Siem Reap worth it?

bignok

On 5/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, bignok said:

Think we skip it. Doing Phanom Rung. Will review it. Much cheaper, no flights, no visa, cheap entry.

No comparison and you miss out on a whole lot more.

Go with an open mind and you will not be disappointed.

If you don't have an open mind then don't go  -  and don't waste 100 Baht on Phanom Rung either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I would also recommend both of those. Tuol Sleng, the Genocide Museum is horrific and moving   https://tuolsleng.gov.kh/ and really made me THINK about what happened in Kampuchea as it was.  If one is in PP it's possible to visit it and The Killing Fields in one day.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Fields

A friend told me that "You'll never look at a school in Thailand or Cambodia in quite  the same light again" - he was right!

It was a day I shall never forget, however dramatic that may sound.

Sounds depressing.

• Sad 1

I went in August last year .....  it was pretty quiet . Bayon in particular was epic .  I didn't see any plastic chairs at sunrise . some great places to eat in town .. id defiantly go again .

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, VBF said:
3 hours ago, VBF said:

If one is in PP it's possible to visit it and The Killing Fields in one day.  

Thank you for your comments. For those unaware, the Killing Fields are located in Choeung Ek, about 17 kms south of Phnom Penh. They are now a memorial to the victims of Pol Pot and his evil subordinates. Even today, due to soil erosion, one can see pieces of clothing and bones protruding from the ground. Special boxes are located around the trails to deposit these remins - if you so desire! They eventually get the reverence they deserve.  My photos - the Memorial Building (stacked with skulls) and a collecting box:

image.thumb.jpeg.efe5c61c3178f2005b1781362e8a4be7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93c0ce2d1d436c4dad7fdf77260f477c.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:38 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Much more interesting is a trip to the Killing Fields and the Khmer Rouge story, I'd definitely recommend that from PP

Out of a dozen books I've read, this out of print French reporter's account is the most vivid. He was in the country for the full Khmer Rouge run:

https://www.amazon.com/Cambodia-year-zero-François-Ponchaud/dp/B0006YVAFE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Cambodia+year+zero&qid=1684673861&sr=8-1

I'm posting the link for the informative reviews. You'll more likely see it as a white-colored bootleg reprint paperback in a used bookstore for around 150 baht. I've read it 4 times.

Used to be tons of reprint books on offer about Cambodia -not to mention the venerable bootleg Lonely Planet Guide- for about $2 apiece. Looked a bit for them in October. Didn't see much. They've gone the way of the DVD (which is still happening medium-big in Phenom Penh).

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t usually cry after seeing emotional things, but Cambodia and the death railway museum in Kanchanaburi broke my heart. Not forgetting the two world wars. There you see how evil people can be, and how lucky we are not having to live through times like this.  In my opinion , we should all have respect for the people who fought our wars, and the pity and empathy for the ones who died and suffered in these horrific places. The meaning of being «  human ». 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geisha said:

I don’t usually cry after seeing emotional things, but Cambodia and the death railway museum in Kanchanaburi broke my heart. Not forgetting the two world wars. There you see how evil people can be, and how lucky we are not having to live through times like this.  In my opinion , we should all have respect for the people who fought our wars, and the pity and empathy for the ones who died and suffered in these horrific places. The meaning of being «  human ». 

The topic isnt about death fields or gogo bars. It is about Siem Reap and temples there.

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

The topic isnt about death fields or gogo bars. It is about Siem Reap and temples there.

-Like I said, go to a local temple. Much less visited, much desire to talk with you. Very different from Thai-style, more Indian-realistist mural style, more Chinese ornamentation. Lot's of Day-Glo cartoony stuff too.

I may find the super Day-Glo guy and bring him to Chiang Mai to do my some big landscapes for my apartment.

It would be like hiring Buddhist Keith Haring. Prob $500, transit money, and noodles. Have him do it on a couple of sheets so I can take it all with me.

Cambodia is prob about half the price of Chiang Mai if you want to some massive wood-carved things. Thai art is more varied. They're all about the apsara.

6 hours ago, geisha said:

In my opinion , we should all have respect for the people who fought our wars,

Off topic, but I haven't had any wars, and would have said NO if they had asked.

Maybe the mods could delete all the posts that aren't about Siem Reap.

Edited by BritManToo

7 hours ago, bignok said:

No.

The bottle temple is free, it's in Issan, and it's easy to understand. Everything you like.

No way should you suffer thru Anger Wat.

It's not free, it's not in Issan, and you have to read a book first to know what you're looking at. Don't do it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

The bottle temple is free, it's in Issan, and it's easy to understand. Everything you like.

No way should you suffer thru Anger Wat.

It's not free, it's not in Issan, and you have to read a book first to know what you're looking at. Don't do it.

Sisaket is a long way from where i will be. Loei, Chaiyaphum, Korat have some better options.

So if you drive out to Phnom-whatever, how long do you spend at some dusty collection of free standing old columns and what do you do while you're there?

Me: 8-10 minutes, and read a few placards. 

On 5/19/2023 at 3:34 PM, bignok said:

Do Thais pay farang entry fees too? Im guessing they do.

Yes, even at smaller temples my missus tried to pay local fee, and was then asked to speak Cambodian :cheesy: she couldn't.

• Haha 2