Jury finds Donald Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in civil case

Scott

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He only has to say he wasn't there. He declined even to do that.

Yes. He could say:

"Whenever she says I was there, I wasn't there. And I don't know where I was when I wasn't there at the time she says I was there."

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes. He could say:

"Whenever she says I was there, I wasn't there. And I don't know where I was when I wasn't there at the time she says I was there."

He has to say those words to a jury for it to be admitted as evidence. Not to fox news.

• Thumbs Up 2

A post using vulgarities to describe Trump has been removed as well as a trolling misinformation post which included off topic portions.

8. You will not post vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The verdict probably yes but in legal terms, no. Had Trump given any testimony the jury would have been required to consider that testimony on it's merits, just like hers. I guess you buy into the "NY hates me" mantra?

You may be right. The Trump team decided against it.

He denied the whole thing in video tape deposition part of which, at least, was shown in Court.

• Like 2

Just now, JustAnotherHun said:

Hard times to come for (wealthy, prominent or hated) men.
They have to be aware to be convicted for allegations with thin evidence for things they're accused to have done 30 years before.

But at least a good opportunitiy for women to avoid old-age poverty. Just say "Mr. X raped me somewhere somewhen in the last century", find one or two friends to testify "yes, she told me about it", done.

Of course, men are the victims here.

More fuel for that self proclaimed grievance thing that’s all the rage among some men these days.

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

He denied the whole thing in video tape deposition part of which, at least, was shown in Court.

That's funny.  Criminals deny crimes all the time.  Alex Murdaugh denied that he killed his wife and son, but was still found guilty and sentenced to life.  The fact that Trump refused to testify in court under oath speaks volumes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

He also said during the video deposition "stars" have been getting away with sexual assault " fortunately or unfortunately".

It was probably true; however, the three women on the jury probably took that as an admission of sexual predation.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Federal District court verdict is in. Tacopina says they will appeal.

On what basis might they appeal?

Donald Trump’s attorney Joe Tacopina called the jury’s decision in the civil trial Tuesday a “strange verdict,” noting that the jury rejected the rape claim against his client.  

While the jury found that Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in 1996, sufficient to hold him liable for battery, the jury did not find that Carroll proved he raped her.

Tacopina, speaking outside the Manhattan courthouse, said that they would “obviously” be appealing the verdict.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/e-jean-carroll-trump-trial-verdict-05-09-23/index.html

So my guess what they might go after on appeal:

Jury Instructions.

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The Federal District court verdict is. Tacopina says they will appeal.

On what basis might they appeal?

Donald Trump’s attorney Joe Tacopina called the jury’s decision in the civil trial Tuesday a “strange verdict,” noting that the jury rejected the rape claim against his client.  

While the jury found that Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in 1996, sufficient to hold him liable for battery, the jury did not find that Carroll proved he raped her.

Tacopina, speaking outside the Manhattan courthouse, said that they would “obviously” be appealing the verdict.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/e-jean-carroll-trump-trial-verdict-05-09-23/index.html

So my guess what they might go after on appeal:

Jury Instructions.

What was there in the jury instructions which might be grounds for appeal?

I would hate trying to represent Trump, he can't keep his mouth shut when he would be well advised to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What was there in the jury instructions which might be grounds for appeal?

Tacopina already said.

From the original Carroll v Trump complaint:

1. Roughly 27 years ago, playful banter at the luxury department store Bergdorf
Goodman on Fifth Avenue in New York City took a dark turn when Defendant Donald J. Trump
seized Plaintiff E. Jean Carroll, forced her up against a dressing room wall, pinned her in place
with his shoulder, and raped her. 

Edited by jerrymahoney

9 hours ago, Credo said:

So, will he have to register as a sex offender?  A whole lot of glorious things go along with being on the list!

No, it's a civil case. Currently claiming he will appeal verdict.

Trump Lies That He Wasn’t Able to Defend Himself in Rape Trial

"“Waiting for a jury decision on a False Accusation where I, despite being a current political candidate and leading all others in both parties, am not allowed to speak or defend myself, even as hard nosed reporters scream questions about this case at me,” the former president wrote on Truth Social on Tuesday.

This is a lie, Trump has had every opportunity to defend himself in the trial. His legal team informed Judge Lewis Kaplan last week, however, that they would not be presenting any defense."

Stop the presses, trump's lying!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nevertheless, sworn testimony is evidence.

The claim there was no evidence presented is nonsense.

In my past life sometimes we called testify as testi-lie.   Some will know what this means,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

A rape case but he wasn't charged for rape. This is justice? 5 million is a good payout better than any book sale Trumps lawyers are working on his appeal so this may never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOGD9UcrVW8

I wondered how long it would take for a Trump supporter to come long and decry the verdict.

Please tell us if you were in the court, or on the jury and heard ALL of the evidence?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Trump Lies That He Wasn’t Able to Defend Himself in Rape Trial

"“Waiting for a jury decision on a False Accusation where I, despite being a current political candidate and leading all others in both parties, am not allowed to speak or defend myself, even as hard nosed reporters scream questions about this case at me,” the former president wrote on Truth Social on Tuesday.

This is a lie, Trump has had every opportunity to defend himself in the trial. His legal team informed Judge Lewis Kaplan last week, however, that they would not be presenting any defense."

Stop the presses, trump's lying!!!

Trump is not saying he wasn't allowed to defend himself in court, he is moaning about the judge restricting what he was allowed to say outside of court during the trial. Trump, of course, is oblivious to the fact that the only legitimate place to present his defence is in the courtroom. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I wondered how long it would take for a Trump supporter to come long and decry the verdict.

Please tell us if you were in the court, or on the jury and heard ALL of the evidence?

I wasn't in Court. I support all other criminal investigations into Trump. I just think this case may be reversed on appeal. And I think Tacopina has given hint as to how.

• Like 1