Public advised to protect themselves as COVID-19 cases surge

webfact

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting, thanks. All I know is I was fine until I got Covid.

Actually fine now, and thinking of coming off the inhalers.

I would like to say something but any conversation around this is still taboo. Glad to hear your improving.

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

While this variant of Covid is somewhat milder than Delta, the people who may suffer severely are the old, those and those with weakened defences. 

Not somewhat. A lot. They are two different beasts. The emergence of Omicron, it's rapid evolution and it's dominance over Delta is a good thing. Delta has been taken out of the evolutionary process.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Purdey said:

While this variant of Covid is somewhat milder than Delta, the people who may suffer severely are the old, those and those with weakened defences. 

If they survived the first rounds they should be OK now, if they have been jabbed.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Say it, if it is important I don't mind. Or PM me. 

I can't even PM you on this but if you look at my initial response to you, you will see what I'm saying. I asked you have you been vaccinated?

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It would mean a little more if they had some figures that were a little more significant.

A slight blip after the biggest holiday in Thailand, then a slight blip after kids going back to school is expected and acceptable.

Without huge outbreaks in schools to indicate a real problem, no one is going to care.  Nor should they.

The message should be "You're doing a great job.  Keep it up".  Unless they have some sort of ulterior motive.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Getting refunds for anything seems to be difficult in Thailand - even though you have a receipt and the original packaging, and the item is faulty, or on closer inspection not what you ordered/expected. 

"Thailand - Land of Smiles and No Refunds" 

Couldn't agree more.

Sometimes there vindictive. Blaming you for faulty cr**py Thai manufactured products. 

4 hours ago, Spellforce said:

I and my wife catched (one more time) the covid in Patttaya 3 weeks ago, it's over today in Pattaya.

I had fever for 2 days, not worse than a bad flue in Europe but worse that my covid in 2020 (fever only 1 day)

99,9999% of people wont die, dont think too much :).

Genius - ignore the stated facts  ie.  64 deaths / 2,632 cases = 2.4%.

Think again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, koolkarl said:

The surge in covid cases coincides with the surge in tourists.  When I get a vaccine for Hep A, I don't expect to get Hep A.  Covid is mutating so any vaccine is essentially useless.  I call it hope for the masses.

I guess you are the expert on Immunology. 

But, those poor saps who went to University and then went on to work in Immunology for decades claim that keeping up on booster shops is the best way to avoid contracting Covid. 

Hard to know who to listen to.

3 hours ago, Spellforce said:

My last injection was more than 2 years ago, it's like I was unvaccinated.

Now I have one good self immunity better than any "vaccine".

Better to catch that covid every year, you'll have a good protection just in case there will be a new bad variant.

Bad strategy.

At any moment, Covid could evolve into something really nasty. Being unprepared could be fatal.

3 hours ago, h90 said:

My father was sick...did not need the doc, but it needed a few weeks till he was 100% the same and not tired all the time.
He wasn't sick with anything else the last 30 years....so it had more power than every other thing the last 30 years.

I had a similar experience 6 weeks ago - 12 days I spent indoors, 6 of them feeling very sorry for myself. I am 69, but have had 5 vaccines, the latest booster only 3 weeks before getting covid in Australia. Can't say I 'felt 100%' again for a month or so.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dinga said:

Think again 

Now equate that to the population of Thailand 70,303,685 and again there is no mention of comorbidities or died with or died from Covid. Maybe some perspective is needed.

Edited by dinsdale

38 minutes ago, dinga said:

Think again 

There is a flaw in your logic,  64 deaths out of 2632 hospitalizations may well equal 2.4%   but  that does not take into account the vast majority of people who were not admitted to hospital.  maybe you should think again

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Now equate that to the population of Thailand 70,303,685 and again there is no mention of comorbidities or died with or died from Covid. Maybe some perspective is needed.

simple maths Ol' Son  -  go back and look at the genius' contention

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There is a flaw in your logic,  64 deaths out of 2632 hospitalizations may well equal 2.4%   but  that does not take into account the vast majority of people who were not admitted to hospital.  maybe you should think again

No flaw - simple maths ('may well equal' indeed.....).  Regardless of the deniers, folks DIE.  Message is to take care of yourself as best you can

37 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Bad strategy.

