Jury finds Donald Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in civil case

Scott

Maybe Trump likes being Carroll's piggybank. It looks like he's setting himself up so she can make another withdrawal.

Live Updates: At Town Hall, Trump Insists, Falsely, That 2020 Vote Was ‘Rigged’
Donald Trump also praised the rioters on Jan. 6, and said he would pardon many of them. He then viciously mocked E. Jean Carroll, who won her sexual abuse and defamation case against him, as the audience laughed along.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/05/10/us/trump-cnn-town-hall

or

https://archive.is/8OtDo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Back him for what?

For conducting a fair trial.

There's probably a better legal term, "affirms the lower court judgement", but I am not a lawyer, nor do I portray one on Aseannow.

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

For conducting a fair trial.

There's probably a better legal term, "affirms the lower court judgement", but I am not a lawyer, nor do I portray one on Aseannow.

That's not how an appeal works. An appeal is almost always based upon a procedural issue.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_related_education_network/how_courts_work/appeals/

Edited by jerrymahoney

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

See you there.

My last 4 trips back to USA pre-COVID were a flight into Atlanta and then lots of driving within the state heading elsewhere. Spent many a night in rural Trump strongholds including Dalton, GA, the congressional home of MTG.

Edited by jerrymahoney

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

My last 4 trips back to USA pre-COVID were a flight into Atlanta and then lots of driving within the state heading elsewhere. Spent many a night in rural Trump strongholds including Dalton, GA, the congressional home of MTG.

Good for you.

But if you’re out are hoping for a ‘Trumpist’ jury, keep in mind millions of Americans are so a-political, they don’t even vote.

I’m quite certain Georgia can impanel an unbiased jury.

I’m also certain that if a Georgia jury does convict Trump you’ll scream ‘rigged’, or words to that effect.

For the record l’ll accept any jury verdict in any Trump trial.

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

That isn't how the trial went down. She had contemporaneous witnesses, he refused to testify.

But the witnesses only said that she'd told them about the event afterwards, there's still no actual evidence.

Except Donald's famous words about "grabbing them by the wotsit"

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m also certain that if a Georgia jury does convict Trump you’ll scream ‘rigged’, or words to that effect.

On what basis do you think I am a Trump supporter?

I only think the Carroll thing was from a legal standpoint a bad case. She said repeatedly in her original claim and in her sworn cross-examination testimony that she was raped. And the jury found that -- based upon the minimal 'preponderance of the evidence' standard -- she was not raped.

This is item 1. of the original COMPLAINT AND DEMAND FOR A JURY TRIAL (their caps):

1. Roughly 27 years ago, playful banter at the luxury department store Bergdorf Goodman on Fifth Avenue in New York City took a dark turn when Defendant Donald J. Trump seized Plaintiff E. Jean Carroll, forced her up against a dressing room wall, pinned her in place with his shoulder, and raped her. 

It does not say : ... pinned her in place with his shoulder and MAYBE raped her.

Edited by jerrymahoney

36 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

But the witnesses only said that she'd told them about the event afterwards, there's still no actual evidence.

Sworn testimony is evidence, especially when backed by sworn testimony from others.

As in this case.

31 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

On what basis do you think I am a Trump supporter?

I only think the Carroll thing was from a legal standpoint a bad case. She said repeatedly in her original claim and in her sworn cross-examination testimony that she was raped. And the jury found that -- based upon the minimal 'preponderance of the evidence' standard -- she was not raped.

This is item 1. of the original COMPLAINT AND DEMAND FOR A JURY TRIAL (their caps):

1. Roughly 27 years ago, playful banter at the luxury department store Bergdorf Goodman on Fifth Avenue in New York City took a dark turn when Defendant Donald J. Trump seized Plaintiff E. Jean Carroll, forced her up against a dressing room wall, pinned her in place with his shoulder, and raped her. 

It does not say : ... pinned her in place with his shoulder and MAYBE raped her.

So why have you got ‘Georgia on your mind’?

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Maybe Trump likes being Carroll's piggybank. It looks like he's setting himself up so she can make another withdrawal.

Live Updates: At Town Hall, Trump Insists, Falsely, That 2020 Vote Was ‘Rigged’
Donald Trump also praised the rioters on Jan. 6, and said he would pardon many of them. He then viciously mocked E. Jean Carroll, who won her sexual abuse and defamation case against him, as the audience laughed along.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/05/10/us/trump-cnn-town-hall

or

https://archive.is/8OtDo

Sounds like another defamation case will be in the works. The Donald just can't shut his mouth and move on....looks like he and his clone Santos will be sharing a cell.  What is it with folks like him who believe they are above all laws?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

One is not found guilty in a civil trial.  

