6 Indian men arrested for overstaying in southern Thailand

16 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Don't tell me; they had planned to extend their visas with the money from the 'gold jewelry' insurance, but the money never came, so they exchanged expensive Pattaya for the much cheaper Pattalung, where they lived happy ever after (till now), working as ice-cream sellers...

Pattaya is cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You think so? An ex brother-in-law in the UK sold ice cream from a van, and I went out with him one day. He went to a depot, collected the milk required and then he made around 1000% profit from his ice cream sales. Even more profitable than cafes selling a 2p tea bag for 2.50.

UK? Thai icecreams cost 10 baht. I bought some for 8 baht.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im surprised to see they lasted so long in Pattalung cant be many foreigners living there 

Very few. I was there in March. Cool town but very few farangs. Not cheap though. A 650 baht room there wpuld be 450 baht in Pattaya. Food wasn't very good. Nice caves and temples.

Lots of donut shops. The locals like donuts.

I suspect they were pulled into a racket where they themselves made very little: fee for the use of the vehicle, not so much of a mark-up from cost of product, and maybe even paid the scoundrels for the privilege of being pulled in to the scam.  Also must pay for accommodation. 

Do some searching on the net, scams like this all over south Asia, and they are sent all over the world.  Poor b_stards.

17 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Maybe the Immigration should be looking at the guy who rented them the property ???? 

He must have asked them to show their passports and been aware they were overstayers ????

Maybe the same guy who rented them the ice cream karts 

The problem here is yes they arrested 6 on overstay so now what will happen to them get banged up in the IDC with no money to get a flight home, I would imagine the Indian government wont give a FF about them,

4 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

Hope they never get rid the roti sellers in our village. Always nice in the evening sitting outside to have a nice sweet before bed. And, although their Thai is rudimentary, they get by.

Plenty on here whose Thai is far less than rudimentary, non existent in many cases, they also seem get by !

35 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Maybe the Immigration should be looking at the guy who rented them the property ???? 

He must have asked them to show their passports and been aware they were overstayers ????

Other than immigration / tourist police  and the TVF "visa compliance brigade" I doubt anybody else gets so worked up about overstayers, not really anyone's business

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thanks 2