Honda Steed 400

have a Honda Steed that needs some TLC.

Sadly when I leave it at my good ladies house in Sakhon Nakon the rats eat some cables, and they need fixing added to that as it is always a year or two before I can get back to it the carbs calcify.

The last two visits I have used Pops big bike in Sakhon but this time after two years of Covid things have changed. He kept the bike for two weeks to fix the carbs, but came back over heating and leaking petrol and charged me for it. Sent it back it, came back after another 3 weeks still with a petrol leak and a burnt-out accelerator cable and starter solenoid. The cable did not come off my Bike at all. He charged me again for the work, saying that the leak was from a broken fuel pipe. My good lady’s dad took it back into POPs shop to get the leak fixed finally this time it was 2500B for a fuel pump. He had the bike for 2 months. Now as to the fuel pump I had the tank off myself to find the leak and found it was carbs not fuel Pump.

After doing a little investigating I found he was not doing the repairs at all but was sending them to a small shop in town to do the work. A total rip-off now as to who was doing it Pop or his mechanic is unknown but a ripp-off it was and cost me a lot of money. I finally got the Bike back a week before my flight back to the UK, only to find new the ignition will not switch off and the engine sounds strange nothing like it was. The next day the battery was flat and I have to leave. So, I have it parked up.

I am looking for a good Steed Mechanic, now I used to have the best chap at a Big bike shop in Khon Kaen some 10 years back but sadly Thai roads got the better of his driving and the shop is now no more, God bless him a great guy. Does anyone know where I contact to get the bike collected and repaired. in the Isan region, I see most shops seem to be closed. Are there any good Steed repair shops in Udon? Any help would be well appreciated as I am at my wits end getting the Bike back on the road without all the parts being replaced. I see some places still operating Chiang Mai.

The VLXs are getting long in the tooth now.I used a bloke called Joe in Khon kaen years ago on my 600.He was great with them.There was a guy called "Diamond" in Udon near the main cop shop off the third roundabout in Ubon who was good but it was a decade ago.I have no idea what bike shops/mechanics are there nowadays.

9 hours ago, Merrill said:

I had the tank off myself to find the leak and found it was carbs not fuel Pump.After doing a little investigating I found he was not doing the repairs at all

Sounds like aging run the mill parts of a bike that needs attention at a low skill mechanical level to fix. 

You obviously need to find another bike shop.

With a bike like this of age and you cannot deal with it yourself best to sell it. 

I work on my own bike of 30 years old and repair things or sorce secondhand parts. 

No choice but recently found a excellent mechanic guy in Phayao who fixing big bikes.

He is not cheap but if its a job I don't want to bother with myself at least I know now it can be worked on by a mechanic.

23 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Too bad you're not in Pattaya. 

On Thepprasit, VS motorcycles. 

This guy knows his stuff. 

He's been there for ages, fixes anything with professionalism ????

What he needs is a a good workshop in Udon Thani I see there are several big bike workshops the Big Bike Station is one. 

Found on Google 10 secs. 

You leave your bike with a Thai mechanic and go away for two weeks....!!!!!?

I can't even turn my face away from them for a few minutes, they mess it up big time.... ????

Examples:

I took the bike for oil and oil filter change, walked away for a few minutes, he opened the gear oil bolt (scooter) and emptied it - never asked for it , I had that changed a few weeks before....! 

Went to get coffee , another morron didn't know the water pump propeller knot opens clockwise, not the usual anti-clockwise, but he didn't give up until he broke the knot/propeller/shaft....!!!

Leave bikes with Thai mechanics at your peril.....????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Agusts said:

You leave your bike with a Thai mechanic and go away for two weeks....!!!!!?

I can't even turn my face away from them for a few minutes, they mess it up big time.... ????

Examples:

I took the bike for oil and oil filter change, walked away for a few minutes, he opened the gear oil bolt (scooter) and emptied it - never asked for it , I had that changed a few weeks before....! 

Went to get coffee , another morron didn't know the water pump propeller knot opens clockwise, not the usual anti-clockwise, but he didn't give up until he broke the knot/propeller/shaft....!!!

Leave bikes with Thai mechanics at your peril.....????

Well you did. ????

Yes Thai mechanics do exist it's finding them. 

To various degrees for better words they do a proffesion job. 

As motorcycle engineer myself in my day I've only ever witnessed a very good mechanic actually going right through my Versys 650 engine he was a good kid and his mentor was a trained Kwacka engineer, situated at Nahkon Sawan.

The only other guy is the latest mechanic found in Phayao thanks to a member here. 

I have no idea how people actually learn and get trained here, with so many complex cultural bullsh*t that goes on, like losing face, egoistic approach and pride, I can never tell a Thai he/she is doing something wrong....! It will be a disaster if I confront them, mechanics or even phone repair shop or whoever else,  they look at me in disgust,  like I just shot them ....! Imagine if I told that Thai mechanic he was turning the knot the wrong way ....!!!!!???? 

No idea what goes on in schools or unis or training institutes, how kids are corrected and shown their mistakes...., hard to learn and improve in such culture as far as I can see, hence far behind ...!? 

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I have no idea how people actually learn and get trained here, with so many complex cultural bullsh*t that goes on, like losing face, egoistic approach and pride, I can never tell a Thai he/she is doing something wrong....! It will be a disaster if I confront them, mechanics or even phone repair shop or whoever else,  they look at me in disgust,  like I just shot them ....! Imagine if I told that Thai mechanic he was turning the knot the wrong way ....!!!!!???? 

No idea what goes on in schools or unis or training institutes, how kids are corrected and shown their mistakes...., hard to learn and improve in such culture as far as I can see, hence far behind ...!? 

Bit unfair inexperienced labour can be found anywhere.

As for Thailand dealerships have trained mechanic's but few and far between with many skills. 

I find most are just fitters or just servicing personel, not many have experience of fixing things, it's more of a you need a new part. 

The big wing main Honda dealers cannot work on my bike they say it's obsolete.

True to some extent as parts go but the true is they only want to sell new bikes and work on resent models.