Crafty Thai woman allegedly steals British tourist’s Rolex in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, kennw said:
2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't even understand why people need to wear a watch nowadays.

To tell the time of course, some people are not addicted to phones. 

So they’re addicted to watches instead…? ???? 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I wonder what type of Rolex it was because all the RRP for Rolex are nothing like the price he said. Most is about 600,000 Baht. Was it maybe a copy but is shy about admitting it?

The market value is considerably higher than retail. 
2nd hand steel Daytonas sell for 1mil +

6 minutes ago, Adywhu said:

Makes no sense to me, Very few leather strapped Rolex's about so why take it off to shower, and if you did why would you take it off and put it in yours shorts?

You always shower with your watch on? sleep ???

I’d assume most people take their watch on....     some silly thoughts on here so far - the owner was just careless with his belongs and got ripped off... thats about it.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And a shower in the middle of the night? Did he mean when they got in from being out, or he just always gets up and showers in the middle of the night, I am a little confused with this part......

"...shower in the middle of the night?"

You've not noticed how hot it has been lately and he had been (presumably) banging the bint in his bed!

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d assume most people take their watch on....     some silly thoughts on here so far - the owner was just careless with his belongs and got ripped off... thats about it.

Yes I have a Breitling, which I shower and sleep in hasn't been off my wrist in years.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...shower in the middle of the night?"

You've not noticed how hot it has been lately and he had been (presumably) banging the bint in his bed!

Without exception, a Thai lady will ALWAYS insist that you shower before getting into bed (whatever time of night it is). That was my experience anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I wonder what type of Rolex it was because all the RRP for Rolex are nothing like the price he said. Most is about 600,000 Baht.

Try and walk into any authorised Rolex dealer world wide and try and get any Rolex, let alone a desirable  model which may have a few years waitlist for favoured clients. 

...  The second hand market on these watches is always higher than RRP. 

50 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Was it maybe a copy but is shy about admitting it?

yes.. because it would be worth all the effort of reporting the theft of a knock off watch to the police, right ?  :whistling:

2 minutes ago, Adywhu said:
5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes I have a Breitling, which I shower and sleep in hasn't been off my wrist in years.

Yes.. I believe you 100%....  

... you expect everyone else to behave the same way you do ?

i bought myself a Rolex in 2000 after having a particularly successful year.

I wear it here in Thailand on the very rare occasion.

But for sure, would never wear it in Dog Sh@t City........oops...I mean Pattaya

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

So they’re addicted to watches instead…? ???? 

Your remark in jest is actually not far fro the truth. 

Some people are collectors and actually enjoy the pieces just as artists enjoy art or a car enthusiast may enjoy specific models or certain classic cars. 

There are a handful of specific watches that I really like and want.... From a Blackdial-Date Submariner, to the NTTD Seamaster...   Then there is the Tag Monaco which IMO is an excellent dress watch...   (all depends what you are doing / where you are etc).... 

They’re just nice watches and complete an outfit, as to many various watches one may like (of any value)... the flipflips, thongs and wifebeater brigade may never understand that. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Rolex of the "wealthy Brit" was a copy, the Thai woman was a Cambodian ladyboy ...
OR
Tommy needs to show up with a rolex to impress a hooker. Som nam na ...

...another example of someone who is limited to seeing the world through their own myopia and project from the optics of their own limited world...   

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Never been there , but I thought Pattaya was more a Timex town .....

regards worgeordie

Think it was more a,  Casio G-Shock town,  back in the day :giggle:

• Haha 1

I wear my gold Rolex everyday in Thailand x 24 hours a day. I never take it off. Touch wood, never had a problem but there again I am not beering it up in Pattaya. One place I don't wear it is - London.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pjuk said:

Hope he has the original receipt from Rolex.

He doesn't but he can tell you he bought it at the high end watch shop right hand side of row across from top top 5 girls told him it make him handsum and it was real

• Love It 1

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your remark in jest is actually not far fro the truth. 

Some people are collectors and actually enjoy the pieces just as artists enjoy art or a car enthusiast may enjoy specific models or certain classic cars. 

There are a handful of specific watches that I really like and want.... From a Blackdial-Date Submariner, to the NTTD Seamaster...   Then there is the Tag Monaco which IMO is an excellent dress watch...   (all depends what you are doing / where you are etc).... 

They’re just nice watches and complete an outfit, as to many various watches one may like (of any value)... the flipflips, thongs and wifebeater brigade may never understand that. 

I completely understand the investment aspect of watches (though very few qualify) but functionally they're primarily jewelry , some extremely gaudy. But I have to admit I dislike any jewelry which is tantamount to adorning a human like a Xmas tree. And in formal smart dress (on a man)won't the watch be mostly hidden under the sleeve?

• Thumbs Up 1

"He said he hopes that publicising his story through the media acts as a cautionary tale for tourists"

Oh, thanks so much for those words of caution.......and here are mine:

"DON'T WEAR ROLEXES AROUND PATTAYA YOU IDIOT!!!!"

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife has quite a large diamond ring...  (it stays in the safe) she had a QZ replica made which she wears at events (weddings etc) or when travelling - Kind of makes the piece pointless, but it has strong sentimental value. 

As for fakes watches - the replicas are so good these days its difficult (nearly impossible to tell) unless the movement is checked.... Thus - IF someone wants the real watch, they could easily have the ‘real one’ then when going somewhere potentially risky while still wanting to wear the watch they enjoy they could ’temporarily’ use the fake... 

Personally, I just have my Apple watch... but thats still 30,000 baht and I don't want it stolen !!!.. 

Would I wear it in Pattaya ??? I don’t know... I’d i probably not even consider the issue and just wear it. 

A US$12,0000 Submariner ???.....   probably not on a night out in the bars etc..

The serious "action man" watch is a prerequisite for many ex "special forces" chaps if out for a beer in that part of the world. It provides a talking point for people to use to interrupt with when practising the"1000 yard stare"!

At one time it was known in British circles as a " Paddy Ashdown watch" after a British political leader and ex Royal Marine Special Boat Service Officer, Paddy Ashdown. Well known for wearing a chunky wristwatch, and (allegedly) shagging his secretary!

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

My old (wealthy) friends wore real Rolex's everywhere over the almost 20 years that I knew them, and never had a problem. The one had the most amazing watch collection. 3 or 4 Rolex's, a Hublot, a limited edition Patek Phillipe (worth around $60k).

Oh yes, I've seen his mugshot on election posters all over the place.

• Haha 2