Don't let your narrative get in the way of the truth.

Guilty in a court of law.

He's got 30 more court dates ahead of him.  Perhaps you can start a go fund me page for the psychopathic liar. 

Sad how a former reality star and grifter have fallen. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Sworn testimony is evidence, especially when backed by sworn testimony from others.

As in this case.

This was sworn testimony: during cross-examination:

Ms. Carroll, her voice rising as she testified, said, “I’m telling you, he raped me, whether I screamed or not.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/09/nyregion/trump-carroll-trial-sexual-abuse-defamation.html

The jury decided, based on the evidentiary standard, that he did not rape her. I'm not here going to  characterize what I think of her sworn testimony under oath.

Edited by jerrymahoney

This was sworn testimony: during cross-examination:

Ms. Carroll, her voice rising as she testified, said, “I’m telling you, he raped me, whether I screamed or not.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/09/nyregion/trump-carroll-trial-sexual-abuse-defamation.html

The jury decided, based on the evidentiary standard, that he did not rape her. I'm not here going to  characterize what I think of her sworn testimony under oath.

I accept the Jury’s verdict in full.

I’ll accept each of the Jury verdicts in any Trump trial in full.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes. And I'll accept, if there is an appeal, the appellate court's decision. My reason for thinking the appeal has some merit: Tacopina called the verdict 'strange' and 'inconsistent'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

You are picking a strange hill to die on. Your posting volume, quality and content here on this topic come across as obsessive..

I just think the idea to believe every woman without any evidence is hilarious, especially if she claims to remember what happened 30 years ago and if she makes millions of dollars from this.

I thought that at least most guys in Thailand know that it is not a good idea to believe everything they say.

My buffalo is sick and all that.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yep, even Trump's lawyer was instrumental in picking them, including one who listened to Tim Pool, a far-right, pro-Trump commentator who has aligned himself with figures like Steve Bannon.

Trump lawyer rejected claim that juror’s political affiliation signified bias

But newly unsealed court filings indicate that Trump’s attorney was making a sharply different argument behind the scenes in order to dissuade the judge from ejecting a juror who listened to podcaster Tim Pool, a far-right, pro-Trump commentator who has aligned himself with figures like Steve Bannon.

“A juror’s political affiliation is not grounds for dismissal, even in cases involving a political figure,” said Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina in a May 2 filing that was unsealed by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan on Wednesday. Kaplan ultimately sided with Tacopina’s argument, leaving the juror in place.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/10/trump-lawyer-e-jean-carroll-jurors-00096308

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

They are still witnesses and their testimony does count. It's actually a lot stronger evidence than refusing to even deny the allegations under oath. I can't imagine why the jury decided to believe her and not him.

From https://www.bonalaw.com/insights/legal-resources/calculating-the-deadline-for-a-notice-of-appeal-in-federal-court

Federal appellate courts review judgments and orders of U.S. district courts and administrative courts.

How Long Does a Party Have to File?
A party to a civil lawsuit usually has 30 days from the entry of the judgment or order to file a notice of appeal under FRAP 4, or a petition for permission to appeal under FRAP 5.

FRAP = Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure 

Edited by jerrymahoney

From https://www.bonalaw.com/insights/legal-resources/calculating-the-deadline-for-a-notice-of-appeal-in-federal-court

Federal appellate courts review judgments and orders of U.S. district courts and administrative courts.

How Long Does a Party Have to File?
A party to a civil lawsuit usually has 30 days from the entry of the judgment or order to file a notice of appeal under FRAP 4, or a petition for permission to appeal under FRAP 5.

FRAP = Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure 

So we have 28 more days until we hear what he decided to do.....or what his attorney decided.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So we have 28 more days until we hear what he decided to do.....or what his attorney decided.

Yes. The clock is ticking to file notice of appeal and I don't think "the judge was mean to me" will get them very far.

I just note that Tacopina referred to the split decision as both 'strange' and 'inconsistent'.

9 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes. The clock is ticking to file notice of appeal and I don't think "the judge was mean to me" will get them very far.

I just note that Tacopina referred to the split decision as both 'strange' and 'inconsistent'.

I have never seen a case where a defendant has one charge where he/she is found not guilty while he/she is found guilty on the others called strange and inconsistent and then appealed because the jury did not find not guilty or guilty on all charges.  Is Tacopina a seasoned lawyer........I mean with those comments he seems naïve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1