worse punishment for trying to ask questions. Happned to my Thai son, went to a school where strongly encouraged to ask questions. Had to return to a typical gov't school, asked a question and was severly punished, failed for 2 semesters.

Ultimtely the above all relates to the fact that many teachers are not capable / don't have the knowledge to answer questions. i.e. they know the correct (mosty correct) answers but they don't know why it's the correct answer.

And it goes back even further, most of the current teachers weren't allowed to ask questions when they were kids and the scenario continues. 

Further, 99% of the current teachers have had no training in student centered teaching/learning and they therefore refuse to adopt the new methods, because they don't know 'how to do it'!

Sadly, this is part of the culture. Cannot be seen to challenge authority or elders. Healthy discussion would lead to better understanding and thinking. From what I've seen in Thailand over last 23 years, thinking is not encouraged. Just do as you're taught and don't buck the system. Free thinking and analysis is what is needed. Not blaming the teachers, rather the system and culture. The Thai government would do well to copy nearby countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong (well at least formely) when it comes to education.

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Same here. It's hard to believe about 20 years ago there was once a program called "One Laptop Per Child".

The belief was that if we could create cheap laptop computers, give them Internet access, and hand them out to impoverished, disadvantaged kids out in some villages, my God, miracles would happen. With easy, instant access to information, the kids would soon fill their heads with knowledge, complete courses on their own, learn valuable new skills, learn about agriculture and farm machinery to take their reins from their parents, or discover new career paths.

Hahaha. The kids now all have powerful computers in their pockets, with the fastest Internet ever, and we all know what happened instead.

OMG! Was that really 20 years ago? How things have changed and progressed. Even Thai authorities still find it difficult to answer email.