Thai Banks are Starting to Require Facial Recognition for High-Value Transactions

webfact

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Krungsi have got it wrong. It's not possible to take a foreigners photo and then link it to a passport and bank account. The process involves scanning a Thai ID card, taking a photo and linking the ID data and photo to a bank account. Not possible with a passport. Also our local Krungsi branch is adamant that foreigners are NOT included as they do NOT have Thai ID cards

Looks like Krungsri are (wisely) getting ahead of the game at some branches by getting the photo and passport stuff ready for when their systems are updated.  From the other thread linked above there are more actual examples of this.

I'm sure your branch will get the memo soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Krungsi have got it wrong. It's not possible to take a foreigners photo and then link it to a passport and bank account. The process involves scanning a Thai ID card, taking a photo and linking the ID data and photo to a bank account. Not possible with a passport. Also our local Krungsi branch is adamant that foreigners are NOT included as they do NOT have Thai ID cards

Not correct as I stated I just went in begining of last week and did it at their request.  

The took my passport, my bank book and photo  and the updated my bank book so not sure what your talking about. 

Your also wrong about not being for foreigners as I have the notice that popped up every time I used the phone app clearly stating for foreigners.  Here's their notice, which stopped as soon as I did it:

If you haven't had your photo taken with us, please visit any Krungsri Bank branch with your ID card/passport (for foreigners) to register your face for identity verification in KMA starting from 27 June 2023 when transferring money 50,000 Baht or more per transaction and cumulative transfers of 200,000 Baht/day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I don't believe that your 50k transaction was blocked as this new system is NOT in effect yet.

Believe it. I had exactly the same experience. Bangkok Bank is blocking my attempted transfers of 50k and above and giving the exact message the poster you replied to is reporting.

I was able to transfer 49999 Baht immediately after, and more immediately after that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

they my have taken your photo BUT it will not be linked to your account as you don't have a Thai ID card

So how is it stored then? Must be linked to something unique. Bangkok Bank took mine and required bank book and passport at the same time. Then my other bank said not available for foreigners......

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2023 at 8:34 AM, TigerandDog said:

I don't believe that your 50k transaction was blocked as this new system is NOT in effect yet.

It is for some banks. My wife tried to do a 50,000 baht transfer from her Kasikorn account the other day and it wouldn't let her do it until she provided a face scan.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, swissbie said:

I did it last week at a KrungSri branch in Hat Yai. There was some confusion and they admitted, that they aren't used to this system yet, but finally no problem. They used the passport instead of an ID and didn't say a word about different rules for foreigners.

That's correct, I've already done it in NST myself. 

On 6/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, TigerandDog said:

they my have taken your photo BUT it will not be linked to your account as you don't have a Thai ID card

Not true, I did mine and they used passport and bank book and took ID photo. Then called the manager over to double check and approve the update to their system. Stop make false claims about not linking passport to your account

On 6/7/2023 at 11:43 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

It is for some banks. My wife tried to do a 50,000 baht transfer from her Kasikorn account the other day and it wouldn't let her do it until she provided a face scan.

I don't believe you as it does not come into effect until 1 July.

• Confused 1

On 6/7/2023 at 12:57 PM, Dan O said:

Not true, I did mine and they used passport and bank book and took ID photo. Then called the manager over to double check and approve the update to their system. Stop make false claims about not linking passport to your account

Not false claims mate. My 3 banks tried that and it couldn't be done. All 3 banks are adamant that foreigners are NOT included, and for the record they are ttb, Krungsi and Kasikorn.

16 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Went along to buy a new m/c today (Click 160), needed to pay them 62,500.

BKB app said NO. Transferred 12,500 to my other bank TTB, went for 50k transfer, 'You have exceeded your daily limit of 50kbht'. (Promtpay NO, bank transfer NO, transfer to my other bank NO).

Next message, 'Please take your ID card/Passport, and bank book to a BKB branch'

Had to walk to an ATM and get the extra 12,500bht out in cash.

