Fake Driving License Scam Still a Major Issue on Facebook in Thailand

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There are different ways to retire, like putting a small amount in the bank for a few months. 

This is only $20,000 if not married. I mentioned earlier, I would have to INVEST $500,000 to do the same in the USA. If I can't afford it, do you think it is OK for me to become an illegal immigrant? Of course not!

I don't begrudge or pass judgment on those for whom the ‘system’ is made available by officials to navigate a means to stay here - they are not doing any harm to anyone else. 

And, if you wanted to move to the US and can find a way to circumnavigate the US$500k, I wouldn’t begrudge or judge you either.

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If Bert hasn't got $20k, he should go elsewhere, or stay in Blackpool.

High lighting an utter lack of humanity...  particularly if ‘Bert’ has a family here. 

--------

The discussion has taken an interesting evolution - i.e. passing judgement on those who use agents etc...

But, the on Topic point still remains... the subject at hand (Op) is an outright Scam, one where money is stolen and completely fake documents are issued. 

The other examples provided are those where Driving Licence Agents or Visa agents are used to handhold or navigate around roadblocks to aid in the provision of documents which are legally recognised....    There is a big difference. 

Edited by richard_smith237

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The other examples provided are those where Driving Licence Agents or Visa agents are used to handhold or navigate around roadblocks to aid in the provision of documents which are legally recognised....    There is a big difference

True, but some visa agents also give fake stamps, like the big one on Bangkok a couple of years ago. 

I'm sure you remember the Thai woman with foreigner husband, they found heaps of stamps on the premises. 

So, not really much different to the OP. 

Getting any document from agents is much more dangerous that many here realize. 

There is also a precedent of foreigners in Thailand being arrested and jailed after being found to be in possession of an invalid visa or one processed, at any stage, with a forged stamp.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/08/05/american-thai-wife-arrested-operating-an-illegal-visa-business-in-bangkok-using-fake-stamps/

Edited by Neeranam

On 5/9/2023 at 5:50 PM, Jingthing said:

So of they got people actual licenses they would be OK?

What happens to people who try to use such licenses?

My Thai partner obtained her licence a few months ago through a legitimate driving school. She had two days of lessons and a day of written test. Guess what, she doesn't have a clue how to drive and is scared sh*tless to get behind the wheel in Pattaya. Why she bothered I don't know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Does it really matter if a Thai has a genuine license or a fake one? In many cases the driving standard would be exactly the same.

That's somewhat of a different argument because in this case the issue is the scam itself where it was described that in most cases the the money was taken and nothing was a provided.

That said: I do agree with the sentiment that licensing in Thailand is somewhat of a moot point given the quality of testing and ensuant standards. 

In a nation which has such an horrific road fatality rate, where authorities are repeatedly harping on about road depths its very telling how nothing whatsoever is ever attempt to improve the testing and licensing systems.

Given that enforcement is so slack I suspect that IF licensing was more stringent, there would just be more people riding / driving around without a license. 

Well guys my first post here, we'll know soon enough...

I just forwarded the Baht to some agent, im like at a 30% its legit versus but hey ! well see...
I have an international drivers license that they said they can convert to thai ...

Ill report back here. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Disagree 

If you get a visa without qualifying there is definitely corruption involved.

A bit of chicken and egg.... if one obtains a valid visa extension, one must have qualified. Most of the requirements are not obligatory and can be signed off by a high ranking IO

Edited by jacko45k

10 hours ago, RenegadeMtl said:

Well guys my first post here, we'll know soon enough...

I just forwarded the Baht to some agent, im like at a 30% its legit versus but hey ! well see...
I have an international drivers license that they said they can convert to thai ...

Ill report back here. 

Did you find them on Facebook? 

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

'circumventing' immigration requirements is WORSE than getting a fake DL. 

Just because there is a visa in the passport doesn't make it valid. Bent immigration officers sometimes don't do anything as they can see it is their corrupt colleagues who have given the FAKE visa. 

Yes, yes it does. You are incredibly naive.

4 hours ago, rabiedabruce said:

Yes, yes it does. You are incredibly naive.

No it doesn't. Any immigration officer ha the power to blacklist you if you got your visa from a corrupt officer in a different province that you live in. 

When you live in Thailand for a few years, you'll understand that heads of departments like the Immigration can be changed quickly, even governments and like happened recently, thousands of fake visas were found in Khon Kaen and the illegal immigrants are still anxiously waiting for the decision as what is going to happen to them. 

If you can sleep at night, thinking you have a valid visa, fine but remember you are making it worse for those who do it by the book. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

My Thai partner obtained her licence a few months ago through a legitimate driving school. She had two days of lessons and a day of written test. Guess what, she doesn't have a clue how to drive and is scared sh*tless to get behind the wheel in Pattaya. Why she bothered I don't know.

I suggest you persuade her to take more lessons, or her fear will grow and it will have been a total waste of money. Then again, do you want her borrowing your car?

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I suggest you persuade her to take more lessons, or her fear will grow and it will have been a total waste of money. Then again, do you want her borrowing your car?

My aim was to point out that getting a legitimate driving licence in Thailand means nothing and that she would be a danger to herself and others behind the wheel. At least she has the common sense to recognise that, plenty of others don't.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:12 PM, simon43 said:

These scams are all over the Koh Phangan FB pages....

The strange (or not so strange) thing is if they know those other pages are up why are they not working better with social media services getting them shut down? 

• Like 1