Immigration officer complaining about my visa exemption

56 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The legal/formal definition of tourist in Thailand is the one who's coming on a tourist visa or visa exempt.

My definition of a tourist is "are you a 2 week millionaire in heaven". If not you've stayed too long and no longer a tourist ???? 

53 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

No, that is not the definition. It is a person who fits the definition. ???? 

If you came on a tourist visa or visa exempt, you are considered a tourist for all legal and formal purposes, regardless of how long you've stayed in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/11/2023 at 2:59 PM, UWEB said:

Was traveling to Thailand 12 years on NON O retirement extension while working Onshore and Offshore, never have had any problem with IO. Best way to go.

Same here. . .  19yrs mostly as a tourist and not a singel time had an issue with an IO , also did over 20 visa runs.  

• Confused 1

On 6/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, n00dle said:

Has she made remrks in your passport or done anythng to suggest that you cannot renter the country on your exemption after you go?

If not, ignore and business as usuaul until you hear different,

No there are no remarks on the passport itself. Not sure if they have the means to doe that on their database when they scan the passport as you enter.

Anyway as I already had the required funds in my Thai bank account I applied for the Non O retirement visa at Jomtien to be on the safe side. She got her way and earned the Kingdom some extra visa income!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, Yewbzee said:

She actually tried to make it sound like she was doing me a favour by saying the visa exemption "is not good for you". 

I tried to point out in a  friendly manner that it was actually ideal for me.

Fairly obvious that she meant that it is "not good for you" because it attracts the unwanted attention of IOs, as you (and many others have) found out.  She was trying to give you reasonable advice.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, DrJack54 said:

The embassies websites are wrong.

There is no such rule. 

Briefly existed ages ago when Adam was a lad

I started post by saying THERE USED to be a rule but thanks for repeating

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Fairly obvious that she meant that it is "not good for you" because it attracts the unwanted attention of IOs, as you (and many others have) found out.  She was trying to give you reasonable advice.

Except it hadn't been attracting any attention at all from the IO's for the previous 10 years. She was the first which statistically makes her the outlier.

Clarity and consistency is all we need.

On 6/12/2023 at 5:20 PM, JoseThailand said:

When denying someone entry, they need to specify a reason, e.g. insufficient funds. This reason will be stated in the documents.

What reason do you think they would put for being abusive? You aren't seriously suggesting someone abusive wouldn't face high risk of being denied.

That aside, suspected breach of visa conditions is a reason (e.g. not a tourist, which is very broad).

19 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

What reason do you think they would put for being abusive? You aren't seriously suggesting someone abusive wouldn't face high risk of being denied.

That aside, suspected breach of visa conditions is a reason (e.g. not a tourist, which is very broad).

You think there is a lack of abusive and arrogant tourists? They're used to it. As long as they don't break the law, they should be let in. But if they do break the law while being abusive, it's a sufficient reason to deny them entry.

Edited by JoseThailand

46 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

They might decide to deny under Section 12 [7]:

1. Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 12:32 PM, Regyai said:

This was the precise scenario that the Multi-entry Tourist Visa was concocted for. (As opposed to facilitating  Multi-Entry Tourists).

I have been using the 6 month METV to enter Thailand for the past 7-8 years and traveled to Thailand for perhaps 5-6 months each year. Just before covid I was pulled aside by the immigration officer at Don Muaeng Airport when returning from Cambodia. He told me that was using too many METVs and that I should use a more appropriate long term visa if I wanted to be in Thailand for more than a few short periods. It seems that even the METV won't save you from all the immigration officers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yewbzee said:
On 6/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Except it hadn't been attracting any attention at all from the IO's for the previous 10 years. She was the first which statistically makes her the outlier.

Except that she definitely is not the first IO to raise that subject, it may be the first time that it's been an issue with you but it has been a frequent IO comment for a long time, she is not an outlier for mentioning it. 

The last few years have been tainted with Covid procedures so they are hardly representative and before that is a long time ago, a period in which regulations can easily change, to expect what happened 10 years ago to still be in force now is a little unrealistic.

10 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You think there is a lack of abusive and arrogant tourists? They're used to it. As long as they don't break the law, they should be let in. 

Never seen a tourist get abusive towards an immigration official, so yes it's fair to say there's a lack of tourists being abusive in this environment. They know the stakes are too high. What should happen is not the question, it's what can happen.

In a neighbouring country I've seen someone denied entry for less, and I have little reason to believe Thailand would be different. I imagine those denied for having dodgy volunteer visas, didn't have that as the official reason either (as that would admit wrongdoing, and potentially trigger investigations).

6 hours ago, jacob29 said:

Never seen a tourist get abusive towards an immigration official...

Really? I can't say it common, but I have certainly seen it any number of times at any number of airports tourists hollering at rudely at immigration officials. 

