NUMBERS ARE IN: While half of Americans support the second indictment of the former president, there is one thing they can all agree on.

Social Media

On Thursday, Trump announced he was indicted by Special Counsel Jack Smith on 37 federal counts relating to the unlawful retention of classified documents, describing the investigation to Fox News Digital as "the greatest witch hunt of all time."

A recent ABC/Ipsos poll conducted after the shocking indictment found that 48% of Americans think Trump was rightfully charged in the classified documents case, while 35% do not think he should have been indicted. About 17% reported feeling unsure about whether the former president should have been indicted the second time.

Among political parties, 86% of Democrats and 45% of independents said they support the indictment, while the majority of Republicans, 67%, disagree with the charges against Trump

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I just shake my head in disbelief that otherwise seemingly intelligent humans can still support this traitor.

I just watched a BBC report showing dozens of his followers waving the US flag and chanting U S A as he arrived at Mar-a-largo, where he'll be staying for his court appearance.  How do these people reconcile their show of patriotism with the fact that he's essentially on trial for treason - possessing classified documents that could seriously have a detrimental effect on the security of the country, and its allies, should they be viewed by the wrong people?  The fact that he continues to cozy up to at least some of those "wrong" people only exacerbates the situation.  My conclusion is that some refuse to believe it - even if it's pointed out in court beyond reasonable doubt they'll continue denying it, like many do after a huge tragedy in their lives, they're that far down the rabbit hole.  And the rest don't care.  They know the emperor has no clothes, but they'll support anyone who helps push their agenda and warped values.  No matter the consequences to the country.

John Bolton, not someone I usually agree with, shows honour in this CNN clip, which is where the following screenshot comes from, laying out in pretty blunt terms one of the accusations in the inditement.  If this proves to be true then it's not just Americans who need to be horrified by his actions, but citizens of every Western, democratic nation.  You may choose to argue that he legally or illegally had these documents - though the case for "legally" is pretty thin, but there can be no argument over whether it was right, and prudent, for him to do so.  What purpose did it serve?  What were his intentions when he took them to Mar-a-largo and tried to hide the fact that he had them?

image.png.e1e2d124b02cd7df6e42483dd87f464d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I just shake my head in disbelief that otherwise seemingly intelligent humans can still support this traitor.

Yes. Less than half the people in the poll supported his being charged. Of course, we all know that polls are useless. How many did they ask? Where? All social and economic groups? How was the question posed?

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

A recent ABC/Ipsos poll conducted after the shocking indictment found that 48% of Americans think Trump was rightfully charged in the classified documents case

34 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I just watched a BBC report showing dozens of his followers waving the US flag and chanting U S A as he arrived at Mar-a-largo, where he'll be staying for his court appearance.  How do these people reconcile their show of patriotism with the fact that he's essentially on trial for treason - possessing classified documents that could seriously have a detrimental effect on the security of the country, and its allies, should they be viewed by the wrong people?  The fact that he continues to cozy up to at least some of those "wrong" people only exacerbates the situation.  My conclusion is that some refuse to believe it - even if it's pointed out in court beyond reasonable doubt they'll continue denying it, like many do after a huge tragedy in their lives, they're that far down the rabbit hole.  And the rest don't care.  They know the emperor has no clothes, but they'll support anyone who helps push their agenda and warped values.  No matter the consequences to the country.

John Bolton, not someone I usually agree with, shows honour in this CNN clip, which is where the following screenshot comes from, laying out in pretty blunt terms one of the accusations in the inditement.  If this proves to be true then it's not just Americans who need to be horrified by his actions, but citizens of every Western, democratic nation.  You may choose to argue that he legally or illegally had these documents - though the case for "legally" is pretty thin, but there can be no argument over whether it was right, and prudent, for him to do so.  What purpose did it serve?  What were his intentions when he took them to Mar-a-largo and tried to hide the fact that he had them?

image.png.e1e2d124b02cd7df6e42483dd87f464d.png

The largest part of the problem is the lies being told by Kevin McCarthy and the like, then repeated by Fox. I can't use the term "white trash" on Facebook (I tried recently and it was flagged, removed, and I was warned) yet these monsters can spew harmful false rhetoric around the world and don't get checked on it. Then his blind followers lap up the spew. I am starting to see how WW II actually came about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Emdog said:

Maybe I'm losing my mind and reading skills, but I don't see any "one thing they can all agree on" mentioned in the article

Let me help.  The one thing they can all agree on is Trump is the biggest liar, cheater, con man, and grifter the World has ever seen--or will ever see again.

• Like 2

A change in sentiment regarding Trump may be on the horizon.  Chris Christie blasted Trump the other day in a CNN town hall.  If his poll numbers start to go up, other GOP presidential candidates may see blood in the water and start going after Trump as well.  Could get interesting.

21 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

A change in sentiment regarding Trump may be on the horizon.  Chris Christie blasted Trump the other day in a CNN town hall.  If his poll numbers start to go up, other GOP presidential candidates may see blood in the water and start going after Trump as well.  Could get interesting.

Unfortunately thinking Republicans have left the party or gone quiet, while people non-thinking people have flooded in.  I don't see calling out Trump as being a winning strategy.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Unfortunately thinking Republicans have left the party or gone quiet, while people non-thinking people have flooded in.  I don't see calling out Trump as being a winning strategy.

Yes I get that.  My point is that these GOP candidates, Scott, Pence, DeSantis, Nikki, et al, they live and die by the poll numbers.  They're scared shtless of Trump because he still has the base.  Trump is dominating the polls and these candidates don't have any ideas on how to break through.  But if Christie can get even a modest rise from blasting Trump, others may try.  Snowball effect and all that.  Just a hunch.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Yes I get that.  My point is that these GOP candidates, Scott, Pence, DeSantis, Nikki, et al, they live and die by the poll numbers.  They're scared shtless of Trump because he still has the base.  Trump is dominating the polls and these candidates don't have any ideas on how to break through.  But if Christie can get even a modest rise from blasting Trump, others may try.  Snowball effect and all that.  Just a hunch.

It would be great if it played out that way, but I'm not optimistic.

What they agree on:

- Democrat: It's a damning indictment

- Republican: It's a damning indictment, but (choose between Biden, Clinton, weaponization, no real damage done, first time President indicted, etc...)

An off topic flame post and replies have been removed as well as more off topic posts and replies. The OP is:

NUMBERS ARE IN: While half of Americans support the second indictment of the former president, there is one thing they can all agree on.