Election Commission must be closely scrutinized this Sunday

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

First, all seven members of the current EC are the same members from the previous election, appointed by the National Legislative Assembly, which was the legislative arm of the previous junta.

Secondly, the official results from the previous election were delayed for 45 days, allowing the junta-backed Palang Pracharath Party to form a government instead of the party that won the election, the Pheu Thai Party

If it happens a second time I really do think there will be trouble again.

And this time I hope foreign countries insist the election is a fraud.

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

An interesing article and gets a ???? from me. This is why international observers are needed. The military psuedo govt is completely bent and will do absolutely everything to maintain it's power which has never been democratic. Basically they will cheat and if that doesn't work they will use force. The will of the people has nothing to do with it. 

Agreed, but if the same fix is in this time I think the outcome will be somewhat different.

The people will not except it as they did last time.

• Like 1

In every way, the 2019 election was rigged from the start, and in many ways, this election is still being rigged since the junta-drafted charter is still in effect, the appointed senate is still in power, and we still have the same EC members.

An eye opening statement for some that trawl these boards I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

China won't. Russia won't. India won't. ASEAN won't. Will Japan? Will France? Will Germany?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed, but if the same fix is in this time I think the outcome will be somewhat different.

The people will not except it as they did last time.

I've been saying this for quite some time to the occasional confused/negative emoji. This country is on the verge of a people's revolution. You are right. It will not be accepted this time. Thailand is on the brink. If people cannot see this then they are either idiologically blind or just simply stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

China won't. Russia won't. India won't. ASEAN won't. Will Japan? Will France? Will Germany?

It would hurt a lot if the whole of the west openly declared the result rigged and held the government accountable.

Trade with these countries could become a sticking point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If it happens a second time I really do think there will be trouble again.

It's being watched.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-senator-decries-us-senates-draft-resolution-on-thailand/

As for China they want a military controlled Thailand.

Edited by dinsdale

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It would hurt a lot if the whole of the west openly declared the result rigged and held the government accountable.

Trade with these countries could become a sticking point.

If. If. If. Germany especially has more than a couple of clubs it could use. But would it? It could not only organize EU actions, but use its trade options. But I don't think any of these countries will do anything. Can add South Korea to the list too.

Edited by John Drake

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

This government has already made it clear that they don't care what the US says, thinks, or does. They didn't in 2014 and they don't now. Nothing short of a civil war will change things in Thailand. And there is not going to be a civil war here. Most people have far too much to lose. Remember when the tractors were rolling down the road to reinforce Yingluck and they were all told to turn around. And they did.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Very interesting link.

This is an open and direct threat. Do these maniacs care about the Thai people (other than those who cannot be mentioned and the elite) no they don't.

"The draft warns of consequences in the event of undemocratic intervention either before or after the election.

“Direct or indirect military or royal intervention before, during, or after the general election would profoundly undermine bilateral relations between the United States and Thailand and endanger economic and security assistance to Thailand and regional and economic cooperation,” it said."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-senator-decries-us-senates-draft-resolution-on-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This government has already made it clear that they don't care what the US says, thinks, or does. They didn't in 2014 and they don't now. Nothing short of a civil war will change things in Thailand. And there is not going to be a civil war here. Most people have far too much to lose. Remember when the tractors were rolling down the road to reinforce Yingluck and they were all told to turn around. And they did.

Most people have already lost a lot. You say civil war I say people's revolutuion. The future will tell.  Will the people roll over and accept Prayut? What do you think?

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Very interesting link.

That link mentions Dick Durbin. Oddly enough there is no mention of Tammy Duckworth, the only Thai-American in congress. In fact, she tends to be pretty quiet about everything going on over here. That says a lot.

• Sad 1

Stick them under a microscope bit it still won't change them.

They have reaped the benefits of doing what was required of them, collected a nice salary for four years and they will still attempt to pervert the course of democracy. They will just have to more circumspect to achieve the same results. What have they got to lose ? Certainly not credibility since they didn't have any to start with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Most people have already lost a lot. You say civil war I say people's revolutuion. The future will tell.  Will the people roll over and accept Prayut? What do you think?

Most likely, yes, I think they would accept him again. The people out in the streets, who are they? I saw mostly kids in secondary school and some university uniforms. That is the elite by definition in Thailand. Their parents and families have a lot to lose. And they won't allow it. When you get down to it, it's a tamer version of HK. So, if Prayut somehow managed to regain power, I think things will just go along as they are right now. And I doubt the USA will do anything either, despite Dick Durbin, who tends to shoot off his mouth a lot without having anything to back him up. There was a lot of movement during Covid by the US to try and re-engage with Thailand. Essentially, it was rebuffed by the Thais. I think the US has now taken a position of indifference towards this country, diplomatically at least. They've sort of written them off as eventually becoming a Chinese satellite. I don't expect them to keep throwing good money after bad at Thailand. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Most likely, yes, I think they would accept him again. The people out in the streets, who are they? I saw mostly kids in secondary school and some university uniforms. That is the elite by definition in Thailand. Their parents and families have a lot to lose. And they won't allow it. When you get down to it, it's a tamer version of HK. So, if Prayut somehow managed to regain power, I think things will just go along as they are right now. And I doubt the USA will do anything either, despite Dick Durbin, who tends to shoot off his mouth a lot without having anything to back him up. There was a lot of movement during Covid by the US to try and re-engage with Thailand. Essentially, it was rebuffed by the Thais. I think the US has now taken a position of indifference towards this country, diplomatically at least. They've sort of written them off as eventually becoming a Chinese satellite. I don't expect them to keep throwing good money after bad at Thailand. 

Sorry but you are deluded. The people have had enough of the generals.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Really?

Most of my 18 year old son's mates have finished M6 and are off to uni soon.

None of them are children of the elite and most of them are children of poor and middle class families. But they do have internet access and are not all stupid by any means.

There are few children of the elite class as there are relatively few elites compared to the majority of That people, but like them majority they still only have one vote each.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I haven't read the entire Thaienquirer article....got dinner to cook....., but the title of this more than suffices to prompt me to agree , so I shall, 1000%. The EC members need to be exposed as the corrupt frauds they are, shamed and at the very least - if not made to serve prison time for gross malfeasance while in public office - kicked out & utterly disgraced. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with the entire article, especially the final:

"And if, for some reason, they decide to delay the election results or disqualify another prime minister candidate in the opposition for allegedly holding shares of a media company that is no longer in operation, there will be hell to pay, and things could end quite badly for them."

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

That link mentions Dick Durbin. Oddly enough there is no mention of Tammy Duckworth, the only Thai-American in congress. In fact, she tends to be pretty quiet about everything going on over here. That says a lot.

Perhaps she has family in Thailand she's concerned about.

29 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I agree with the entire article, especially the final:

"And if, for some reason, they decide to delay the election results or disqualify another prime minister candidate in the opposition for allegedly holding shares of a media company that is no longer in operation, there will be hell to pay, and things could end quite badly for them."

I sincerely hope Khun Peta has done his homeweork thoroughly in regard to the family/his media shares and he has serious specific evidence that the judiciary has incicated this is not an issue.