Vietnamese durian vendor in Thailand faces 7 years in jail for tipping the scales

webfact

The man must have balls as big as the durian he sales to work without permit AND cheat Thai people, and since he loves money so much, I would fleece him of everything he owns, that will hurt him the most.

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Kinnel, a 4 Kg durian would be massive. So would her scales be adding the same 500 gm to a 1 Kg fruit?

Probably off by 10%, so in case of 500g it would show 550

23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The man must have balls as big as the durian he sales to work without permit AND cheat Thai people, and since he loves money so much, I would fleece him of everything he owns, that will hurt him the most.

The article didn’t say anything immigration or work permit related, so the vendor probably has Thai citizenship

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it hard to believe every single vendor isn't doing the same.

In our big market the scales are not calibrated and you can see they are not even zeroed......I made the fatal mistake of pointing this out to the wife.....not a good move cliticising anything Thai related. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I brought my own scale to the market a few times, the sellers scales were exactly same as mine.

We've weighed stuff when at home on occasion and found very big differences.

Around these parts there's a couple of shops and a durian seller up to no good, they think they're getting away with it but the reality is - everyone knows they do it and that's why they have no customers from the locals.

• Thumbs Up 2

Believe Or Not

I bought some electronic kitchen scales from Big C.

After using them I found that the mix (flour, eggs, marge, sugar, milk) that resulted did not have its usual consistency.

I eventually checked the scales against 2 pence coins (7.12 grams each)

The scales displayed exactly double the weight of the coins.

Standard Thai scale setting?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Believe Or Not

I bought some electronic kitchen scales from Big C.

After using them I found that the mix (flour, eggs, marge, sugar, milk) that resulted did not have its usual consistency.

I eventually checked the scales against 2 pence coins (7.12 grams each)

The scales displayed exactly double the weight of the coins.

Standard Thai scale setting?

No, you have cheap scales

Vietnamese durian vendor in Thailand faces 7 years in jail for tipping the scales

Tipping the scales means "the thing that causes a particular situation to happen or a particular decision to be made, when other situations or decisions are possible".

It doesn't mean to fiddle the scales to make whatever is weighed appear to weigh more.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Police arrested the Vietnamese vendor under suspicion of, “acting in a way to increase the weight of the scales used to trade and sell goods beyond the margin of error with the intention of exploiting customers,” in violation of Section 26, Section 25, and Section 79 of the Weights and Scales Act (1999).

Next they need to check all the upcountry middlemen rice buyers????

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

How do you know he doesn't have a work permit, easy if working for thai wife.

20 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Tipping the scales means "the thing that causes a particular situation to happen or a particular decision to be made, when other situations or decisions are possible".

It doesn't mean to fiddle the scales to make whatever is weighed appear to weigh more.

That finger underneath to 'Steady' the scales.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Tell The Thaiger.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The maximum sentence (that is rarely handed out), not the mandatory sentence.

I understand that. My point is that taxi drivers can cheat their customers and yet nothing seems to occur abut it.

• Like 1