Swedish bank notes now useless abroad

3 hours ago, fulhamster said:

Are Swedish banks still allowing bank transfers to other countries ?? My neighbour has his Swedish pension sent over monthly

Of course, they are.  Why would Sweden isolate itself financially from the rest of the world by not allowing international transactions?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

I imagine this will affect quite a few pensioners from Sweden and Norway. Hopefully they find a solution. I can’t imagine not being tech savvy and having to deal with this. 

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Another thing what will bank robbers have to steal in a cashless society , they will

have to just be gold and gems robbers

There's plenty of ways to steal money electronically. In fact, most banks lose much more money to cybercrime these days than they ever did to physical bank robberies.

According to statistics, the average bank robbery nowadays nets less than $100,000.*

Cybercrime can run into the millions, if not billions. For instance, according to the Reuters article below:

A multinational gang of cyber criminals has stolen as much as $1 billion from as many as 100 financial institutions around the world in about two years.

Cybercrime ring steals up to $1 billion from banks

*Edit: That was based on an older article I found. 2023 statistics actually puts the average bank robbery in the US at less than $10,000.

The Most Surprising Bank Robbery Statistics And Trends in 2023

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, smedly said:

it will be a sad day when everything goes cashless, it might be convenient but you are then at the mercy of banks and charges for every transaction, that will be a sad day when we have no choice

In the UK we are practically there. Only one, max 2 (out of 10) of the self service tills,  in supermarkets and will except cash payments. Rarely are drinks brought in a pub with cash

it's only a matter of time

Even in Thailand, all of the youngsters and growing number of adults are using their phone to make payments or get cash from ATM's. It's supposed to be quicker and easier but every time i seem to go to the ATM there is always someone using their phone who only decides to open their phone at the last minute then signing into the app and taking twice as long as normal. Then doing it all again when they do another transaction for auntie, uncle or send money etc.

More convenient yes, quicker no until it becomes second nature for everyone

• Like 1

13 hours ago, it is what it is said:

cashless payments may be convenient and easy in cities, this is not the case in many rural areas, even in the uk, in developing counties it would be a disaster.

Yes, how are people supposed to pay for (some) goods or services, say in Thailand, if cash was banned? The minimum for card purchases in some small shops in Thailand is 300 baht, so what to do if you just want to buy a soda? Or imagine paying Thai taxis, or Pattaya songtaews with a credit card, not to mention market sellers... - I personally was ripped off by a taxi driver in Melbourne due to the fact that, just having gotten off the plane, I didn't have a "Mykey" to pay for transportation, which one can hardly even get at the airport. Similarly in Singapore, one can not  use a foreign debit card to pay for single city train tickets. Taking a bus into town, on the other hand, you won't get any change. Worked for me though, as I counted my overpriced taxi trip in Melbourne as a 'tour', not booking any others, and as for Singapore, when I had the time on a stopover to visit again, I rather didn't, thereby saving me all the trouble...

My point is, cash-free may be good and convenient for locals, but possibly troublesome for tourists.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Cashless society !, what will an old fart do ,does not have, does not want

a smart phone , everytime I go to Makro ,checking out ,I have added up

my basket , to know what to pay , and more importantly that they don't

overcharge me ,and it's more common than you think ,and not just Makro,

So the 2 persons in front of me , pay with their phone , which they don't take

out until the amount comes up on the screen , then fiddle about , worse again

those paying with credit card , my turn so amount B 2,435 , hand over the B 2,500

in notes ,because i already know how much i have to pay ,get change , for me

CASH is king ,to use , not so much on the interest it accrues ,which is krap.

Maybe some people are slow to pay electronically but not everyone.

I always have whatever app I'm using (usually True Money) ready before the teller has even finished ringing up the items.

Then there are some people who are really slow when paying with cash. My wife for instance, never seems to think about getting her purse out until after the amount has already been rung up by the teller. I stopped bothering to remind her about it years ago as she just gets all defensive if I do.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

it will be a sad day when everything goes cashless, it might be convenient but you are then at the mercy of banks and charges for every transaction, that will be a sad day when we have no choice

i am old enough to remberer when the move to wages payed in cash payed directly into the bank , although it seemed good at the time it provided banks with a huge balance sheet onver night, from that time they a have , <deleted> ck ed it up in so called captital markets and when the <deleted> hits the the fan  we bail them out,  huge amounts of money, people would be broke yet we keep rewarding them and saving them

i say - where did we go wrong, lets get back to cash

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

i am old enough to remberer when the move to wages payed in cash payed directly into the bank , although it seemed good at the time it provided banks with a huge balance sheet onver night, from that time they a have , <deleted> ck ed it up in so called captital markets and when the <deleted> hits the the fan  we bail them out,  huge amounts of money, people would be broke yet we keep rewarding them and saving them

we gave them our money to play with, and when it fails we bail them out, that is seriously messed up, grrrrrrr

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritScot said:

I can't believe people cheer cashless society! Have they not learned anything? Canada freezing Bank accounts was bad enough just imagine governments with specific power like "you have had your 2 beers this week so no more beer or your carbon credit exceeds your allocation as a nothing person so no heating/aircon/electricity or no meat... wake up for heaven sake!!! 

I believe they already did something like that in Australia when they were trialling cashless pensions.

