Any changes to Visa on arrival in 2023

Hi, 

I'm from Australia where I have to fly to Thailand in 2 days. I didn't have time to get a Tourist Visa but would like to stay for 30-60 days. I hear the visa on arrival has changed from 45 days to 30 days but am I able to extend it for another 7-30 days while I'm in Thailand. If so, what's the cost?

As an Aussie you get a 30 day visa exempt entry. This can be extended for 30 days (not 7) for a cost of 1900 baht. You need to fill out a TM7 form (available at immigration) and provide a copy of your passport data page and entry stamp and a passport photo.

You also need to provide a copy of a TM30 which your hotel does when you check-in. Ask the hotel staff for a copy.

• Thumbs Up 1

the only potential problem:

if you book a return flight later than 30 days without having a visa the airline might deny boarding.

Game of luck.

Workarounds possible.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Visa exempt entry is 30 days.

You can obtain a 30 day extention from immigration office where you are staying.

You will need a TM30 from your hotel.

1900baht.

Be aware that for departure your airline will almost certainly require you to show onward/return flight.

Jetstar? 

Edited by DrJack54

48 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Visa exempt entry is 30 days.

You can obtain a 30 day extention from immigration office where you are staying.

You will need a TM30 from your hotel.

1900baht.

Be aware that for departure your airline will almost certainly require you to show onward/return flight.

Jetstar? 

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I've been flying for over 20 years and very rarely purchased a return flight. I've been to Thailand at least 20 times where not once I purchased a return ticket. 

The other week, Jetstar did charge me for carry on luggage the crooks. I've never been charged ($65) with carry on luggage before but I hear Jetstar does it domestic after reading reviews online. Virgin never does hence I will never fly with Jetstar within Australia again. 

Or is this a new thing from 2023 where you need a return flight? I did fly to Thailand at the end of last year with Jetstar on a 1 way ticket. The other 90% of the time I had a tourist visa when I took a flight to Thailand. This is the first time in ages I'm going to be using 'visa on arrival.' Do you need a return ticket for 'visa on arrival,' but not a 'tourist visa.' ? 

Edited by organicman

14 minutes ago, organicman said:

I've been flying for over 20 years and very rarely purchased a return flight. I've been to Thailand at least 20 times where not once I purchased a return ticket. 

TBH your OP is very naive and certainly not someone with your stated wealth of experience.

Perhaps in the past you have obtained a tourist visa to visit Thailand.

20 visits to Thailand and you are not aware of 30 day extension??

As for the other part of carry on....again that's just ignorance.

The rules for Jetstar and Virgin clearly stated. 

No excuse.

Which airline are you using from Oz to Thailand.

My guess not Virgin 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

20 visits to Thailand and you are not aware of 30 day extension??

I've nearly always purchased a Tourist Visa. Ask me anything about a Tourist Visa and I will know. I don't have much of a clue about 'Visa on Arrival.' It's changes many times due to Covid where different websites say different things. 

From memory, in the past you could NEVER get an extension on a 'Visa on Arrival.' Tourist Visa rules usually stay the same while VOA rules change all the time.

Edited by organicman

OP just so you don't join the long queue at the "Visa on Arival" desk, you will be arriving "Visa Exempt".

A Visa on Arrival is only for about 18 countries who can't get visa exempt and gives 15 days on arrival for 2000 baht

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, organicman said:

I don't have much of a clue about 'Visa on Arrival.' It's changes many times due to Covid where different websites say different things.

First point everything is back to normal since covid.

More importantly is that clearly you have no idea regarding flying visa exempt.

The airline from Oz most likely will require you to have onward flight within 30 days.

Which airline is your flight? 

Here is recent thread ...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294354-onward-ticket/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1293995-proof-of-onward-travel/

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First point everything is back to normal since covid.

More importantly is that clearly you have no idea regarding flying visa exempt.

The airline from Oz most likely will require you to have onward flight within 30 days.

Which airline is your flight? 

Worst case, I'll edit a flight email, send it to my backup email address. Edit it (date and flight) and send it back to my main email address. They never check if it's real or not cause of the amount of people waiting in queue. They just want to see some kind of paperwork. I also remember hearing about this in the past where you can get flight templates. Easy to edit and change in Word.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, organicman said:

Worst case, I'll edit a flight email, send it to my backup email address. Edit it (date and flight) and send it back to my main email address. They never check if it's real or not cause of the amount of people waiting in queue. They just want to see some kind of paperwork. I also remember hearing about this in the past where you can get flight templates. Easy to edit and change in Word.  

So why start your thread.

As others have pointed out ...you are unaware of the requirements flying without visa and entering visa exempt (it's not visa on arrival) 

Then post clever (not) way to get around onward flight.

Go for it. 

15 minutes ago, organicman said:

Be careful with those kinds of tricks. If the check in staff can verify the onward flight with a simple enquiry through their terminal (and, depending on the airlines, they often can) you are relying on them being too busy to care. The consequences of being caught could be serious.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly you are being offensive.

This is a joke right? You have been offensive in most of your posts and I just ignored it until recently. I dislike using Thaivisa cause there is always people like yourself trying to pick fights. Calling me naive before.... lol!!! Everyone that starts a thread is naive and asking for advise like myself today. I thank you and everyone for the help today! 

The odds are still very very slim to be asked for a return ticket and for them to be able to check other airlines. I did a web search and it seems like no one can be 100% sure if they can check other airlines or not. Do you know a corporation sharing information to another corporation that isn't apart of their corporation? 

My jestar points didn't go onto my Qantas frequent flyer card where Qantas was unable to verify that I did fly with their sister company Jestar last year. I had to send all this evidence from Jetstar to Qantas that i did book a flight with Jetstar and boarded. They said they can't see any information on Jetstar cause it's not apart of Qantas. I called up many times and spoke to managers where it took 3 months in total to get my Qantas frequent flyer points.

In conclusion, the odds are very very slim for them to ask and then verify your return ticket with another airline. I would say there must be an error with the system hence they would have to call the airline to verify which could take over an hour. By law in Australia, they cant call another business and verify your information, only you can do that. 

The worst case possibly, I'll just buy a return flight where changing the date is usually free with my airline. 

Edited by organicman