That said, in the hundreds (thousands?) of encounters I have had with them, I have never had an immigration official get abusive towards me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That said, in the hundreds (thousands?) of encounters I have had with them, I have never had an immigration official get abusive towards me. 

I have not experienced this either, or even seen it happen at an airport. However, I have twice seen Immigration officials become verbally abusive in both English and Thai (not to me). Once was at a land border crossing, and once was years ago at an immigration office. In the latter case (which was unprovoked) when the abusive official was no longer in earshot, his colleagues apologised. I have heard third hand of rare occasions of officials blowing up at Don Muang.

• Haha 1

I wouldn't worry too much, next time make sure you can show all the requirements they might ask for, hotel reservation, 10k bath in cash (if i remember right, maybe 20k), and a flight out.

also if you can show a bank statement in paper with money on the balance they will backoff very quickly.

just make sure to stay polite and friendly and simply explain your situation making sure they understand you are not coming to work, this is their main concern in the end.

oh and dress a bit like pants and shoes so that you don't look like a hobbo, they will react to this.

maybe throw in a girlfriend in there ... ????

also maybe get a flight to another airport, the immigration ladies at Suvarnabhumi are the worst from my experience... 

this is the kind of cases where you have to understand the "not losing face" thing ... they need a way to change their mind without losing faces.

Edited by freeman01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that you would be in a position to argue with an I.O. on entry but:  I was given a similar warning a few years back and questioned the I.O. as to what the problem was.  Another, possibly higher ranking I.O. who spoke better English joined the conversation.  I asked him why they should be worried about someone visiting regularly and was told that the suspicion was that people who visited regularly were working in the country illegally.

In other countries you would simply provide proof of your employment and that should deal with the problem.  However, we are talking about Thailand and if the I.O. wants to refuse entry, there's not a lot you can do.  Apparently you can appeal but from what I'm told, you're locked up in an immigration jail whilst that's decided.

I don't see why you can't be considered as a tourist - you spend your time off work in Thailand, presumably relaxing. Is that not a holiday?  Next time you arrive (hopefully successfully) I would go to the immigration counter, with proof of your employment and ask for advice. They have the ability to add notes to the passport details they hold on you.  Its unllikely that they will help but they certainly won't if you don't ask.

If by any chance, you are already married to a Thai, you could travel to a neighbouring country and obtain a 12 month Multi Entry Non O. There are still a few consulates that offer that visa.

One point that may help: Prior to covid, quite a few people reported that they were either given a hard time on entry or were actually denied.  On the vast majority of the posts that I read on the subject, the I.O. concerned was female.  Perhaps being careful over which queue you join will have a bearing on your chances.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:47 AM, Yewbzee said:

I will concede that coming here 6 times a year is a stretch to classify myself as a tourist but my current passport is 8 years old and is totally peppered with visa exemption stamps so it's odd that none of the previous immigration officers have ever mentioned it.

On the last point by Regyai I did wonder if just ignoring it was an option or do they "mark" your passport in the system with a "visa required on the next visit" comment?

Can I obtain a tourist visa while inside Thailand or do I have to get one while I'm out of country? 

If you are working here you need a work permit and tax registration.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:11 AM, Yewbzee said:

Has anybody experienced this previously?

Very much so, many have. Visa Exempt is purely for tourists which you appear not to be. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

In terms of the total amount of daily visa exempt entries, I'm pretty sure the number of denials is very low but it can and does happen.  The last thing an enquirer wants to read is how you've never had a problem, he/she's got one

Thinking your post is on the money.

How many threads do we have every day about asking about chances entering visa exempt with ongoing stay in Thailand .

Thailand has some of most flexible options available.

By contrast for example I'm Oz and only option for me to Vietnam is SETV providing 30 day stay. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thailand has some of most flexible options available.

It certainly does but could it be that that flexibility is the root cause of the problem?  There is, as far as I know, no limit to the amount of entries one can make to Thailand and likewise to the total amount of time that can be spent in the country - other than in most cases, a stay has a maximum time limit of 90 days + potential extensions. Nevertheless, it is possible to leave and enter again immediately.

That leaves Immigration Officers with the possiblity of refusing entry to anyone they see fit.  Not that I'm suggesting they would do that for no reason but in the past, when, in the I.O.'s opinion, someone has entered too many times, they have found a reason to deny them entry that fits with the rules they do have (usually not having the required 20,000 baht).  However, I suspect that far more people have been warned to get a visa (as is the case with the OP) than have been denied.

I don't know the rules in all countries but certainly the UK for example, has a total time spent limit of 6 months in 12. Further, once that limit has been reached, the entrant must stay out of the country for 6 months. 

It would be much better if Thailand had a written policy with limits - it must be a hell of a disappointment to be denied entry and no doubt a lot of money has been lost, but knowing how things are in Thailand, I can't see that ever happening.

Edited by KhaoYai