Thai snooker legend James Wattana loses 3.2 million baht to call centre gang

webfact

14 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

If somebody called me and told me that I had been involved in illicit drug trafficking and money laundering, I would tell them that they have the wrong person.

Just tell them >>> Go Forth & Multiply,Yeah.....

4 hours ago, bignok said:

He has no money left. Not worth the hassle.

Googling "james wattana net worth" gives results suggesting he is worth somewhere between $2.7 and $5m.

He was only the eighth snooker player to earn £1m, although that was ages ago.

A few months ago I warned many people in Thailand  forums about this sophisticated scam , I know several Thais who have been  ripped of by this scam it involves fake cops  and is very clever  , People are scared stiff  by the scammers , some are very well educated ordinary people   .

• Thumbs Up 1

he got snookered big time......it is  all about shooting shape....take a good look at the table first...he jumped into the pool without making sure there was water in it...great player saw him a few times

Edited by d4dang

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

So many smart posters here. 

TV members are known for their high IQ.

Makes me wonder who are all the stupid farang taken for a ride by Thai farmers' daughters. 

Indeed. Those shysters were obviously pretty convincing, plus Thais can be hopeless when put on the spot. James Wattana is a decent bloke, highly unlikely to be involved in such a scenario. Perhaps he just freaked and wanted the fictitious story unfolding to all go away despite having nothing to do with it. Also unlikely he's down to 8k... in that account maybe but the guy is worth millions ($, £) and will have accounts in the UK etc.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:50 AM, ezzra said:

So he gets a phone call in the middle of the night about some involved in illicit drug trafficking and money laundering and he just pays them? unless he's guilty of something he doesn't anyone to know, otherwise, why would he do that?

There's a lot more to it than one call stating "We're told you're involved in drug trafficking, send us money",  "Ok, I'll immediately send it".  Fraudsters can, obviously, be very convincing, that's why there are so many reports of these incidents and falling for the scam is not an indication of guilt or involvement in criminal activity.

11 hours ago, Lorry said:

Read this. Are you really so sure it couldn't happen to you?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Asia-s-scamdemic-How-COVID-19-supercharged-online-crime

So many smart posters here. 

TV members are known for their high IQ.

Makes me wonder who are all the stupid farang taken for a ride by Thai farmers' daughters. 

Indeed, they don't stay married so long, few past 20 years.

7 hours ago, d4dang said:

he got snookered big time......it is  all about shooting shape....take a good look at the table first...he jumped into the pool without making sure there was water in it...great player saw him a few times

this is small change for this guy

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, d4dang said:

I've a photo somewhere of me and him and Tony Drago. One with Stephen Hendry too re 1995 in Bangkok tournament

• Like 1

10 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

A few months ago I warned many people in Thailand  forums about this sophisticated scam , I know several Thais who have been  ripped of by this scam it involves fake cops  and is very clever  , People are scared stiff  by the scammers , some are very well educated ordinary people   .

Sophisticated? Calling someone at 11pm and telling lies isn't much of a scam. Hang up. Change your phone number.

• Like 1