Corruption watchdog should check the assets and bank accounts of all police commanders

webfact

Yawn again, just publish the weather charts - more interesting than this repetitive nonsense on army, police and corruption in the same sentence/article. Too much of a bad thing is ........ not only bad but boring 8-) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carlyai said:

Or the top guys at the Lam Chabang Port.

One guy I dealt who had about half a kilo of gold around his neck. 

The sentiment was that if I didn't pay the extra bits they wouldn't unload my stuff in the container, then charge me storage fees!

Sometimes you really need a Remington 6 shot semi-automatic shot gun with maximum shot in the cartridges.

See how his bits and pieces feel after that.

It cost me more to get 11 packing boxes out of Bangkok Dock then 30km to the sister in laws than picked up fromour home in scotland via Singapore to Bangkok.  Held everything hostage and was not allowed even to pick it up from the Dock. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And the watches were the tip of the iceberg. I think if the Thai people knew the true extent of the embezzlement, theft and Marcos level chicanery that went on, they would revolt. Likely more like NYC penthouses, Swiss lakefront chalets, and billions of dollars parked overseas. The watches? Fubar.

Yes, I suspect that that is the only "misdemeanour" that we know about, and that is because he was foolish enough to flaunt it in full view of the cameras - no doubt there are other "hidden assets" that we don't know about.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m not holding my breath, but if they actually manage to go after the police commanders, that would be a very good first step. But how about the rest of the police force? You don’t have to be a police commander to be corrupt, just look at Joe Ferrari.

And while they’re at it: how about all those rich generals? And how about all those rich MP’s? The list goes on, but how about checking their assets and bank accounts? There are lots of people in Thailand who are ‘unusually wealthy’, and it would be very good to go after them and confiscate all (or most) of that ill-gotten wealth. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And the watches were the tip of the iceberg. I think if the Thai people knew the true extent of the embezzlement, theft and Marcos level chicanery that went on, they would revolt. Likely more like NYC penthouses, Swiss lakefront chalets, and billions of dollars parked overseas. The watches? Fubar.

.....and most tend to be terribly oblivious [even ignorant] to the ages old criminal graft that naturally associates itself with such arcane elitist activities, under the disguised name of patronage.

• Like 1

Not be only commanders, although that is a good place to start. All police officers and they must submit bank account details annually. Sure they could launder their ill gotten gains, but chuck a few in jail for five years and I think you'll see a marked drop in demanding 'tea money '!

The only way to stop or control it is to have an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) like they had in Hong Kong when it was still a British colony. 

They employed outsiders seconded from British police forces to break down the corrupt relationships between the police and criminals. This was combined with raising salaries so no one had the excuse of needing corrupt money.

Difficult to implement in Thailand as too many pigs with their noses in the trough. A new Government might be able to start the process but over 50% of the army and the police would have to be sacked, thus provoking another coup.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Corruption is rampant in all countries in politics and police forces. If the National Anti-Corruption Commission were to announce the were going to investigate police commanders you can rest assured that the commission would report that they found nothing as the commanders would slip them a bribe so fast you wouldn't believe it.

Kind of like how the RTP police never find any hint of prostitute anywhere at any time.

Alternatively, the police will use the files that it has on them, their family and their connections.

The army tried to investigate the Thai police after the coup, as it was perceived as pro-Thaksin. Then the police arrested an army general for human trafficking. The message was well received by the army and the investigation into the police was terminated.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Difficult to implement in Thailand as too many pigs with their noses in the trough. A new Government might be able to start the process but over 50% of the army and the police would have to be sacked, thus provoking another coup.

A little bit conservative there. I would say an easy 90% of police and that's on a bad day.

Edited by quake