South African Tourist Injured in Altercation Following Refusal to Pay Bar Bill on Pattaya's Walking Street

webfact

I asked my colleague what is that bell for. He said ring and find out… I found out… luckily there only about 5 people total at the outside bar in daytime…. Made it a point not to set near any bells in the future…

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

I wonder how he ran up such a large tab.

Walking street gogo bars are expensive.

However, the girls tend to be the hottest girls you'll see. If you have the dosh it's definitely an excellent time to be had.

Otherwise theres plenty of other gogo bars outside the touristy walking street that are cheaper.

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Pay as you go is the rule at every bar in other countries.  Thailand bars should learn this simple rule.  You buy food from street vendor, you pay before you get the food.  You buy fruit shake at a street vendor you pay before you get the drink.  How hard is it to collect the money when it is actually spent?  So strange to me.  

Why you wanna make Thailand as boring as the rest of the world? 

• Love It 1

Although a new bar, it's getting a rep for having overzealous security, the bar employs a large number for some reason

I stopped going there a while ago for that reason

I don't think his bill was padded, just buying girls Tequilas for an hour or so, it's easy

16 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Back in my drinking days, I was thrown in the drunk tank at Thong Lor PD for refusing to bay my bar bill.

I was in a QPA bar (Soi22) and had actually rang the bell 2 times.

The bill was around 9,000 Baht, which I refused to pay.

The police were called and the cashier explained to the police that I had rang the bell 2 times and as such I had to buy drinks for everyone in the bar, hence the high bar bill.

I tried to explain to Mr. Plod that I believed that the bill was a tad on the high side, as myself the cashier were the only people in the bar.

They still took me to the station and held me until I accepted to pay the bill, even though the bill was very obviously padded.

I later learned that the bar was owned by the wife of one of the top policemen at Thong Lor station. ????

Thong Lor experienced for real. Sounds like you did well. Most civilians do not. Although the hi-sco types like Red Punk waltz away. Gravy train posting and not cheap.

21 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Did he fall. or was he pushed?

I also noted the paragraph stating the police chose to take him to the police station rather than the hospital with the head injury. and blood streaming down his face!

Nevertheless, I suspect he likely got what he deserved....and it wasn't bumping his head on a step! Shame really, I could have rather a fun evening with extras for something like 9000 baht, much better to wake up with just an empty wallet and good memories, than empty wallet, a shiner and various bruises. 

• 2 weeks later...