ASEAN Leaders Call for End to Hostilities in Myanmar

webfact

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My GF, who is ethnic Karen, and from the areas where the Burmese (Myanmar) military are constantly attacking, has lost many friends to this ethnic cleansing.  Yes Ethnic cleansing is what it is.  They  have tried to expel or rid the country of as many of the ethnic groups as they can.  These are war crimes and my GF believes that the Military has already sold much of the country to China and China is directing these actions.  Until the indiscriminate killings stop and the country tries to regain some form of democracy my GF and her family now in Thailand are scared to return.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/myanmar-history-coup-military-rule-ethnic-conflict-rohingya

Throughout its decades of independence, Myanmar has struggled with military rule, civil war, poor governance, and widespread poverty. A military coup in February 2021 dashed hopes for democratic reforms in the Southeast Asian nation.

One of our staff from Myanmar who was previously very much against the military softened as they protected them against the Rohingya. But pretty much everyone hates everyone....Everyone has death from this conflict in the family. And as it seems every ethnic group has some paramilitary structures. I think China is the only hope to stop that, by building factories, improving economic situation and and holding every group down for a while till everything cools down.

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My GF, who is ethnic Karen, and from the areas where the Burmese (Myanmar) military are constantly attacking, has lost many friends to this ethnic cleansing.  Yes Ethnic cleansing is what it is.  They  have tried to expel or rid the country of as many of the ethnic groups as they can.  These are war crimes and my GF believes that the Military has already sold much of the country to China and China is directing these actions.  Until the indiscriminate killings stop and the country tries to regain some form of democracy my GF and her family now in Thailand are scared to return.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/myanmar-history-coup-military-rule-ethnic-conflict-rohingya

Throughout its decades of independence, Myanmar has struggled with military rule, civil war, poor governance, and widespread poverty. A military coup in February 2021 dashed hopes for democratic reforms in the Southeast Asian nation.

Agree 100% And the world has turned it's back on them. An absolute disgrace. Happening in lots of places but as long as it's lives lost and not money or some percieved military stategic advantage then it will continue. Again shame. Shame on the useless ASEAN and shame on the entire greedy, self serving, power hungry govts. Rant is now finished.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes indeed. China relies on Burma's rich natural resources, especially oil and gas which is pumped from Sittwe in the Bay of Bengal across Burma to Kunming in China. The country has a very big influence in Burma.

Reference (Google):

Since 1989, China has supplied Myanmar with jet fighters, armored vehicles and naval vessels and has trained Burmese army, air force and naval personnel. Access to Myanmar's ports and naval installations provide China with strategic influence in the Bay of Bengal, in the wider Indian Ocean region and in Southeast Asia.

Of all its trading partners, Myanmar traded most with China, which accounted for over 26 percent of total trade volume.Dec 19, 2022

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Karma80 said:

All ASEAN achieves is to highlight the dysfunctional governments of most of the members and how useless it is. A group of like-minded dictatorships, authoritarian one-party rulers, and patronage psuedo democracies.

Birds of a feather comes to mind. 

"The ASEAN policy of non-interference in member affairs has been challenged, and the bloc has become increasingly firm with Myanmar’s junta, which has failed to execute the five-point peace consensus agreed with ASEAN after its coup caused chaos."

"increasingly firm"?  I assume that means more words and nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1