British Man Arrested After Attacking a Tuk Tuk Taxi Driver in Phuket – VIDEO

webfact

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect you ‘quoted the wrong post’.... (such a boomer thing to do !!!...  ???? all in jest no offence meant and hope you are thick skinned enough to take the ribbing and of course throw some back in my direction !!)... 

Our opinions on punishment are perhaps in alignment...  But I don’t think kids today are any worse than they have every been.....   their actions are simply a lot more visible than they were, had social media being as prevalent years ago we’d see the same degree of utter ’tw_ttery’ that we see today... 

Yes 100% SMP’s give us the opportunity to see everything instantly, even live. The world is a far better place these days but we see all the crap nowadays 24/7, whereas b4 it was the 10 o’clock news and even after that there was usually a cute animal story to take our minds off imminent nuclear attack from the Russkies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, chacha boom said:

Sorry, but are you mistaking me for someone else? I have never called anyone/anything a boomer my entire life. 

i did correct my reply (kindly re-read my original)  - I meant to reply to a different post - apologies

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

A lot of British get involve with fights and all in Thailand, are they like that in other countries they visit or just in Thailand?

When there is a news report about a French guy getting in a fight, will you ask the same question ???

Or... is this the 'Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon’...  whereby as the forum seems to be ‘commenting’ a lot on Brits being involved in ‘issues’... our conformation bias is triggered, this is compounded by the fact that much of the news on here is ‘Brit-centric’...  

OR... does Thailand really attract more 'd!<k-head' Brits than it does 'd!<k-heads' from other nations... ???

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

And the "fair price" would no doubt have escalated the moment that more Thais that came out of the woodwork to "negotiate"!

My one and only accident in Thailand involved me clipping a Thai on a m'bike who came through on my inside.  I immediately rang the insurance agent and let him negotiate with the Thai guy. I didn't get involved at all. If these Brits had no insurance, then no sympathy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I imagine there was little damage and the taxi driver was trying to make the most of it by asking an extortionate amount. 

A friend of mine was hit by a tuk tuk thing and they demanded he pay them 6,000 Bht fir a scratch to the tuk tuk. 

Good on the guy for showing tourists are no walkover. Most of the foreigners here would just pay up. 

Good grief! You're just guessing what the driver wanted. The big gutless wonder kid  was an idiot and he and his mates are lucky to be alive.

Terrible behavior  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect you ‘quoted the wrong post’.... (such a boomer thing to do !!!...  ???? all in jest no offence meant and hope you are thick skinned enough to take the ribbing and of course throw some back in my direction !!)... 

Our opinions on punishment are perhaps in alignment...  But I don’t think kids today are any worse than they have every been.....   their actions are simply a lot more visible than they were, had social media being as prevalent years ago we’d see the same degree of utter ’tw_ttery’ that we see today... 

Yeah - my bad - fingers faster than the speed of brain....again!  ????????

No offence taken...

I agree about the visibility aspect and certainly agree about the utter ’tw_ttery’  BUT afraid i have to stand by my earlier comments about lack of discipline.

When younger, if i was approached by a policeman, I would be respectful to him and allow myself to be ticked off for being "a bit silly". Never would I have argued and even less would i have attempted to be violent! I think we largely agree on the big picture but "the devil is in the detail"

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My one and only accident in Thailand involved me clipping a Thai on a m'bike who came through on my inside.  I immediately rang the insurance agent and let him negotiate with the Thai guy. I didn't get involved at all. If these Brits had no insurance, then no sympathy.

I doubt they would have been given the opportunity to ‘call their insurance’ guy (if they had it)... 

... its quite like the TukTuk drivers eyes lit up and the inflated claims were screamed right off the bat !!!... 

• Thanks 2

Just now, VBF said:

Yeah - my bad - fingers faster than the speed of brain....again!  ????????

No offence taken...

I agree about the visibility aspect and certainly agree about the utter ’tw_ttery’  BUT afraid i have to stand by my earlier comments about lack of discipline.

When younger, if i was approached by a policeman, I would be respectful to him and allow myself to be ticked off for being "a bit silly". Never would I have argued and even less would i have attempted to be violent! I think we largely agree on the big picture but "the devil is in the detail"

Same here.. and many youngsters today are the same...  our individual experiences are just anecdote. 

the ‘bobby on the beat’ argument has been used for decades to decry the character and discipline of the ‘youth of today’.....      everyone is looking to highlight how the next generation is worse than the last, when in reality thats never been the case. 

