Christian curriculum using textbooks that deny climate change and say evolution is impossible

onthedarkside

21 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I should imagine that they would steer clear of central heating - given the "other places" experience of heating!

Someone should start a religion that promises Hell, no reprieves.

"Bound for Hell: wait until you see what we've done with the place!"

God has a plan to prepare a new heaven and Earth with a better climate

This sounds like an end of days thing.  Every so often a US Christian cult has an end of the world day, e.g. a week from Tuesday, day of reckoning and all that.  They don't go to work, kids don't go to school so they can all go together.  Tuesday comes and goes, on Wednesday it's back to normal.  Pillow Guy used this same schtick for his political stunts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As posted previously Evolution and creation are both just theories.

There is no evidence to support either.

Here is a neat little video about evolving to overcome antibiotics.... you are aware that many antibiotics from years ago that were 100% effective now are not potent. Evolution.... not shelf life!

Harvard med school demo of evolution of bacteria to overcome antibiotics

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Very easy solution, don't send kids to a Christian school and they won't be bothered with this nonsense.

Years back I sent my kid to a Christian school for 9 yrs, now I'm not very religious but saw nothing wrong in learning some bible versus and having a good code of conduct for the kids. His education was far superior to the public school system.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

I wonder how soon before rightwingnutjob governors start telling parents what materials they can use when home-schooling?

White Christian Nationalists will never, ever be satisfied. And with the Supreme Court backing them up we should probably get used to the American Theocracy.

It's no coincidence that SCOTUS, dominated by Federalist Society Members are also Christian Catholics.

'Evangelicals make up a bigger share of the Republican electorate. But on the courts? It’s conservative Catholics who reign supreme. If confirmed, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, would be the sixth Catholic justice currently sitting on the high court'.

6 Catholics, 1 Court: SCOTUS and the rise of the Federalist Society - POLITICO

Edited by LosLobo

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Years back I sent my kid to a Christian school for 9 yrs, now I'm not very religious but saw nothing wrong in learning some bible versus and having a good code of conduct for the kids. His education was far superior to the public school system.

Perhaps you should define "far superior."  If he's being taught that climate change and evolution are not real--among other things--one has to wonder if your kid would have benefited more from a public school education.  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just one of its bizarre beliefs aside from using the Loch Ness monster as evidence against evolution:

1) God is a right-winger. "Liberals" are the root of all political evil. God's values are rightwing, and anything else is a rejection of His will. On a politics chart, "right" is associated with "absolute" and "God", while "left" is connected to "no values" and "atheism." The term "leftwing", we learn, exists because "left" means "sinister", "to twist something", or "to corrupt." Jesus, by contrast, taught that "we should use what we have to earn a profit." If your political views lean left, you are neither a true Christian, nor a good citizen.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2013/feb/01/nessie-accelerated-christian-education-curriculum

One of the few things I liked about Ronald Reagan's presidency is that he snubbed the Christian Right.  Twice.  They've gotten their act together and ever since they have declared each GOP president was put there by God.

There are Christian churches and congregations that offer good works and charity, but too often it's about making money: religious organizations are tax exempt.

"God is green" said a famous preacher.  There is one such who has a whole fleet of private jets.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wonder what they say about the impossibility of virgins giving birth.

Did Christianity evolve from Mary who couldnt come up with a better excuse why she had got herself knocked up?

Love to know who was the real Dad of Jesus. 

Has there ever been a lie which has had a bigger effect on history?

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

A good code of conduct is not a Christian prerogative. I have been to a very good school without any religion. As an atheist the only thing I respect from the bible is the 10 commandments (which most Christians are not able to follow). There are way too many bible verses which are ridiculous and might give people very crazy ideas.

Here some examples:

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, 

2. One can sell his daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.  

3. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9.  The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.  Should I smite them?

4. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.  Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.  

5. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.  I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there degrees of  abomination?

6. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight.  I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.  Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

7. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.  

8. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

9. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two   different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).  He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?  Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)  

Nice try......but you are now allowed to cherry pick, distort and/or reinterpret what the bible says in order to fit the current narrative.........5555 

• Haha 2

This book they read is just mental, as an avid reader when i was young ( i got so many free books my dad worked at a book factory) It's not even good fiction.

