Return of Chinese Tourists to Thailand Has Pros, Cons

webfact

The VOA article headline might also read:

Return of Chinese tourists to Bangkok, ChiangMai, Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket, etc., has pros and cons.

Thailand is a big country. Easy to go/live where they ain't.

Edited by jerrymahoney

45 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Back to Zero Baht tourism coupled to a resurgence in Chinese underworld crime. 
The place is on the up and up. 

Down my end of Sukhumvit, there's a lot of independent Chinese travellers around at the moment. Youngish people and families. But so far the tour buses haven't returned.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, newnative said:

Correct--if 500 billion baht is considered 'very little cash'.  That's what Chinese visitors dropped in Thailand in 2019.  One site, Statista, pegged it at 543 billion baht.

As others remarked, the cash may go to related Chinese businesses, not to Thai people. Maybe some money could be skimmed off as a roundabout way of getting funds out of China. Many possibilities.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, placnx said:

As others remarked, the cash may go to related Chinese businesses, not to Thai people. Maybe some money could be skimmed off as a roundabout way of getting funds out of China. Many possibilities.

'may go to', 'maybe', 'could be', 'many'.  All very vague.  The 500 billion baht figure I posted is money spent in Thailand by Chinese visitors in 2019.   Thai tourism businesses and other related businesses employing Thais, whether owned by Thais, Chinese, or green men from outer space, benefitted by that 500 billion baht.  When covid hit and Chinese visitor numbers were next to nothing for several years, there was stark evidence on display in tourist areas of just how much that 500 billion baht meant to Thailand's tourism.    That's not to say that tourists from other countries are not important--of course they are, as well.  

• Like 1

I don't want to sound to pessimist but...

China is bracing for a massive new wave of COVID cases. What this means for the rest of the world

https://fortune.com/well/2023/05/24/china-is-bracing-for-a-massive-new-wave-of-covid-cases-what-it-means-for-the-rest-of-the-world/

China faces a new Covid wave that could peak at 65 million cases a week

The country once had some of the harshest Covid restrictions on the planet, but the response from the government and the public is relatively muted this time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I went to a buffet in China once. They were stacking their plates sky high with everything imaginable, more then they could eat.

I think it was a status symbol to have heap high food stacked on the table. It let everyone know they had more sustenance and resources then their neighbor.

I guess you have never been to Sizzler salad bar, with westerners as customers

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, newnative said:

'may go to', 'maybe', 'could be', 'many'.  All very vague.  The 500 billion baht figure I posted is money spent in Thailand by Chinese visitors in 2019. 

No it is not vague. I know a few attractions which the Chinese visit by the bus load, as well as hotels where they stay, and they all owned by Chinese.

The Chinese also own loads of condos which they rent out to Chinese for the short term. All paid in China.

The 500 billion baht is just another figure the government picked out of thin air. How would they know how much the Chinese, or any other nationality for that matter, spends?

Edited by BenStark
  • Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, malibukid said:

the locust are back.  whats scary is that in 50 years they will own the world.

In 15 years they'll own the world, in 30+ years they'll have the same problems the west has now.

In 50 years they are whining about some other country is copy all their products and produce so cheap...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I went to a buffet in China once. They were stacking their plates sky high with everything imaginable, more then they could eat.

I think it was a status symbol to have heap high food stacked on the table. It let everyone know they had more sustenance and resources then their neighbor.

They did not seem to eat or consume more, it was about hoarding it (could be why they were skinny and not overweight ????????‍♂️). Most of it got thrown out by buffet staff later on.

It seemed like they went for the seafood especially (not sure why ????????‍♂️). The platters were empty almost immediately. People rushed in when the server came with a new platter and let the wild things have at it and not get in the way!

Like 20-30 years ago there bus tours from Austria or Germany to Italy....it is as bad with steeling sausage in the pockets, etc.. It need time...one more generation that is grown up without fear for food.

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

No it is not vague. I know a few attractions which the Chinese visit by the bus load, as well as hotels where they stay, and they all owned by Chinese.

The Chinese also own loads of condos which they rent out to Chinese for the short term. All paid in China.

The 500 billion baht is just another figure the government picked out of thin air. How would they know how much the Chinese, or any other nationality for that matter, spends?

You 'know a few attractions' that Chinese visit and  some Chinese are renting condos out to Chinese.  So what?   Meaningless.  You're bogged down in unimportant minutiae, while ignoring the big picture.  And, no, the 500 billion baht is not 'just another figure' and statistical data is not 'picked out of thin air.'   If you're interested, you can go search back through Asean Now and read a good explanation one of our members posted as to how the data is gathered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2023 at 7:05 PM, moogradod said:

There are good and bad behaving people of all nationalities. But to say per average a European visitor is behaving "inferior" to a Chinese is simply outright wrong. I have seen Chinese spitting on the floor just where you wanted to get your breakfast (buffet) at a 4-star hotel. I have never seen that from an European. They rather shout than speak - even at a table of 4. And I doubt they were all deaf. And they do various strange disgusting things of which you might have read in the press. And (some of the) Indians walk around the streets like they were at home in Kolkatta or Mumbai. Dangerous and careless.

But of course there are as well well behaving Chinese, as there are nice Russians (Yes, I know one) and people from India.

Don't forget those Chinese tourists who whiz or take a dump right on the floor in public toilets, in the middle of the street, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2023 at 4:07 PM, malibukid said:

the locust are back.  whats scary is that in 50 years they will own the world.

That's not going to happen. In 50 years China will be bankrupt and back to 3rd world status. Their population currently resembles a reverse pyramid, with old people outnumbering young people by a significant degree. The problems have already started, so you won't have to wait 50 years. I don't know why so many people buy into this bs that China will soon be the world's number one economy. Apart from that, they lie about their growth numbers. It's all CCP proganda.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:58 AM, KhaoNiaw said:

Down my end of Sukhumvit, there's a lot of independent Chinese travellers around at the moment. Youngish people and families. But so far the tour buses haven't returned.   

Come to Pattaya. The tourist buses are back with a vengeance. Late one night a tourist bus stopped at my local 7Eleven on Thappraya Road (because it's easy to park there) and a gang of Chinese, looked like mainly middle-aged woman came in shouting at each other. One thing is for sure, they have no respect for anyone else in their vicinity.

The most amazing thing happened to me. I was at the check out (no one else in line) having my groceries scanned and packed when this well built Chinese woman physically pushed me aside to talk to the cashier. I'm not small at over 100kg, but she shoved me aside LOL. I pushed her back and said wait your turn. The Thai staff found this most amusing.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Haha 1

Looking at the average for the first 4 months of this year the Chinese are the only major tourist market NOT to have returned yet using the 2019 monthly average as the previous best benchmark. Given their massively decreased volume it's probably why people get the impression tourism is quiet despite the fact other markets excluding China have recovered remarkably well given global flight prices and inflation/cost of living increases.

Russia - 137%

Germany - 101%

Malaysia - 97%

UK - 92%

Korea - 85%

USA - 82%

Singapore - 78%

India - 69%

China - 23%

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The most amazing thing happened to me. I was at the check out (no one else in line) having my groceries scanned and packed when this well built Chinese woman physically pushed me aside to talk to the cashier. I'm not small at over 100kg, but she shoved me aside LOL. I pushed her back and said wait your turn. The Thai staff found this most amusing.

I recall I had just arrived at a Jomtien hotel and was at the desk talking to a receptionist and a couple of Chinese coach parties arrived... before I knew it I was 4 persons deep away from the desk. I checked out a few days later... they made staying there a misery. They would stop the lifts going up, when they wanted to go down, and crowd in!

• Like 1