Collar up on Polo Shirt - Why?

EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do you use starch for the crisp look. I'm a beach guy so being a redneck isn't an issue. 

IIRC you are a Trump supporter, rednecks are part of the landscape.

I don't use starch, and I don't eat it either.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

.....grown men, especially pensioners, don't look smart in the same clothes a 5 year old rural Isaan kid wears.....

Guilty during the daytime, but thankfully innocent of all of your other crimes.

(My "yoof" style crash helmet would give you sleepless nights!)

Edited by London Lowf

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC you are a Trump supporter, rednecks are part of the landscape.

I don't use starch, and I don't eat it either.

Ah the history of a redneck....... read and learn

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[28][29] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[30]

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Ah the history of a redneck....... read and learn

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[28][29] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[30]

In South Africa, the equivalent Afrikaner term is rooinek. I doubt it has the same Scottish origins; however, thanks for the interesting information.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jesimps said:

When cutting the grass I always put my collar up and fasten the top button to help it stay up. Purely to keep the sun off my neck. Wouldn't think to do it when I was out, it'd look a bit daft on a 79 year old.

I wanted to use one of those baseball caps which have the peak (bill) on the back. I searched shops everywhere but can only find those with a peak on the front. So, my neck gets sunburned. ????

• Haha 2

Popping one's collar was originally meant to shield the neck from sunburn when participating in WASP sports such as tennis, golf, lacrosse, sailing, riding, etc.

It quickly turned into a fashion statement and reappears every 10-years or so when each generation rediscovers how to look like an A-hole.

And yes, I did attend prep school in the 80's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Antiparovian said:

As ridiculous as wearing sunglasses indoors or even worse on top of head. A sign of an IQ well below 80.

A person walking around with sunglasses in their hand, a desperately pathetic person.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I think a turned up collar on a polo shirt is probably only a minor fashion crime. 

A real fashion crime is the dude I see wearing a Rodger the Dodger (red and black) striped t-shirt tucked into green/blue/red tartan shorts, with a white belt, black socks up to the knees, and sporting platform soled roman sandals.

This could be considered a crime against humanity -  or at the very least a potential hazard to passing traffic. :coffee1:

In Thailand, wearing any footwear without socks is an invitation to cellulitis infection, as I found out the hard way.

I prefer function over form, and don't give a rat's bum about what other people think.

I always wear black or brown belts, white gets dirty too easily.

Collar up, collar down is no big deal. What gives me a giggle are types that button the top button and/or wear sox with sandles to keep the staph/ strep bacteria

growing on their feet happy. 

Edited by ignore it

2 hours ago, Antiparovian said:

As ridiculous as wearing sunglasses indoors or even worse on top of head. A sign of an IQ well below 80.

What do you do with sunglasses when you go indoors or when you are in the shade and don't need to wear sunglasses over your eyes ?

What do people with a high I.Q do , rather than the above examples ?

8 hours ago, JayClay said:

Maybe it makes them feel less sun burned?

Agreed.  It's probably pragmatic and has nothing to do with 'fashion.'  When out in the sun, I put mine up too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, we're all probably partaken in some ridiculous hair and clothes trends in our past.

I tried to whitewash out of history pictures of me in the 70's & 80's, although my kids gleefully seem to bring them back!