SOME UK-UTUBER DUDE, based in Thailand, Just told me to move to PORTUGAL. Good Idea?

Just go visit instead of yapping about it.????

I'd move there... but probably a bit outside the tourist haunts like the Algarve. Great climate (number one), tasty food, cheap wine & port + nice people. Cheap property away from the main centres too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you, Sir!

As you know, I always know, that you have my best interests at heart.

Again, thank you!

would advise you to visit and see but avoid July and August as too many people, best from April to June and later in September, enjoy the grilled sardines and a (1) glass of red wine 555

My Aunty took the plunge and loves it. Left her Sydney house and followed her artistic dreams through China and has lived for 10 years in Lisbon as a professional artist. Lifestyle seems relaxed and fun. Culture to burn of course. You can live your dream rather than waxing lyrical to burnt out types on this forum. Nice to have mainly warm weather with some cooler or cold thrown in. You get sick of anything and I imagine you’d be sick of Thailand truth be told so cant go wrong I think. 

Gamma,

1 - Go!

2 - Start threads on here about Portugal to let us know what it's like

3 - But DO NOT let that stop you from ALSO starting random threads about the first thing that pops into your head totally unrelated to Portugal or Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Gamma,

1 - Go!

2 - Start threads on here about Portugal to let us know what it's like

3 - But DO NOT let that stop you from ALSO starting random threads about the first thing that pops into your head totally unrelated to Portugal or Thailand.

I do hope you are being sarcastic!

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you, Sir!

As you know, I always know, that you have my best interests at heart.

Again, thank you!

just do it!  got some monster surf too!  I have friends who moved there in the 90s but visit Thailand often. They love it.

• Thanks 1

Portugal surely is one of the best places for expats. Nice people, decent prices, rich culture, beautiful nature, good food, a short flight to everywhere in Europe. And very easy to get a permission to stay - at least, if you are an EU citizen.

Together with Southern France and the Toskana my favorite place to go, if I leave Thailand.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

The temperature is more important the older you become. Thailand is very warm/hot all year around. Lisbon officially goes no lower than 15 C in Winter, although it does feel colder. In the North you get snow. In the Algarve I experienced 25 C on Christmas Day. Too many tourists but you only have to venture a few miles inland and things become much more traditional. At Nazare one Christmas gales were so strong that everyone was advised not to venture out of doors. Awnings were torn off shops and road signs bent over by the wind. Portuguese cafes are great, they use Italian coffee machines producing superb selections. Draught lagers are excellent too, everything is available from 6am until midnight or until the last customer has gone home.  

• Thanks 1

Do you want that I should tell you who is this COOLEST dude UTUBER with his BEAUTIFUL house which he built himself in Thailand? 

He drives an old truck wherever he roams. 

His UK home is by the sea. 

Who is he? 

A very unpretentious soul is he.

Try as one might, you just can't find nothing wrong with him. 

He calls himself, James, but probably not his real name. 

Seems that he came to Thailand and fell in love, 20 years ago... 

And now, he is wishing he were in Portugal. 

Maybe it's not so easy to come to Asia, live here for 45 years, and then NEVER return to the West. 

45 Fing years in Asia, Man! 

Try, if you will, to wrap your pea brains around that number! 

It's only logical that most of you haven't a clue what I'm gabbing about. 

But, I never hold this against you. 

Do I? 

• Love It 1