Bangkok expressway operator and contractor threatened with legal action

webfact

image.jpeg
PHOTO: Thai Rath

By Peter Roche

The Department of Labour Protection and Welfare is threatening to bring legal action against the Expressway Authority of Thailand and CBT Consortium, the contractor responsible for the Rama II elevated expressway project.

A worker was killed and another injured when a concrete slab fell from the under-construction elevated expressway on Sunday. Four passing cars were also damaged, with drivers having to swerve to avoid being hit by the huge chunk of concrete as it fell down onto Rama II Road in Bangkok.

Work has been suspended at the site for 7 days, with an investigation launched into the cause of the tragedy, which happened in front of the Index Living Mall in the district of Bang Khun Thian.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/bangkok-expressway-operator-and-contractor-threatened-with-legal-action/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Threatened !!!!

Sue them - DO IT NOW

They should be prosecuted, not sued. 

Criminal prosecution against the several laws and regulation they must have broken which have resulted in a fatal incident. 

The injured parties, family of the victim as well as anyone else that experienced a loss should sue through the civil courts (in addition to the criminal prosecution).

We all know what normally happens in Thailand though, so don’t hold your breath.

• Like 2

Threatened...   BOOM !!!...

And thats it, threads made.....   which will go away with pay-off.... 

Family of deceased will receive a nominal amount. 

There will be no social media or netizen outrage as the deceased was considered an unimportant labourer by the masses... 

There will be no one person in a position of decision making power held accountable.

There will be no change or improvement because that costs money, it takes effort and there is no significant incentive to do so... 

There will be a few more ‘Safety First’ signs, because as we know... those signs make all the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the past I’ve seen threads from posters asking best way to avoid this road. 

I get it...    driving under anything in Thailand is risky. 

Just the other day some concrete fell on a car from an older expressway - the authorities are refusing compensation. 

Last time I drove from Hua Hin I used this road - I’ll think very differently in future and at the very least use the frontage road. 

This is one of the worrying facets of Thailand - the attitudes towards safety and avoidance of responsibility are abhorrent and one of the biggest things I’d like to see improved. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A worker was killed and another injured when a concrete slab fell from the under-construction elevated expressway

I'd like to know how many of these accidents happen,  so many miles of elevated motorways in Thailand. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I see in the video that the car that diligently swerved to miss the huge falling object stopped shortly after. Perhaps they wanted to inspect their car for damage. Personally, I'd be inclined to get the heck away from under the elevated highway.