British Man Arrested After Attacking a Tuk Tuk Taxi Driver in Phuket – VIDEO

webfact

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Brits were probably moments away from having a machete pulled on them... 

Yes! The brave young Brit just decided to go for a preemtive strike ????

Indeed... it was perhaps pre-emptive from the optics of any of us who have been here any length of time.... because as things get heated this was clearly a situation whereby given the area and time violence was going to rear its ugly head sooner rather than later... 

But... I doubt pre-emptive in the mind of the British thug... he was just being a thug... just like the Thai guys who tried to attack him as he fled.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok... so its not a case of... 'If you drive into a vehicle, you pay the damage'... so its clearly not 'end of'.

Because, IF and accident happens there also has to be a discussion... So your dumbed down simplification ‘end of’ suggesting isn’t quite as simple is it ????

For me it is, damage will be repaired by a shop i choose.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... it was perhaps pre-emptive from the optics of any of us who have been here any length of time.... because as things get heated this was clearly a situation whereby given the area and time violence was going to rear its ugly head sooner rather than later... 

But... I doubt pre-emptive in the mind of the British thug... he was just being a thug... just like the Thai guys who tried to attack him as he fled.

So you agree he was a thug, but disagree with my comments about discipline?  Mixed messages Mr Smith?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

I had it hard time making it out. The taxi driver hit the tourists? I'll watch it again.

No he didn't, but you could see the heated argument, probably about a hugely inflated amount for a scratch or two, not justifying him being sucker punched but the Brits were just about to get mobbed by Thais, so I do get it, to a point. 

I was just pointing out that it was a somewhat more complicated situation...

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

THAT is where I disagree with you. My "mischief" in my younger days never involved violence or causing permanent harm to others. Nor did I fail to show respect to authorities if approached.

You are using personal anecdote and projecting that onto the lives of millions of younger people decades ago...  The fact remains that there were many thugs and people misbehaving decades ago, just as there are today. 

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

There are some very polite and well-behaved younger people about, but society in the form of the "PC and Woke" crowd seems to not want to PUNISH those who transgress.

My Wife and out were out late in the UK on NYE... loads of young people around, I was quite surprised at how the ‘youth of today’ weren’t quiet as loud, mischievous and obnoxious as they seemed in my day.

Just anecdote of course, I’m sure terrible stuff also happens.

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Hence my earlier comment about lack of discipline. What you term as my bias is simply that I'd prefer to live without fear and know that if anyone harmed me, THEY would be the ones to suffer. That seems fair to me.

I agree with that...  But, sadly...  in Thailand violence as a response to situations like this is common place... amongst Thai’s the penalty would be extremely limited...  I dont want to defend this guy but also do not see why his penalty should be any different from that a Thai would receive... (i.e. slap on the wrist, 500 baht and a wai of apology). 

• Like 2

It still amazes me that people don't realize there are CC cameras everywhere these days but people think they won't get caught. These guys are idiots who don't think, just react. Charged with assault, they deserve prison time and blacklisting. Mind you, The Daily Mail will have a screaming headline, "British Boot Boys Brutally Blacklisted."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

So you agree he was a thug, but disagree with my comments about discipline?  Mixed messages Mr Smith?

No doubt he behaved like a thug... with regards to discipline, his penalty should be no worse than a Thai would receive. I don't believe he should be treated any differently just because he’s a westerner. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So you grew up in the 50s or 60s where the Kray twins ran London peacefully? Or maybe you are a Yank and Al Capone was peacefully running Chicago. 

Two punches does not deserve imprisonment, especially when provoked and will not happen here. The guy just had too much to drink and forgot where he was. In Manchester, this is normal behavior if anyone tries to rob you of money, like the taxi driver probably was. If it was a few hundred baht, they would just have paid.

Laughable.  The Kray thugs were far from "peacefully" - they ran PARTS of London (mainly the East End) with a reign of fear, as did the Richardsons in another part of London. (south of the Thames)

As for "in Manchester etc" that is precisely my point. The authorities  in Manchester or wherever SHOULD have the power to deal with such thugs firmly, INCLUDING imprisonment and / or causing physical discomfort to them.

That's the point...these thugs grew up in UK being allowed to get away with anti-social behaviour, therefore when they travel, they carry their attitudes with them.

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

No doubt he behaved like a thug... with regards to discipline, his penalty should be no worse than a Thai would receive. I don't believe he should be treated any differently just because he’s a westerner. 

I agree with that so perhaps the Thai penalty for such behaviour is also too lenient? Or is there an element of local bias or corruption to be considered? 

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

I agree with that so perhaps the Thai penalty for such behaviour is also too lenient? Or is there an element of local bias or corruption to be considered? 

I think the penalties for aggravated assault are too lenient in many countries and have been for a very long time.. Particularly for the aggressor....  particularly so in Thailand. 

And yes... there may well be some local bias involved in the decision regarding the penalty by the police who may well, inflate ‘damages’ knowing they’ll take their cut. 

This could go either way... 500 baht and a fine...

OR, recalling the story about the guy who played ‘grab-ass’ on the wrong female and was charged 200,000 baht for sexual assault this could be a 100,000 baht penalty (as Neeranam wrote)...  with the police taking a nice cut of course !!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Why does it 'seem' to always involve Brits, usually younger ones, in these type of cases. have they stopped teaching 'manners and politeness' in that country?

It all comes down to their anglo-american culture. Just be glad most of their young american brothers don't have a passport...

• Confused 5

8 minutes ago, chacha boom said:

It all comes down to their anglo-american culture. Just be glad most of their young american brothers don't have a passport...

Posted in wrong place - (replied to wrong poster) sorry :sorry:

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chacha boom said:

Anglo American culture, I don't follow? These guys were from Manchester, England

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the penalties for aggravated assault are too lenient in many countries and have been for a very long time.. Particularly for the aggressor....  particularly so in Thailand. 

And yes... there may well be some local bias involved in the decision regarding the penalty by the police who may well, inflate ‘damages’ knowing they’ll take their cut. 

This could go either way... 500 baht and a fine...

OR, recalling the story about the guy who played ‘grab-ass’ on the wrong female and was charged 200,000 baht for sexual assault this could be a 100,000 baht penalty (as Neeranam wrote)...  with the police taking a nice cut of course !!!! 

So, curiously, despite the fact that you took a shot at me for being a "boomer", we're now agreeing??

Oh well, it's nice to be agreeable ????

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Too much to drink, on a bike, no helmet, start a fight and run away. Typical guys who are going to cry for a Go fund me soon.

Quite so, are these the 'quality' tourists that Thailand want? Probably not.

The problem is they come here on holiday to have a good time and think they can do anything they want? Hopefully they will learn a lesson, but I doubt it?