So there you go BKB have already restricted transfers to 50kbht.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:57 AM, ripper15 said:

Just keep your tranfers under B50,000 and do multiple online transfers, no fees yet for transfers at Bangkok bank. I could not be bothered to go to the bank when I got the message this month to go to the branch here in Pattaya.

You can't, daily limit for electronic transfers is 50kbht, I know as I tried it with Bangkok Bank app today.

• Thanks 1

I just had to pay my income tax which was 1.9M Baht in Taiwan.

I don't know if this is because I am a long year customer by the bank, but I didnt need to be in person there.

Beside the usual Power of Attorney original document signed by myself, a Passport Copy signed,

The Tax remittance advice file from Taiwan signed, my wife called me via whatsapp, the Bank manager said hello and made a screen shot.

That was suffiucient... 

So it saved me from flying and pop up in person at the Bank.. 

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So there you go BKB have already restricted transfers to 50kbht.

Well kind of good to know..... I did go there last month with my passport, bankbook and had my pic taken.

41 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Not false claims mate. My 3 banks tried that and it couldn't be done. All 3 banks are adamant that foreigners are NOT included, and for the record they are ttb, Krungsi and Kasikorn.

I think your claim is not accurate but that's on you

Krungsri did it for me 2 weeks ago and for a number of others. I've posted the notice from Krungsri to you already. They send that notice to all customers using phone app so they certainly know the requirements. The notice clearly states it's for foreigners as well with direction to bring your passport and bank book. Maybe its just your branch or just you.

As I've said, the confusion is within bank to bank not with me. Several people have also report that their transfers were stopped until they go in and get the facial photo update.

Believe what you want I really don't care. I'm done with this discussion with you. 

• Sad 1

What, so you think I've just decided to lie about something as trivial and inconsequential as this?

I can absolutely guarantee you that for Kasikorn bank transactions, this is already in effect.

I just got her to try another 50,000 baht transfer, to double check.

After putting the account details and amount, and hitting "Confirm" this is the screen that appeared.

Screenshot_2023_0609_175636.png

• Love It 1

Also, even the very article that is the OP in this thread, says that:

"Financial institutions in Thailand have begun mandating facial recognition for customers conducting high-value transactions."

(Emphasis mine).

It doesn't say they're going to start mandating this as of July 1, it says quite clearly that they have begun doing it already.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What, so you think I've just decided to lie about something as trivial and inconsequential as this?

I can absolutely guarantee you that for Kasikorn bank transactions, this is already in effect.

I just got her to try another 50,000 baht transfer, to double check.

After putting the account details and amount, and hitting "Confirm" this is the screen that appeared.

Yes, and as a foreigner banking with Kasikorn, this is what you will see:

Try it: more / settings / facial verification with bank

I'm sure once they figure how how, it will be put in place for us.

kplus.thumb.jpg.25fad0a0b38a59e0c9cb689877b1ddf5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Just tried it, that's what I got....

31 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

I already stated in an earlier post that I (as a foreigner) did not have to do a facial recognition check to make 50,000 baht + transfers and that it is my wife (who is Thai) who has to do it.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I already stated in an earlier post that I (as a farang) did not have to do a facial recognition check to make 50,000 baht + transfers and that it was my wife (who is Thai) who had to do it.

Yeah I wasnt disputing it, just adding detail from the app from a farang standpoint.

Also, my (Thai) missus' Kasikorn shows the screen you posted - allowing her to add the face scan in the app, without a branch visit it would seem.

So it confirms that with Kasikorn the system is in place for Thais.

• Like 1

Realistically, how much would this slow down the mule account used in phone scamming? 

if the daily limit is still 200,000 for transactions, they can only move the money out 4 times a day, that might give time for the account to be reported and frozen.

But I don't see them being able to implement face scanning for internet (browser-based) banking soon, granted, some banks have discontinued the service already. 

The phone scammers are already kidnapping people to man the call centres in border towns, now they'll just keep kidnap the mule account owner too

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:37 AM, Tubulat said:

Is that also applicable with a bank transfer, what can you do when your computer doesn't have a camera?

It's only been mentioned in relation to phone banking apps, not computer transacted business.  There's no notifications showing for BBL, Krungsri, UOBT or Kasikorn.