Pensioners  were issued a card instead. They could only spend their pension in certain government authorised shops, and were not allowed to buy alcohol  or cigarettes.

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Or something like this happens:  Due to technical issues caused by our payment provider, SumUp, we were unable to process card transactions for two hours at Aviva Stadium," the company said in a statement.

This was in Ireland at an American College Football game so the consequences were no beer or hot dogs for two hours.  Just imagine something like this happens for a longer period  and on a larger scale.  Essentially the future means just about everything will be electric and electronic financial transaction(meaning no physical money).  Don’t ever lose your phone because you might not be able to buy anything until you replace the phone.  

In 18hundredsomething was a real bad solar storm that took out some of the electric they had then in USA. Imagine we have that now. They might be able to restore some electric in a couple of days but than it needs time to restore the internet and all the time you have no payments. While with cash the supermarkets could do it local somehow

2 hours ago, smedly said:

We went back to cash....on the end of the month every staff get an envelope with the cash inside.

Basically on the end of the month we empty the company bank account and than pay the expenses the best possible in cash or go with the cash to the bank and pay in.

A little bit more work but as more people use cash as harder it gets to change to a pure cashless society.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Hear", not "here".

Just a typo I corrected in the subsequent post.????

I'm aware of that, my comment was not a correction, neither was it directed to you, it was addressed to "it is what it is said", whose response to your post was "eh?".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, they are.  Why would Sweden isolate itself financially from the rest of the world by not allowing international transactions?

The report says that they don't want people spending the currency abroad.

Sending a transfer to a foreign account is the same ?

4 hours ago, fulhamster said:

No physical krone etc notes change hands with an electronic transaction and the problem is the banks don't want to buy these back as they have to do if someone changes note for Baht or whatever.

19 hours ago, fulhamster said:
On 6/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would Sweden do something so ridiculously, financially destructive as isolating itself financially from the rest of the world by not allowing international banking transactions?  You really think that Sweden does not need international trade?

On 6/7/2023 at 5:28 PM, treetops said:

the problem is the banks don't want to buy these back as they have to do if someone changes note for Baht or whatever.

"...they have to do if someone changes note..."

They don't have to...that's what the thread is about, Scandinavian banks not buying back their currency.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:50 AM, Captain Monday said:

Cash should be banned anyway, I here it is not easy to use in Stockholm.

Stupid communist idea. Markets all cash. They cannot afford eftpos machine and ripoff bank fees. 

The 220 baht atm fee is bad enough.

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would Sweden do something so ridiculously, financially destructive as isolating itself financially from the rest of the world by not allowing international banking transactions?  You really think that Sweden does not need international trade?

Crazy commies.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:23 PM, phetphet said:

Also at the mercy of governments. They will be able to take away your ability to buy anything or go anywhere if they so desire.

These governments issue currencies  Just a bit of paper. Really, is it your money?

You are supposed to earn it legally. Why should criminals be allowed to use an exchange system based on the faith and credit of governments whilst scoffing and the laws and running scams and crimes? Of course ill gotten gains should be seized. Legally required taxes unpaid, forfeited with penalties.

Similarly you should be locked out of the the electronic financial system and accounts frozen, like a rogue nation.  

Much easier to fully implement in  a cashless economy. Any no more geezers faffing about with dirty notes and coins holding up the checkout line.

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

These governments issue currencies  Just a bit of paper. Really, is it your money?

You are supposed to earn it legally. Why should criminals be allowed to use an exchange system based on the faith and credit of governments whilst scoffing and the laws and running scams and crimes? Of course ill gotten gains should be seized. Legally required taxes unpaid, forfeited with penalties.

Similarly you should be locked out of the the electronic financial system and accounts frozen, like a rogue nation.  

Much easier to fully implement in  a cashless economy. Any no more geezers faffing about with dirty notes and coins holding up the checkout line.

You are presuming you will have a government that cares about it people and their rights rather than themselves and maintaining power and control. 

Why should law abiding people be denied the freedom to spend their cash where, when and how they want. Indeed many times, even in the UK I have been able to haggle a price down  by paying cash. Nothing illegal in that.

From what I experience in checkout lines, it takes me longer to pay by scanning and paying on my mobile than paying with cash. Sometimes I give up and just pay in cash.

You have your view, I have mine. We will just have to agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

You are presuming you will have a government that cares about it people and their rights rather than themselves and maintaining power and control. 

Why should law abiding people be denied the freedom to spend their cash where, when and how they want. Indeed many times, even in the UK I have been able to haggle a price down  by paying cash. Nothing illegal in that.

From what I experience in checkout lines, it takes me longer to pay by scanning and paying on my mobile than paying with cash. Sometimes I give up and just pay in cash.

You have your view, I have mine. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Nonsense. Your funds are property of the Crown. Now His Majesty Charles III. And in accordance to the Proceeds of  a crime act (2002) are subject to forfeiture.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

You so naive. Politicans give themselves and other public servants pay rises that many don't get. The biggest crooks are the ones printing the paper.

17 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Nonsense. Your funds are property of the Crown. Now His Majesty Charles III. And in accordance to the Proceeds of  a crime act (2002) are subject to forfeiture.

There's another freeloader. Given millions for nothing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Exactly they don't. They all get millions each in benefits or money. Lots of freebies.