Uproar over shameful exploitation by taxi drivers at Muang Thong Thani convention centre

webfact

iT is the fine that they have to pay of 2000 THB.. That is not of this ear anymore Make it 20.000 THB if they don't use the meter or even revoke their license... A lot of taxi drivers behave normal, as it should be only these rotten apples you have to get rid off, But this is Thailand and because there no institution that is willing to do their job it is a mess

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

iT is the fine that they have to pay of 2000 THB.. That is not of this ear anymore Make it 20.000 THB if they don't use the meter or even revoke their license... A lot of taxi drivers behave normal, as it should be only these rotten apples you have to get rid off, But this is Thailand and because there no institution that is willing to do their job it is a mess

The authorities could do many things to sort this type of thing out.

but we know what will be done.

A big fat nothing.

Maybe the new kids on the block,  will put it on the to do list. :cheesy:

8 minutes ago, quake said:
17 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Me too. Why? I enquire first. If don’t like, don’t use. 

You missed the joke from the post above my one. :cheesy:

Indeed he did.... 

He also prefers to be stranded when 10 taxi’s in a row refuse to use the meter !!!!... 

Never happened to him though, right ??.... Even when there are news articles of highlight the dishonest behaviour of the taxi drivers we always have the ‘it never happened to me’ crowd piping up... I wonder if they ever even leave their houses !!!!... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's why I don't use 'regular' taxis anymore, cause...

1. They either want to overcharge you upfront, or cheat you after you're in the cab, announcing to you that they won't use their meter.

2. It is sometimes a pain to get a taxi, cause they don't like longer trips, or only want to go certain routes, don't like it if you have larger bags, etc.

3. They don't speak or understand English (anymore), unlike taxi drivers 10 or 20 years ago.

4. They often don't know how to get to the destination (if it isn't the airport or another landmark)! And a good number don't seem to be able to read properly, and follow GPS instructions.

5. They sometimes use longer routes than necessary, thereby wasting passengers' time and money.

6: Blasting out loud Isaan music.
7: Stink to high  heaven as they sometimes sleep in their taxi.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

we always have the ‘it never happened to me’ crowd piping up... I wonder if they ever even leave their houses !!!!... 

Sure they do, when there wives drive them to the ATM., every week. :giggle:

Edited by quake

Bangkok, a unique and charming chaos,  has tried to become a 2nd Singapore for many decades and has made all the wrong decisions , as usual, in regard to what problems (if they are ) to attack first. Came up with removing the street stalls e.g.Sukhumvit and Silom, to central, rather invisible or badly accessible areas, whereas exactly that chaos was what made BGK so different and interesting, same for the fast food stalls whose Kuai Thiao was at times the best available plus the many stalls working class needed to pick up their meals on the way to the workplace. The gentrification of whole previously picturesque albeit a bit rundown areas , the filling in of canals where the last connecting boats would take one to the river and on to destination.....adventurous and very very much fun, having the plod in party areas only in small and mostly inactive movements, drug controls and urine sampling of everyone and everybody caught in nightlife spots, no more cigarettes in public places, etc. etc. The really important and not so obvious but thought through measures Singapore had taken a long time ago and long before the massive law and order thingummie was to fight corruption and Chinese style chaos and disorder everywhere and see to it everyone had acceptable housing and health care , examples : the signs in all taxis giving the name of the driver and the rules by which he keeps his licence , a complaint tel. line (no, the other end did not say "Thonglor police station, what can you do for me?" and the call for "no tipping" , sidewalks where one did not disappear in if one was busy watching the overhead signs and cables at 1.5 m, talking of which: electric and telefone cables are not the chaotic spaghetti that cause so much havoc in every sense. Aaah, I just remembered the time in the 80s when the metered taxis were introduced..........."velly solly sir, not working, meetah, where you go? I know very cheap place for diamonns, goverment, no cheating...." and you were taken from Nana Hotel via Silom and back via MBK to Sukhumvit to a shop where you spent at least 1 hour ..." So really, what has changed at the bottom line?

• Like 1

The route of the problem the government needs to solve is probably the ridiculously cheap fares taxis in Bangkok can charge when they regularly use the meter. 

I understand we are in Thailand but a 200 - 300 baht for a 15 km ride is simply not justified. I like cheap things but for this one service I honestly think the price should be higher.

What we all forget is we just ride one way but the cabs mostly have to return to their starting point (due to assigned taxi waiting spots), the gasoline, the buying of a car, the regular changing of tires, maintenance of the car, the risk and responsibility a driver has if he incures in an accident with a customer inside and last the price of a regular license to do the job - which Bolt doesn't have).

1 hour ago, bogs smith said:

all taxi drivers are louts/bandits.

dont give them the satisfaction.

call a grab instead.

I had several very nice taxi driver....outside of tourist areas I would say 99% are honest. Only downtown it is bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

The route of the problem the government needs to solve is probably the ridiculously cheap fares taxis in Bangkok can charge when they regularly use the meter. 

I understand we are in Thailand but a 200 - 300 baht for a 15 km ride is simply not justified. I like cheap things but for this one service I honestly think the price should be higher.

What we all forget is we just ride one way but the cabs mostly have to return to their starting point (due to assigned taxi waiting spots), the gasoline, the buying of a car, the regular changing of tires, maintenance of the car, the risk and responsibility a driver has if he incures in an accident with a customer inside and last the price of a regular license to do the job - which Bolt doesn't have).

They all use gas which is super cheap. If the fare would be too low, you wouldn't find a taxi driver. But all is full with them so the fare is high enough. One Taxi driver from Suvanabuhmi airport to downtown was whining that he make so little money, just 3000 Baht per day....I think that is pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eventually they screw over the wrong person who talks about it publicly and it might shame them.  When hotels in the Asoke started giving guests pamphlets on how to deal with police stopping them on the street for drug testing our BiB friends began behaving themselves.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Only Thailand could build a 10,000 seat arena with no way to get to it except by road and taxi.

Geez Barry. 

You seem to habitually make up stories about "only Thailand" when plenty of other countries have the same issues.

Please fact check on google before making things up.

• Like 1

Competition will eventually punch their proverbial ticket. Driverless cabs, on test and in use in other parts of the world will sort them out. No-one to intimidate or beat up. A robot on wheels powered by AI. Fast, efficient, safe and standard pricing. Sadly, it will take out a few "good guys" as well. It will be the end of the crazy van drivers as well. Two birds with one stone.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Eventually they screw over the wrong person who talks about it publicly and it might shame them.  When hotels in the Asoke started giving guests pamphlets on how to deal with police stopping them on the street for drug testing our BiB friends began behaving themselves.

Or they get someone who had a really bad day and his girlfriend left and he has no money and than complete freak out.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Use BOLT taxi service, app is super easy to use, a little cheaper than GRAB.

Bolt has options of car with full taxi branding, motorcycle or 'econo' car, meaning basic car in good condition and very clean, no taxi branding. I use 'Econo' car, about 10 to 15 Baht cheaper than branded taxi. 

One item: BOLT curently only accept cash, soon to be changed to have QR code etc. Drivers always have change.

Can add extra details of location of pick up in English, their app automatically/immediately changes your message to Thai for the driver. 

App shows where the car is all the time. 

BOLT driver's courteous and focused.

I have also had good experiences with the InDrive app.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1