Businesses express concern over Move Forward minimum wage increase policy

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo : AFP

Members of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) are scheduled to meet with key members of the Move Forward party, to express their concern over the party’s policy to increase the minimum wage to 450 baht/day, according to FTI chairman Kriengkrai Thiennukul.

He said that there are several economic items in the MoU, which the coalition parties have agreed to implement, including increasing the minimum wage to 450 baht in one step, which is the primary concern of the private sector.

He said that businesses have, in the past few years, been hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, inflation, high interest rates, increased energy costs and the increased cost of raw materials.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/businesses-express-concern-over-move-forward-minimum-wage-increase-policy/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that businesses have, in the past few years, been hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, inflation, high interest rates, increased energy costs and the increased cost of raw materials.

Violins please... put money in peoples pockets they go out and spend it... money goes around.

Keep them poor no-one wins, only the elites.

Change is coming.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Maybe the wages should increase with the same volume the CEO's increase their salaries and bonusses every year... 

That's not how the game is played, though.

Corporatism.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

That's not how the game is played, though.

Corporatism.

I know, but there is never money for the people who do the work for the profit of the companies, while the board is enriching themselves.

• Like 1

I don't think in my entire life have I ever heard a business group say a pay rise is a good thing not a decent pay rise anyway. Give you a bit more put up prices more than that and increase our profits. That would be acceptable.

Edited by dinsdale

18 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Sooner or later Thailand will have to pay proper wages like Japan or Korea. Everyone in my wifes family that owns a house has it because they went overseas to work, Saudi Arabia, Japan. Taiwan.

B 450 is still miserable.

True but let the education and efficiency catch up first. Thailand is the way it is because it’s cheap, many folks take advantage of that, that’s why they are living here instead of Japan or Korea.

Not saying wages shouldn’t rise, skills and mind set has to follow too.

IMO Thailand needs a complete overhaul. The rich are getting richer and the poor and old are suffering. Thailand ranks close to the bottom for senior benefits in the WORLD. Raise the pay, start taxing and get the country in order. Never happen , The rich see the old and poor as throw away assets.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 6:10 PM, WHansen said:

I hope the increase happens. Seeing my girlfriend work 12 hour days for 300 Baht is heartbreaking

300 baht a day is in compliance with Thai law but, in real world, even Burmese , Khmer , Mon workers got about 400-500 a day in Bangkok and those Thai workers like welders , tiler , air con repair man,  plasterer got like 700-900 a day already. Your girlfriend are at the lowest of the low percenrile here. Do something.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:57 AM, Will B Good said:

Poor CP..........talk of minimum wages..........talk of breaking up monopolies....talk of fair competition.............you have to feel for them.

But to my mind there's a point missing; action, laws whatever to forceabaly reduce the gap. 

• Like 1