Aussie TikTok Influencer Tests Phuket Fruit Vendor’s Generosity

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff

AUSTRALIAN social media star Luke Erwin shared a short video on TikTok where he tested the generosity of a Phuket vendor by asking for free fruit as he was hungry but did not have any money to pay and was immediately given one, Sanook.com said this afternoon (May 18).

The generous fruit vendor who was stopped by Erwin as he was pushing his cart along a Patong road asked him whether he would like to have a mango, upon getting yes for an answer, he immediately sliced a ripe one, put the pieces in a bag and gave it to him.

Erwin repeatedly asked, “Are you sure no money?” and the vendor insisted it was for free.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/05/18/aussie-tiktok-influencer-tests-phuket-fruit-vendors-generosity/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-05-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

@lukeerwintv Showing love to the beautiful people of Thailand ???????? #thailandtiktok???????? #thailand #phuket ♬ Get You The Moon - Kina
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Love It 1

12 minutes ago, loong said:

He wasn't a foreign moocher.

It was a stunt, a test. He gave the vendor 2000 Baht!

And the vendor would have thought: Why did he tell me he had no money? It's only 50B. Idiot! 

And did he give the guy permission to publish that video? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Thai Immigration needs to seriously thin out the very obvious  foreign moochers that they allow to enter Thailand. One look at them you should be able notice Foreign Bum Moocher in large letters written on their foreigners. There are more than a few YouTube channels promoting be a foreign pest and money moocher attracting the crap here. Maybe check to see if the foreigners have enough money on hand. Otherwise send the bums back home.

The total arrogance of the 'star'. 

Anything for attention to getting more followers even to the point of falsely ripping off a poor fruit vendor.

Depart the guy and blacklist him and put posts on his socialmedia pages with comments re ripping off poor street vendors because he's a 'star'.

Deport today please.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

And how many of the people who saw how to get free food in Thailand will do the same?

He's just encouraging freeloaders......full stop!

He does it to get viewers, without considering the knock on effect.

Being a narcissist he doesn't give a ****.

What's your excuse?

Who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

• Thanks 1

It is exactly this type of friendly and generous attitude of the Thai people that made me decide to retire here, granted I first started coming to Thailand over 20 years ago, when it was more prevalent.

This video is gold for the Tourism authority, as it genuinely promotes Thai people as friendly and generous.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think condescending is the word to describe such people.

I hope he will be prosecuted for working illegally in Thailand. 

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

Your hatred against anything you don't like, although it doesn't affect you one jota, is simply astonishing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How would you feel if some rich guy would do something like that with you? And obviously he films it and publishes it to make money. 

If he would want to support people, he could have bought fruit and give the vendor some tip - without running camera. 

I am not sure what your motivations are in expressing such an opinion.

If some rich guy would do that to me, it would make me very happy. As I could use this additional money to keep on helping people here, in the Philippines, in Cambodia... I would be happy, just like this fruit vendor is happy, at receiving 2,000 bahts. And I do believe that many people would stand behind me hoping to be the recipient of the same generosity, many.

So the problem you see is about the camera, not about the generosity, it is about the money that this individual might or will make by showing on video his generous gesture. I actually liked looking at this, happy to see that I am not the only one being generous in this world. And heartwarming to see a Thai man giving free food to someone who might be hungry.

And the poor Thai people that I help just about every day, they are also happy to receive a bit of help. I never got accused of being condescending because of some help that I give.

So is the motivation simply jealousy... Or else you believe that everyone should do the same as you to show generosity.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would definitely avoid any party with TikTok idiots, influencers, and such crowd.

If you want to play the idiot in a video, then please go ahead. But don't expect only because you like it everybody likes it.

And don't expect everybody to dislike it just because you dislike it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

It is exactly this type of friendly and generous attitude of the Thai people that made me decide to retire here, granted I first started coming to Thailand over 20 years ago, when it was more prevalent.

This video is gold for the Tourism authority, as it genuinely promotes Thai people as friendly and generous.

Anybody who paid attention in Thailand would not be surprised at all that the food vendor gave a supposedly hungry man food without payment. I am pretty sure that is what most food in Thailand vendors would do.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

And don't expect everybody to dislike it just because you dislike it....

You can like whatever you want to like. Go ahead, be happy and like and subscribe to everything you want. TikTok idiots like this guy exist because people like you support them. Be proud of yourself! 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can like whatever you want to like. Go ahead, be happy and like and subscribe to everything you want. TikTok idiots like this guy exist because people like you support them. Be proud of yourself! 

Well, times have changed.

I cannot say that I like TikTok, but it is here to stay. Many people live from that, whether I like it or not.

Many things that I do not like in this evolving world. I sometimes try to put a halt on some of these things, but lately I realized that I will die before I can get the world to go back to where it was some years ago.

I was a Trekkie, so yes I am aging, and 'resistance is futile'.

But I typically like your comments on this forum. (Might not be reciprocal hehe).

Regards

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If anybody feels the need to show on the internet what a good person he or she is, then maybe they should think again. And if people make money from views on the internet with such video, then they should think even harder if that is decent behavior.

However you are a big youtube fan, going by the fact how often you post youtubes to make your point, this went completely over your head because your hatred makes you blind obviously.

The guy was showing the kindness of the Thai fruit sellers, giving free fruit to someone who in advance declared he had no money.

To make it clear, I hate youtubes and Tiktok, and will rarely watch any for longer than 15 seconds, but I support what this guy was doing

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1