Another coffee shop near my hotel bites the dust.

steven100

6 hours ago, PJ71 said:

You are correct, my bad.

What happened to that franchise? as i recall they were ok.

Just checked out the web page for 94.  The 94* is Celsius. However, based on their web page, that is the water temperature for making the espresso, not the temperature for drinking the coffee at after the heated milk has been added. So, and this is only conjecture on my part, if they heat the milk for hot coffees the same as most Thai coffee shops, the milk will only be heated to 60* Celsius, which results in a lukewarm coffee. I'll stick with my barista training and heat the milk to 75* celsius for a more enjoyable coffee.

• Thanks 2

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, but at least they check the temperature of the milk, unlike most Thai coffee shops

that's true, but as I've posted in other comments Thai baristas are only trained to heat the milk to 60* celsius, BUT it's not just the temperature of the coffee that makes Starbucks coffee so crap, it's the source of their coffee beans which mostly come from Yunnan in China.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:56 PM, steven100 said:

why should I ?   they have a business that farang go for coffee ....  not every tourist will speak Thai.  They are in a service industry, they should speak english . imo   otherwise fail ....   which is what happened.

So then they should speak Chinese and Russian too?

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So then they should speak Chinese and Russian too?

well ....  I say English because English in the international language spoken worldwide,  not Russian or Chinese.  But I don't know what the world spoke 1 million years ago ...  haha

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

well ....  I say English because English in the international language spoken worldwide,  not Russian or Chinese.  But I don't know what the world spoke 1 million years ago ...  haha

Loads of countries where English gets you nowhere.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:38 PM, steven100 said:

I just want you to know it's not a cheap place ... it has fountains and marble ... but no coffee

A really good hotel would have a coffee shop to go along with their fountains and marble.

I wonder, did you try a friendly smile at the staff, and explaining that you really like your coffee hotter. As I am sure you know - you frequently tell us how long you have been here - a smile goes a long way. I frequent a couple of establishments where the staff wear green polo shirts. I ask for hot coffee and get it. They smile too!

Edited by herfiehandbag

On 5/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, but at least they check the temperature of the milk, unlike most Thai coffee shops

I was in Starbucks yesterday and I asked about that. The staff member said the machine is set to 96C but when I asked about the milk she said the milk is not checked, 

For customers who want their coffee 'hot', she said customers can request it hot and the staff will make their coffee hotter than usual. 

My latte was hot enough for me. The milky froth wasn't very hot but that was OK for me. I didn't expect it to be hot.

After drinking my coffee I want out and bought a thermometer and I will test the temperature next time I go in a coffee shop!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, asf6 said:

I was in Starbucks yesterday and I asked about that. The staff member said the machine is set to 96C but when I asked about the milk she said the milk is not checked, 

For customers who want their coffee 'hot', she said customers can request it hot and the staff will make their coffee hotter than usual. 

My latte was hot enough for me. The milky froth wasn't very hot but that was OK for me. I didn't expect it to be hot.

After drinking my coffee I want out and bought a thermometer and I will test the temperature next time I go in a coffee shop!! 

have another look next time, usually there's a thermometer in the milk pot, but maybe they've stopped doing it, I don't go to Starbucks anymore, i go to 40-60 baht places, better coffee, better locations 

On 5/14/2023 at 5:31 PM, steven100 said:

totally disagree ....  if you had a shop and that's your way I doubt you'd last long ....  just saying  "

Sir, I am getting the impression you actually know nothing about or delivering customer service. And to the gentleman complaining about warm coffee, boiling hot water can burn the coffee so thats why it is not boiling hot as I understand it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

so thats why it is not boiling hot as I understand it

I think you have not had coffee at many coffee shops before ....  I never said boiling "   coffee should be hot .. as in ' hot Latte '  not warm Latte.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many people go to a coffee shop, drink the coffee, and walk out after that.

It seems in many coffee shops the idea is to order a coffee, wait a little, drink a little, sit a little longer, maybe have another coffee, and then, maybe after 30 minutes or more, leave.

There are of course people who buy a coffee to go. But most people who sit want to sit for a while and relax.

Our customers have various cakes and other foods with their coffee and can either sit in the garden in the sunshine and look at the sea, or in the shade under the house above. 
Opened our beach front coffee shop in our garden in 1999 in Hua Hin and most weekends we have to turn away customers because we are full up. 
Must be doing something right, but location is important. 

