Children are in a critical condition following a knife attack in south-eastern France

Social Media

As we've been reporting, details of this knife attack in south-eastern France are still coming in and there are still many questions that need answering. But here's a brief recap of what we know so far:

• Several people, including a number of children reportedly aged around three years old, have been injured following a mass stabbing attack in Annecy, an alpine town in south-eastern France
  • The attack took place this morning, at around 09:45 local time, in a park
  • Three of the children are reportedly in a life-threatening condition
  • Various French media are reporting that the suspect, a man, has identified himself to police as a Syrian asylum seeker
  • He's already been arrested and French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin praised police for a "rapid intervention"
  • Prime Minister Élisabeth Borne is also on her way to Annecy
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, James105 said:

"my fear is regardless of the outcome the fact that the suspect is a refugee will be used by the far right"

I don't want to see kids getting stabbed in a park.   Guess that makes me far right then.  

No, that’s not makes you far right.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Those who believe this might be a religiously inspired attack should re-evaluate. The attacker is a Christian, and terrible things have sometimes been done throughout history in the name of Christianity. However, in no way is this kind of attack typical of the vast majority of Christians, now or in the past. It is clearly just the action of a seriously mentally disturbed man. I hope that he, and most of all his victims, get the help they need.

Nor are these attacks at all typical of refugees and asylum seekers.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Those who believe this might be a religiously inspired attack should re-evaluate. The attacker is a Christian, and terrible things have sometimes been done throughout history in the name of Christianity. However, in no way is this kind of attack typical of the vast majority of Christians, now or in the past. It is clearly just the action of a seriously mentally disturbed man. I hope that he, and most of all his victims, get the help they need.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

I hope he gets exactly what he deserves, and it isn't sympathy!!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Claimed to be a Christian, personally I wouldn't believe it.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Of you wouldn’t, it doesn’t fit your world view.

I agree with the thrust of your post. For balance, it is true that a few asylum applications include dubious claims to be from persecuted religious minorities (though Syrian Christians have generally not faced extreme levels of discrimination unlike in countries like Saudi Arabia). Maybe, though I doubt it, he is one of the rare individuals who made totally fraudulent asylum applications.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I agree with the thrust of your post. For balance, it is true that a few asylum applications include dubious claims to be from persecuted religious minorities (though Syrian Christians have generally not faced extreme levels of discrimination unlike in countries like Saudi Arabia). Maybe, though I doubt it, he is one of the rare individuals who made totally fraudulent asylum applications.

Ahem!

"Christians were about 10 percent of Syria's population of 21 million before the war began in 2011. Now, they account for about 5 percent, with fewer than 700,000 left, according to groups that track the persecution of Christians around the world."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/23/world/middleeast/syria-christians-idlib.html#:~:text=Christians were about 10 percent,of Christians around the world.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think it's an attack from an African/Arab refugee from a primitive country, granted asylum in a civilised country ........ same as most of the other stabby attacks.

It's not to do with their religion, it's to do with where they originated.

I blame the 19th century missionaries. They obviously didn't do a very good job in civilising these 'primitive' countries ????

• Haha 1