Thaksin Insists On Returning Next Month Despite Family’s Warning

webfact

4 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Terrible timing!

Works for him, but it's really just going to stir the pot of an already fraught process, and the old buzzard isn't even a currently elected individual.

Perfect timing.

The junta are cowed and afraid and pissing in their pants.

Time to ramp up the pressure.

Thaksin arriving on the scene would be the death blow to the caretaker governments efforts to stall the new, elected government being sworn in.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't remember which "crimes" he was charged with, or tried/convicted/sentenced to in absentia, but those may have a statute of limitations?

Third-party share nominees?

Inside real-estate deal in Ratchada?

Yes I realize any Somchai could file new charges against him.

Maybe he has some sort of pardon in hand?

He's never struck me as unintelligent, and returning without some assurances (even if that would require him to depart again) would be anything but intelligent.

Do/did I like the guy? No. I was never one of the tens of millions of people who voted for him.

Was illegally overthrowing a government worth it just to get rid of him? Uhm, no.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jcmj said:

He may have been greedy and screwed a lot of people but it’s not like he’s the only one. I think he was great for the Foreigners. At least he welcomed us and made life easier. He also was good for the economy. Sure he f’d up with the monopoly on the phone and shares manipulation, but I’d still rather have him than Mr. P and his cohorts. They have destroyed the country in the last decade and put targets on all foreigners. JMO

I am always confused where these impressions come from. I felt welcome in Thailand under any government. I don't blame them for having immigration laws. Every country has these laws. And many of us would hope those laws would be more radical "back home".

Obviously, some regulations, like reporting every 90 days, feel a little stupid. But come on, that and a yearly visa renewal is maybe one day inconvenience per year to stay in Thailand. I don't think that is a problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

I can't see it happening. Was there any investigation into the thousands of innocent live he took in the south where he planted drugs on the already dead body and told people he caught another drug dealer. I doubt it 

as much as I dislike the man, I think it's the right thing to say that he didn't catch any drug dealers        or plant any drugs on anyone. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Artisi said:

as much as I dislike the man, I think it's the right thing to say that he didn't catch any drug dealers        or plant any drugs on anyone. 

About 2500 drug suspects were killed when he was in charge. Few of us will miss the drug dealers, but it seems too many of those dead people were called suspects so that the police could claim that they did a good job. There was definitely a lot of injustice. How many innocent people were killed will probably never come out. He has a lot of blood on his hands. That is clear. 

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he would have returned 10 years ago then he would be soon out of prison. Maybe a few years more.

If he returns now, then maybe they let him out at his 90th birthday - if he behaves.

Come on Thaksin, come back! Don't just talk too much as usual. Do it!

And if he wasn't so greedy when he was PM he would be PM for life, the country might be the powerhouse of SE Asia by now and he would have had enough time to continue amassing his family fortune with impunity... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let the guy come home he hasn't done anything that others leaders haven't done bring Yingluck too why leave her behind!

All he wants is see his grand kids all these made up charges same stuff going on with Pita,  the old guard wants to be in charge.

Come back country needs more drama More fighting LOL. 

• Love It 1