7 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Good grief! You're just guessing what the driver wanted. The big gutless wonder kid  was an idiot and he and his mates are lucky to be alive.

Terrible behavior  

Correct - it is a guess, but an educated one based on experience of being here and the history of numerous other articles in this forum alone... 

Do any of us really believe the TukTuk driver got out and was polite and nicely requested a perfectly reasonable amount ???

No story involving a TukTuk driver ever reported anything other than extorting cheating, aggressive characteristics - why should this TukTuk driver be any different ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here.. and many youngsters today are the same...  our individual experiences are just anecdote. 

the ‘bobby on the beat’ argument has been used for decades to decry the character and discipline of the ‘youth of today’.....      everyone is looking to highlight how the next generation is worse than the last, when in reality thats never been the case. 

Well the FREQUENCY of youthful misbehaviour does seem to increase, but I admit the UK had the "Teds" in the 50s, the Mods & Rockers in the 60s etc. Perhaps, as you say social media makes us more aware, but my and your anecdotal evidence does seem to be borne out by fact. More to the point the "Woke & PC" lot are preventing punishment, and thus disincentive to occur.  

As an example, i was on Jury Service some years ago - we found a youth guilty of carrying a knife (amongst other offences), then it turned out he was already out "on licence" (ie parole)  for THE SAME OFFENCE!!!

We having found him guilty, the judge sentenced him to (just) 6 months....then lessened it to 3 months if he completed some course in prison!!

Now, what message does that send out?

Edited by VBF

25 minutes ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

A lot of British get involve with fights and all in Thailand, are they like that in other countries they visit or just in Thailand?

Simple answer is yes! Majorca, Benidorm, Ibiza were some favorites, too much drink and things get out of hand quickly!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I doubt they would have been given the opportunity to ‘call their insurance’ guy (if they had it)... 

... its quite like the TukTuk drivers eyes lit up and the inflated claims were screamed right off the bat !!!... 

More likely they were drunk with no insurance and tried to scarper rather than face their responsibilities.

22 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

This kind of behavior can be witnessed every Friday and Saturday night in most, if not all English Towns and Cities

Animals

What do the police do? Its a genuine question!

• Thumbs Up 1

Another point...  the Article states that the TukTuk was parked... But, it doesn’t look parked..

...so, did the TukTuk driver actually pull out without looking ??? is that how the impact occurred ???

I’m projecting of course, but I can imagine a situation whereby the TukTuk driver got out and just started screaming at the Brits...  and if so... violence was always a moment away and potentially instigated from either side. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

What do the police do? Its a genuine question!

Their hands are tied! They arrest where they can, are not allowed to use "excessive force" even when being attacked, spat at and generally abused! Then, when the thugs get to court, the court does damn all....see my comments above about my Jury Service

See this video - start at about 15 minutes in.

Edited by VBF

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

More likely they were drunk with no insurance and tried to scarper rather than face their responsibilities.

Well, they didn’t try to scarper... 

They’d stopped... had the ‘argument’ situation escalated... one of them ‘snapped’ and decided to try and end the argument physically....   then they all tried to scarper before they were mob-handled....  

In a similar situation - how do you ‘face your responsibility’ ??...  

....I may be wrong of course, but seeing these things occurs before I’m guessing the TukTuk driver was very loud, verbally aggressive and claiming an exorbitant amount for damage....  (and thats if he didn’t pull out on the motorcyclists int he first place - I’m not sure I believe the TukTuk was parked)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct - it is a guess, but an educated one based on experience of being here and the history of numerous other articles in this forum alone... 

Do any of us really believe the TukTuk driver got out and was polite and nicely requested a perfectly reasonable amount ???

No story involving a TukTuk driver ever reported anything other than extorting cheating, aggressive characteristics - why should this TukTuk driver be any different ????

They were a bunch of drunken louts who didn't want to accept responsibility for their actions, but one was "brave" enough to sucker punch a Thai and then scarper. No way it can be justified.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, giddyup said:

They were a bunch of drunken louts who didn't want to accept responsibility for their actions, but one was "brave" enough to sucker punch a Thai and then scarper. No way it can be justified.

Agreed... no justification for the violence.... 

But...  I doubt the TukTuk driver was a polite measure of calmness and being perfectly reasonable. 

• Like 1