Was given a hard back bible from school, I settled down to read it, Adam, Eve, 2 Sons, Cain and Able, the only people on the planet then Cain murdered his brother THEN went to the "Land Of Nod" :whistling: where he "BEGATE" himself a Wife. at this point I at 12yrs old and really annoyed at this stupid story, I flung it across the room. :coffee1:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Now show me a video of a dog evolving into a horse.

Evolution is a theory ........ as in not proven.

God is a theory ....... again not proven.

Once something is proven they drop the 'theory' bit.

But if evolution was real the number of species in the world should steadily increase.

And the unfortunate fact is, since the 'Cambrian explosion' when most of the major animal groups first 'appeared', the number of species has been reducing.

Which would tend to indicate God (sudden appearance of new animals in a short time) was more likely than evolution (gradual continuous appearance of new animals).

One of the problems with posters is they never think, they just repeat.

The wokes all repeat,

climate change is real an caused by humans

wearing a mask will prevent COVID

Evolution is real and proven

The religious all repeat,

Everything is the will of god

But none of them have ever tried thinking for themselves.

I even have a few doubts about Newtons Laws, as it fails to account for the orbits of the galaxy, and 'dark matter' (something you can't see or measure) to me, smacks a little of religion and faith.

The last paragraph encompasses your idea. Seems a bit lazy given it is well known Newtons laws have been updated or addressed in the 20th century and onwards. It is fascinating that the theory of an invisible something is now required to explain the universe. It does not smack of faith at all but an observation that all the preceding theories don’t cut it and dark matter is the best fit. Keep a line between best fit theory and faith. Science does and religion doesn’t. You know that. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Or that the virgin was impregnated by gawd which is basically a rape.

It's at least sexual assault. Plus, he was a deadbeat dad.

Never could figure why a supposedly omnipotent being would 'create' a Universe of 200 billion galaxies, each with up to a trillion stars, most of which have planets revolving around them, just so he could knock up a female being on one planet in one part of a pedestrian galaxy.....all somehow part of a bizarre initiation ceremony to get one species of being on that one planet into some celestial country club.

Oh, and this omnipotent being has no problem whatsoever with slavery, and even told one of his early Guys with the Red Phoneline (Moses) how husbands/significant others could and should abort fetuses if they suspect the wife had dallied (albeit NOT with said omnipotent being, Joey, so get thee to Bethlehem in December).

Is the explanation for all of this in those schoolbooks just after the denial of evolution?

Edited by Walker88
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Now show me a video of a dog evolving into a horse.

Evolution is a theory ........ as in not proven.

God is a theory ....... again not proven.

Once something is proven they drop the 'theory' bit.

But if evolution was real the number of species in the world should steadily increase.

And the unfortunate fact is, since the 'Cambrian explosion' when most of the major animal groups first 'appeared', the number of species has been reducing.

Which would tend to indicate God (sudden appearance of new animals in a short time) was more likely than evolution (gradual continuous appearance of new animals).

One of the problems with posters is they never think, they just repeat.

The wokes all repeat,

climate change is real an caused by humans

wearing a mask will prevent COVID

Evolution is real and proven

The religious all repeat,

Everything is the will of god

But none of them have ever tried thinking for themselves.

I even have a few doubts about Newtons Laws, as it fails to account for the orbits of the galaxy, and 'dark matter' (something you can't see or measure) to me, smacks a little of religion and faith.

Well like the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum you can claim to disprove Evolution by citing the Lochness Monster in Scotland.

ACE made headlines last year for a science textbook that cites the existence of the Loch Ness monster as evidence against evolution.

Those who are more educated follow the science:

EVIDENCE FOR EVOLUTION

https://necsi.edu/evidence-for-evolution

Evidence for evolution

https://www.uc.edu/content/dam/refresh/cont-ed-62/olli/s21/kahn-evidence-of-evolution.pdf

I'm sure the scientists who excavated tiktaalik will be crushed to learn that their discovery doesn't, in fact, exist. But even without fossils, evolution is thoroughly supported by DNA and a wealth of other evidence.

Charles Darwin lived a long time ago. So long ago that they didn't have any modern technology such as DNA, etc and yet he was still able to posit a pretty good theory of evolution just by observation. The mere fact that dogs have 2 forward looking eyes, 5 toes, ears and a nose just like us is no coincidence. And it's not just one animal.

• Thumbs Up 1