Farang vs banana lady-part2

On 6/11/2023 at 10:49 AM, BangkokReady said:

I think small victories are worth celebrating.  If you ask yourself "would this woman behave in the same way if it was a Thai person?", the answer is probably "no", which means it is, although on a small scale, someone attempting to extort someone due to them not being Thai.

I disagree - it was the lack of ability to speak Thai which landed him in trouble. Speaking the language opens up a whole new and different Thailand. And a better one. Far few skirmishes like this too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

I disagree - it was the lack of ability to speak Thai which landed him in trouble. Speaking the language opens up a whole new and different Thailand. And a better one. Far few skirmishes like this too. 

If he spoke Thai she wouldn't have tried to charge him for the stolen bananas?

On 6/11/2023 at 6:16 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Do you have a sense of humor? Also, as a foreigner how would I "fit in here"?   Most Thai people will likely never accept me into their community even if I spoke fluent Thai.  

that has not been my experience

On 6/10/2023 at 10:48 PM, AustinRacing said:

The idea is for the boy to walk around hand feeding the monkeys

That's probably bad idea.

Monkeys can bite or scratch struggling to get any food you have. Then you have to get rabies shots.

If you insist on feeding wild animals buy the produce at the market before hand . 

Put it in the trunk or they'll come through the windows trying to get at the food.

Up to you. 

4 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Lack of ability to speak is irrelevant in this case. 

On 6/10/2023 at 11:14 PM, chickenslegs said:

Another banana story! I bet you've got a bunch of them.

Great entertainment, and even more entertainment to see the angry irritated reaction from fellow tourist-falangs here...

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 10:48 PM, AustinRacing said:

I don’t like getting ripped off.

Do you know the economics of her situation? 

I am sure you know enough about business to know that the cost of doing business is different in different places... Yes, where I am a bunch of bananas is 20 baht - but that is because they are plentiful. We give them away free because we have so many... 

The poor lady you are feuding with over pennies, might have to pay 50% of her sales to the temple... she might be paying more to have them delivered... surely she is just trying to make a living and does not want a fight... but you seem to pride yourself in some misguided matter of "principle" - -

do you get some odd pleasure out of fighting w/a poor lady who can't fight back? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

2? Why 2? ????

1 baht each time. I thought this was his second visit, but I might have read it wrong.

Or maybe she did him out of one baht ????....

13 minutes ago, sipi said:

1 baht each time. I thought this was his second visit, but I might have read it wrong.

Or maybe she did him out of one baht ????....

???????? ok that makes sense. Just to set the record straight, the first visit was a full refund. So now we’re talking about 1baht. ????????????

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Do you know the economics of her situation? 

I am sure you know enough about business to know that the cost of doing business is different in different places... Yes, where I am a bunch of bananas is 20 baht - but that is because they are plentiful. We give them away free because we have so many... 

The poor lady you are feuding with over pennies, might have to pay 50% of her sales to the temple... she might be paying more to have them delivered... surely she is just trying to make a living and does not want a fight... but you seem to pride yourself in some misguided matter of "principle" - -

do you get some odd pleasure out of fighting w/a poor lady who can't fight back? 

Economic hardship etc justifies cheating, scamming, ripping people off? It’s fair to say she wouldn’t do it to her Thai friends. But to farangs, let’s milk them. Not in my book!!!

• Confused 1

On 6/11/2023 at 4:55 PM, Hummin said:

Monkeys is a problem when they get to close especially around food

They are Worse than Soi Dogs, pulling over bins, carry rabies, can damage cars and m/c

I like the rule on Koh Chang

"DON"T FEED THE MONKEYS  1,000 B FINE" 

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

Economic hardship etc justifies cheating, scamming, ripping people off? It’s fair to say she wouldn’t do it to her Thai friends. But to farangs, let’s milk them. Not in my book!!!

Have you never been to a tourist attraction - things are always more expensive than in a market or on the street.. same as USA... is Disneyland in USA more expensive than a local restaurant - But wow, you are harassing a banana seller and you can probably bring your own bananas from outside - but this is your big competitor in life? 

I hope your children are learning how ugly this type of conduct is... I have a kid too and I am also teaching her to not get ripped off, but by large sums to con men. I would hope she also learns to have compassion for poor people and the wisdom to see the difference. 

Wow. My daddy can beat up a poor lady selling bananas... 

33 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Have you never been to a tourist attraction - things are always more expensive than in a market or on the street.. same as USA... is Disneyland in USA more expensive than a local restaurant - But wow, you are harassing a banana seller and you can probably bring your own bananas from outside - but this is your big competitor in life? 

I hope your children are learning how ugly this type of conduct is... I have a kid too and I am also teaching her to not get ripped off, but by large sums to con men. I would hope she also learns to have compassion for poor people and the wisdom to see the difference. 

I agree with this. And his first story was that he bought bananas but couldn't find any monkeys so he demanded a refund! That is just appalling behaviour to be teaching a child.

27 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I agree with this. And his first story was that he bought bananas but couldn't find any monkeys so he demanded a refund! That is just appalling behaviour to be teaching a child.

Yes. others here claim 'principle' but don't mind or can't see when and how others are really ripping them off... It is sad that he chooses a poor lady as arch enemy.

It may not be so bad for his kids. There were times when my father was a total jerk as well, and in those instances, I learned from him 'what not to be' - - so hopefully his kids will see the same. 

What awful behavior to be so proud of... he surely suffers from very low self-esteem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you keep missing the point or just wanna push your agenda. Nobody is talking about prices here. You teach your kid to bend over backwards when being ripped off and I’ll teach mine to watch out for it. Better yet how about not talk about kids. 

12 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes. others here claim 'principle' but don't mind or can't see when and how others are really ripping them off... It is sad that he chooses a poor lady as arch enemy.

It may not be so bad for his kids. There were times when my father was a total jerk as well, and in those instances, I learned from him 'what not to be' - - so hopefully his kids will see the same. 

What awful behavior to be so proud of... he surely suffers from very low self-esteem. 

She chose to pull the wool over me and failed. You guys may accept being taken advantaged of but showing kids backbone is not a bad thing.