• Like 1

I just finished a 10 day motorcycle tour up north. We got the full range of customer service.  From happy to see you, to pay the bill and f off. I will always remember the thai staff/owner who didn't speak English but did everything to make our visit as pleasant as possible.  Then there were those that understood a simple request to slit the bill into  3 individual bills but didn't want to do the work and bought one single bill and had us figure out what was what. 3 bills, equal 3 tips. One bill equals no tip was our message to them. And I'm a tipper. But not when they don't care. That blank stare and f you smile doesn't go very far with me. 

Off topic because this is about my personal experience.   

I bought an Italian made expresso coffee maker at a flea market one day.   I asked the couple why they were selling it.  They said it leaked when they poured the coffee, spilling on the counter top and the side of the coffee cup.  After the 3rd or 4th pour, I found out, you had to lift the lid when pouring to keep it from spilling. 

I had not been using the expresso maker because the gasket that came with it was old and needed replacing.   I had difficulty finding a gasket because it was an odd size.   I finally found the right size and this morning was my first time to use this coffee maker.   I woke up the next day after buying a new gasket, very tired and made coffee without my glasses and made my first cup of coffee with that expresso maker.   Grabbed a bag of coffee out of the cabinet, put the required amount in the expresso basket, and brewed some coffee.   The flavor was excellent!  But, it was better than any of the coffee from the automatic, turn on by itself, drip coffee maker I had been using.   

I stared at the coffee bag wondering why the coffee was so good but could not make out if it was the good tasting coffee I had or the horrible tasting coffee that I had stopped drinking, but did not throw away.  I went to get my glasses and looked at the bag of coffee.   It was the horrible tasting coffee!    The good tasting coffee was still in the cabinet.   I was confused.   How can the coffee that had been horrible tasting taste so good?   

I put the maker in the sink and ran cold water on it to cool it off.  When I could handle the maker, I opened it up, dumped the used coffee grounds out and put in coffee from my good coffee bag, and brewed new coffee.   I tasted the newly brewed cup of coffee.   Best tasting coffee I had ever made or ever tasted!

I bought different brands and types of coffee and it did not matter, all the coffee was good to excellent.   One day I realized I needed new gaskets.  I stopped using the coffee maker until I found some two months later.   I looked through the cabinets for the coffee maker and could not find it.  I asked my wife if she knew where it was.   She told me, you said you could not find gaskets so I threw it away!

I have no idea what temperature the coffee maker worked at, I just put it on the stove top, heated it up until it spewed and sputtered and then took the coffee maker off the stove top.   I added milk to cool it down to a drinkable temperature and enjoyed a good cup of coffee.   

I miss that expresso coffee maker!

Edited by radiochaser

3 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Off topic because this is about my personal experience.   

I bought an Italian made expresso coffee maker at a flea market one day.   I asked the couple why they were selling it.  They said it leaked when they poured the coffee, spilling on the counter top and the side of the coffee cup.  After the 3rd or 4th pour, I found out, you had to lift the lid when pouring to keep it from spilling. 

I had not been using the expresso maker because the gasket that came with it was old and needed replacing.   I had difficulty finding a gasket because it was an odd size.   I finally found the right size and this morning was my first time to use this coffee maker.   I woke up the next day after buying a new gasket, very tired and made coffee without my glasses and made my first cup of coffee with that expresso maker.   Grabbed a bag of coffee out of the cabinet, put the required amount in the expresso basket, and brewed some coffee.   The flavor was excellent!  But, it was better than any of the coffee from the automatic, turn on by itself, drip coffee maker I had been using.   

I stared at the coffee bag wondering why the coffee was so good but could not make out if it was the good tasting coffee I had or the horrible tasting coffee that I had stopped drinking, but did not throw away.  I went to get my glasses and looked at the bag of coffee.   It was the horrible tasting coffee!    The good tasting coffee was still in the cabinet.   I was confused.   How can the coffee that had been horrible tasting taste so good?   

I put the maker in the sink and ran cold water on it to cool it off.  When I could handle the maker, I opened it up, dumped the used coffee grounds out and put in coffee from my good coffee bag, and brewed new coffee.   I tasted the newly brewed cup of coffee.   Best tasting coffee I had ever made or ever tasted!

I bought different brands and types of coffee and it did not matter, all the coffee was good to excellent.   One day I realized I needed new gaskets.  I stopped using the coffee maker until I found some two months later.   I looked through the cabinets for the coffee maker and could not find it.  I asked my wife if she knew where it was.   She told me, you said you could not find gaskets so I threw it away!