At any moment, Covid could evolve into something really nasty. Being unprepared could be fatal.

It would seem that this is not the case. It's Omicron. If another variant other than Omicron comes in and could be fatal as you say then the current vaccines would be useless. Omicron is rolling along quite nicely. For something else to come in and out dominate Omicron is pure speculation and who is to know if it will be more severe or less severe than Omicron.

6 minutes ago, dinga said:

simple maths Ol' Son  -  go back and look at the genius' contention

Yep. People die. People die with Covid. People die from Covid. Guarantee you more people die daily from other things. Covid would not top the list. Not even close.

31 minutes ago, dinga said:

No flaw - simple maths ('may well equal' indeed.....).  Regardless of the deniers, folks DIE.  Message is to take care of yourself as best you can

Totally flawed actually , you are trying to say that 2.4% of covid cases results in death, and that is clearly not correct.   

The figures quoted in the op refer to the percentage  death rate amongst hospitalizations .  If you knew how many people in total  had been infected   your "simple maths" may have been used to provide a  relevant mortality rate , but you don't , so your figures are irrelevant 

In fact the post you replied to , ( were the poster said 99.999% of people won't die ) was in all likelihood closer to the truth than your figure of 2.4%

I am not a covid denier  I have had it twice that I know of,  possibly more  Neither am I  denying that covid can be fatal.  But lets keep things in perspective   

I certainly don't need you or anybody else telling me to take care of myself

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dinga said:

But what we don't need is scaremongering. Using that 2.4% figure out of context is a bit irresponsible (unless you just made a mistake?) 

1 hour ago, Spock said:

I had a similar experience 6 weeks ago - 12 days I spent indoors, 6 of them feeling very sorry for myself. I am 69, but have had 5 vaccines, the latest booster only 3 weeks before getting covid in Australia. Can't say I 'felt 100%' again for a month or so.

So keep those boosters coming mate, you just provided evidence how effective they are.

Oh wait, soon some of the usual suspects will be here to claim you would probably be dead if didn't have 5 shots

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would wear a mask to protect against Bubonic plague.

Why? 

Bubonic plague is spread through bites from an infected flea or exposure from a break in the skin.

"Bubonic plague is transmitted through the bite of an infected flea or exposure to infected material through a break in the skin. Symptoms include swollen, tender lymph glands called buboes."

https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/plague/faq.asp#:~:text=Bubonic plague is transmitted through,tender lymph glands called buboes.

COVID -19 has claimed almost 7,000,000 lives world wide.

Your post shows the utter ignorance of COVID by so many blowhards on this site unfortunately. 

https://covid19.who.int/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Totally flawed actually , you are trying to say that 2.4% of covid cases results in death, and that is clearly not correct.   

The figures quoted in the op refer to the percentage  death rate amongst hospitalizations .  If you knew how many people in total  had been infected   your "simple maths" may have been used to provide a  relevant mortality rate , but you don't , so your figures are irrelevant 

In fact the post you replied to , ( were the poster said 99.999% of people won't die ) was in all likelihood closer to the truth than your figure of 2.4%

I am not a covid denier  I have had it twice that I know of,  possibly more  Neither am I  denying that covid can be fatal.  But lets keep things in perspective   

I certainly don't need you or anybody else telling me to take care of myself

"I certainly don't need you or anybody else telling me to take care of myself"  -  Legend!

1 hour ago, dinga said:

"I certainly don't need you or anybody else telling me to take care of myself"  -  Legend!

"Legend"    Hardly   just a fully grown adult who has managed 62 years so far without your assistance

So please tell me why you feel "qualified" to give me  advice now, and why you feel the need to scaremonger others  with your misrepresentation of figures, or was it , as another member has speculated , a simple mistake that you don't like to admit to? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

can't remember the last time covid was mentioned in the uk news media, the world has moved on. well, most of the world. better get those masks on guys - especially if you're riding a motorbike without a helmet.

The level of mask wearing in Thailand is now an absolute outlier compared to the rest of the world. 

It is at / past the point of absurdity and really needs to change. 

Time to “Move Forward” from face coverings Thailand.