MFP reassures cannabis businesses amid plans to re-list as narcotic

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Lots of focus right now on the plight of cannabis vendors and growers, (and I'm not saying that they don't deserve some sympathy), but don't lose sight of the fact that there's a majority constituency out there who voted for parties opposed to recreational use of cannabis in Thailand.

Would point out the majority voted against the general, the policies of the other parties was largely irrelevant.

The MFP has a list of 45 bills they want enacted, saying that cannabis was the important one in that little lot is disingenuous at best.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Advertising is currently banned by edict from the MoPH.

AFAIK, VAT must be paid at the retail POS.

yes but the ban is not enforced....big promotions, even on the 7/11 I saw one.

I don't know what AFAIK is. But I mean tax comparable with that on beer (something like 100% I got told)

10 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I totally agree, my father smokes his homegrown, and my brothers and my son on occasion. if someone can be trusted with alcohol, then they should already be trusted with weed. but Thais have shown how irresponsible they are with multiple substances so the gov is having a knee-jerk reaction and taking cannabis back off the table, even though meth and alcohol (separately, or worse, together) are the actual villains. I expect many Thais new to cannabis are putting it in the mix of their normal drug routine of meth/yaba, alcohol, tramadol/kratom with M-150 to keep the ember alive. it's no wonder the headlines read like a freakshow horror script. if anything, adding the weed to the mix would take some spin off the ball, but go figure, politics is as politics does

I agree with what you say except for "politics is as politics does." Personally I would substitute politics with ignorance.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

yes but the ban is not enforced

That's an "enforcement" issue, not a Cannabis issue.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

But I mean tax comparable with that on beer

So you propose additional taxes, over and above 7% VAT.

I actually agree with that. I've proposed 5%, for a total of 12%.

• Thanks 1

Maybe smarter heads are looking at the North American continent, and realising the tax benefits in legalisation far outweigh any health risks -or the moral panic of ignorant, programmed "pissheads" who discount the massive societal damage of alcohol in the news worldwide, daily.

We can but hope. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

A bit of regulation couldnt hurt, seen that you can buy 100 grams of KDKT for 900 baht online. Kids can order and receive it by mail hassle free. 

Any Thai kid who can get a hold of B900 to blow on weed is either a juvenile delinquent, or a figment of your imagination. 

The delinquent is going to be that way no matter what laws exist. 

Your argument is a great example of moral panic, it is regressive thinking based on false assumptions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

And why would you do that? You should only punish someone who does harm to someone else or at least endanger someone (like drunk driving). Someone smoking at home. Punish him because it is a sin or why?

Redwood1 is having a laugh. That kind of Singaporean style nonsense doesn't deserve a response from reasonable people. 

I saw many reefers being enjoyed in Singapore during my time there.

Although at that point in my life, it was not my drug of choice, their over the top death laws didn't appear to stop anyone who wanted to use weed, ecstasy, or even cocaine!  Especially among wealthy expats living there, or their Singaporean WAGs. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

It's one of many "options".

I don't think there is a "plan" as of today. There isn't even a Government yet, let alone a cabinet, let alone the opening of a Parliamentary session.

A Cannabis Control Act did pass the first reading OVERWHELMINGLY last year. That might be a good place to start with legislation?

373 MPs voted in support of the bill, with 7 against. 23 MPs abstained.

There are several options.

Re-listing Cannabis Flower as a Narcotic is a long-shot, ~ 5 % chance.

Medical only (probably not available to resident foreigners or tourists), control ceded to DTAM.

Personal use (called "free use" in the Thai Cannabis vernacular), with very strict controls, tracking seed to shelf and sale and limited retail outlets.

The MVF message seems to be "Look, this isn't a major issue for our government. There are many, many, many larger issues which need to be addressed. We'll sort the Cannabis issue and we'll consider the ramifications on existing producers and sellers so as to minimize the negative effects on them."

Wishful thinking, recreational use is on the hit list

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, h90 said:

How many doctors will prescribe it?

Doctors in hospitals who have diagnosed certain ailments and prescribe it as a treatment.

As they do daily with all the other controlled medications.

Edited by hotchilli

If the new Government does put cannabis back on the illegal list and not Alcohol and tobacco witch is also a drug but way more harmful would be hypocritical.  Once you pass into law that all 3 of these drugs are now legal ,then just picking the least harmful one is crazy in my opinion.  If you ban one you must ban all but we all know money talks so in my opinion none of them will be band just regulated, but we shall see in Time.

Regards 

Scotsman     

PS you can buy as much paracetamol in Thailand as you like but its regulated in the UK pharmacies as they only sell you so much at a time.  Paracetamol can also be a harmful drug.   Do you ban them as well I know its a silly example but that is how crazy this knee jerk reaction to Cannabis is.   

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Any Thai kid who can get a hold of B900 to blow on weed is either a juvenile delinquent, or a figment of your imagination. 

The delinquent is going to be that way no matter what laws exist. 

Your argument is a great example of moral panic, it is regressive thinking based on false assumptions. 

You clearly live in a perpetual state of denial, most likely because you use cannabis yourself. Children can and do order cannabis online and the express services do hand it to them without questions asked. 

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

You clearly live in a perpetual state of denial, most likely because you use cannabis yourself. Children can and do order cannabis online and the express services do hand it to them without questions asked. 

Meth tablets are 25bht and available everywhere, why would kids want cannabis @ 500bht/gm?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Meth tablets are 25bht and available everywhere, why would kids want cannabis @ 500bht/gm?

Exactly right. As I've been saying vested interests want this to remain so. Sorry they want dope to be criminalised again. Mind you Bt500 for a gram is IMO a crime.

• Thumbs Up 1

AFAIK, Cannabis is only currently approved in Thailand for treatment for the following:

1. Nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy
2. Epilepsy that is difficult to treat
3. Spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis.
4. Neuropathic pain
5. Anorexia in underweight patients with AIDS,
6. Improving quality of life in patients receiving palliative care or end-of-life patients

May be beneficial for conditions including generalized anxiety disorder, Parkinson
disease, Alzheimer disease, and demyelinating disease
Might be beneficial for cancer treatment, but more information and research are needed

Reports in the press say meth prices per tab are down to 2 baht each, from 300 baht a few years ago.

That said, I'm not sure price per dosage is something relevant when comparing with Cannabis. They are completely different markets.

18 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

A bit of regulation couldnt hurt, seen that you can buy 100 grams of KDKT for 900 baht online. Kids can order and receive it by mail hassle free. 

On-line sales were banned by edict from the MoPH on/about 12 Nov 2022.

Yes, we all know that this has only been enforced on the larger online platforms, only because those companies don't want to run afoul of the changing environment.

Again, there are rules and regulations. That they are not being enforced is neither a Cannabis problem or a "law" problem. Yes, we all agree that there need to be more regulations, restrictions, etc. I guess the police have taken a hands-off approach until they are directed to enforce existing regulations. The RTP still report to Caretaker PM Prayuth. 

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

MFP have made it clear 

Have they though? This very thread starts off with a "less than clear" potential outcome.

Any "message" seems to be

"When we get around to doing something we'll try to make it as easy on folks as we can. For now, don't worry, and carry on growing, selling (as licensed), and consuming for personal use."

I'm not the only one here doing some "wishful thinking"?

• Thumbs Up 1