I have no idea what temperature the coffee maker worked at, I just put it on the stove top, heated it up until it spewed and sputtered and then took the coffee maker off the stove top.   I added milk to cool it down to a drinkable temperature and enjoyed a good cup of coffee.   

I miss that expresso coffee maker!

A Moka Pot from Lazada produces very good coffee, only 200+ baht, much better than filter, drip things

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A Moka Pot from Lazada produces very good coffee, only 200+ baht, much better than filter, drip things

I have one that looks like that in a kitchen cabinet.  The coffee it makes is not worth the effort to do it. 

This is the one that I think I had before.   

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/998002857/mcm-luxa-express-stove-top-vintage

10 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I have one that looks like that in a kitchen cabinet.  The coffee it makes is not worth the effort to do it. 

This is the one that I think I had before.   

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/998002857/mcm-luxa-express-stove-top-vintage

I use the drip funnel, as they all taste about the same, or can be made to, and the drip thingy w/paper filter is so much easier to use & clean.

Wife likes the machine, as enjoys the crema it produces.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Does a good job, gives a good yield, though not sure about 'better'.  More efficient, as takes less coffee for a better yield.

If going Moka pot, highly recommend SS over the other metals, for a 'cleaner' taste.

Yes, that's from personal experience ???? 

image.png.3761581edbbf0cf9e8d71fc9969ebf44.png

1684725755959.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 11:22 AM, steven100 said:

I ordered hot latte and it came out warm .... just warm .... 

They don't have a clue.....they just lump in cold milk......I get the wife to explain to them now that they have to heat the milk.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

They don't have a clue.....they just lump cold milk......I get the wife to explain to them now that they have to heat the milk.

Y'all need to find better coffee shops.  

Yet to have a piping hot coffee, as not supposed to be to begin with.  Fancy machine won't and shouldn't boil the water.  Also yet to have a Cappuccino served with unheated milk, as that would be silly to do.

For you home brewer, do put your cup in the microwave for 30 seconds, at least.  Who serves hot food & beverages on/in a room temp plate/cup ?

Would you poor a cold beer into an unfrosted glass ... blasphemy.

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I use the drip funnel, as they all taste about the same, or can be made to, and the drip thingy w/paper filter is so much easier to use & clean.

Wife likes the machine, as enjoys the crema it produces.

Does a good job, gives a good yield, though not sure about 'better'.  More efficient, as takes less coffee for a better yield.

If going Moka pot, highly recommend SS over the other metals, for a 'cleaner' taste.

Yes, that's from personal experience ???? 

image.png.3761581edbbf0cf9e8d71fc9969ebf44.png

1684725755959.jpg

I also have a stainless steel espresso maker.   No better than the aluminum one suggested. 

I don't know why the Luxa made such good coffee but I have some hope now though.  I found one of the luxa's on ebay for sale nearby (about 1.25 hour round trip) from where I live.  Made an offer on it.  The seller was not asking over $80.00 for it, or it was cheap but in another country.   

Edited by radiochaser

Just now, KhunLA said:

Y'all need to find better coffee shops.  

Yet to have a piping hot coffee, as not supposed to be to begin with.  Fancy machine won't and shouldn't boil the water.  Also yet to have a Cappuccino served with unheated milk, as that would be silly to do.

For you home brewer, do put your cup in the microwave for 30 seconds, at least.  Who serves hot food & beverages on/in a room temp plate/cup ?

Would you poor a cold beer into an unfrosted glass ... blasphemy.

My wife introduced me to Thai 3 in 1 coffee??.......I have never been a coffee drinker.

It is atrocious stuff.......I am now hooked and drink three or four a day.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

My wife introduced me to Thai 3 in 1 coffee??.......I have never been a coffee drinker.

Are you a masochist?  ????  That stuff is horrible!   

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Moccona Espresso 3/1 (green) when on the road, and not brewing my own or hitting a coffee shop ????

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, KhunLA said:

Mocconna Espresso 3/1 (green) when on the road, and not brewing my own or hitting a coffee shop ????

Not sure what she buys me......a gold and light brown sachets.......must be well on the road to type 2 diabetes now.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not sure what she buys me......a gold and light brown sachets.......must be well on the road to type 2 diabetes now.

A few brands are OK, but the Nescafe brand, that's some vile stuff.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A few brands are OK, but the Nescafe brand, that's some vile stuff.

15 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I would rather drink coffee from a Black Canyon (correct name?) coffee shop than that 3 in 1 stuff.   

• Haha 1