Thai children losing out on height due to too little milk

webfact

(1) So where does lactose intolerance (supposed to be high in Asia) fit in to the good doctor's propaganda?  (My Thai Khmer family watch me in astonishment as I drink milk & apply butter to my toast & yoghurt to a meal.)

(2) I read somewhere long ago that height is mostly dictated by the quality & quantity of food in the first 2 or 3 years of life. Examples: Melbourne friends of mine where the 2 boys were breast-fed by their mother for as long as they wanted, which turned out to be age 4. Of course they were then eating other foodstuffs as well but they were happy to come for a suckle from time to time. They are now in their 30s, the older one some 6'3", the younger one 6'6". Second example: a girl in my peasant family here whose slightly dotty mother has been stuffing her with milk and all foods practically from the day she was born. Now at age 8 she towers over her peers, has a very large head & has started her periods ...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Kids are losing out on more than just height there. They are losing out on many many things due to the corruption and many other issues with the govt.

And missing out on nutrition getting a lunch of a bit of rice and a weaner!

• Like 1

Leaving aside the argument as to whether or not milk is "good for you" - although I tend to the view that it is - aren't all children in primary classes supposed to get 250ml a day at school?

Certainly in the school I taught at they were lined up at morning break to drink theirs - served from cool boxes with ice to make it more palatable. At end of semester they were sent home with boxes of the stuff to see them through the holidays. P6 had the duty of "milk monitors" to issue it and make sure it was drunk, supervised by a duty teacher.

As so often, perhaps look at where the money to buy it has gone? Let us say B8 a carton  (wholesale price), 30 kids in a class is around B5000 a month - I say, is that a new motor Mr Director?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

it is going to take more than milk to compensate for being short. 

No real health during pregnancy, no general education on health and hygiene. 

Sugar is what fuel the nation. 

Sugar is the biggest problem...but I don't see a problem with education on health and hygiene....Thais are pretty clean but being dirty would not make them get shorter and the basic healthy nutrition ideas...I think people know that coke and ice cream is not healthy. They just ignore it.

42 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Leaving aside the argument as to whether or not milk is "good for you" - although I tend to the view that it is - aren't all children in primary classes supposed to get 250ml a day at school?

Certainly in the school I taught at they were lined up at morning break to drink theirs - served from cool boxes with ice to make it more palatable. At end of semester they were sent home with boxes of the stuff to see them through the holidays. P6 had the duty of "milk monitors" to issue it and make sure it was drunk, supervised by a duty teacher.

As so often, perhaps look at where the money to buy it has gone? Let us say B8 a carton  (wholesale price), 30 kids in a class is around B5000 a month - I say, is that a new motor Mr Director?

I think some milk for kids is good. But milk monitors that force the kids to drink it?? That is dystopian!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Packed with essential nutrients, milk is an integral part of children’s diets and supports their growth. It contains calcium, which is great for the teeth and the bones, and has other health benefits too, among them boosting the immune system, strengthening heart health, and improving the skin, according to experts.

Better late than never, I guess. This is not news.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

(1) So where does lactose intolerance (supposed to be high in Asia) fit in to the good doctor's propaganda?  (My Thai Khmer family watch me in astonishment as I drink milk & apply butter to my toast & yoghurt to a meal.)

(2) I read somewhere long ago that height is mostly dictated by the quality & quantity of food in the first 2 or 3 years of life. Examples: Melbourne friends of mine where the 2 boys were breast-fed by their mother for as long as they wanted, which turned out to be age 4. Of course they were then eating other foodstuffs as well but they were happy to come for a suckle from time to time. They are now in their 30s, the older one some 6'3", the younger one 6'6". Second example: a girl in my peasant family here whose slightly dotty mother has been stuffing her with milk and all foods practically from the day she was born. Now at age 8 she towers over her peers, has a very large head & has started her periods ...

I was a baby that always wanted to eat, and got everything way before the recommended age...Got meat at very young and still didn't got very tall. Maybe without I would be real short?

1 minute ago, glegolo18 said:

Is it REALLY the milk????? I would say that lack of enough protein on a daily basis is the villain... Plus that their shortness is in their DNA here in Asia. They are short in comparizon all over Asia..

Yes, it has nothing to do with milk consumption, and the doctor????, is wrong. Milk, and all dairy products, are totally unnecessary for humans, and is a problem to those lactose intolerant. You can get all the benefits that milk gives from a lot of other foods. Milk is a convenient way for children to get some nutrients, as they like the taste and it's cheap and easy to give it to them. You can get Vitamin D from the sun, egg yolks, fish and other sources, and calcium from soy milk, soy products, vegetables , nuts etc. I was allergic to milk from the get go, and my mom gave me soy milk, which is what I still drink today. Height here is hereditary, and I see everyday tall Thai's anyway, which shows this. My ex wife's family is all tall,or at least average height, and her mom is average and dad wasn't tall.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, h90 said:

I think some milk for kids is good. But milk monitors that force the kids to drink it?? That is dystopian!

I didn't say "forced to drink it", I described how the senior children had the job of dishing out the milk and making sure it was drunk and not played with/thrown around. Supervised by a teacher 

"Milk monitor" in junior school is a benign concept which will be familiar to anyone who went to school in the UK in the 60s and 70s.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I didn't say "forced to drink it", I described how the senior children had the job of dishing out the milk and making sure it was drunk and not played with/thrown around. Supervised by a teacher 

"Milk monitor" in junior school is a benign concept which will be familiar to anyone who went to school in the UK in the 60s and 70s.

Making sure it was drunk...is kind of forcing....I went to school in the 70s in Austria we had school milk and no monitoring....no one looked at us. But of course no one would have got the idea to play around with food in the 1970s

15 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, it has nothing to do with milk consumption, and the doctor????, is wrong. Milk, and all dairy products, are totally unnecessary for humans, and is a problem to those lactose intolerant. You can get all the benefits that milk gives from a lot of other foods. Milk is a convenient way for children to get some nutrients, as they like the taste and it's cheap and easy to give it to them. You can get Vitamin D from the sun, egg yolks, fish and other sources, and calcium from soy milk, soy products, vegetables , nuts etc. I was allergic to milk from the get go, and my mom gave me soy milk, which is what I still drink today. Height here is hereditary, and I see everyday tall Thai's anyway, which shows this. My ex wife's family is all tall,or at least average height, and her mom is average and dad wasn't tall.

Soy products are very bad for young boys...... But yes you could replace the milk with a boiled egg, but please not with some soy product

27 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Is it REALLY the milk????? I would say that lack of enough protein on a daily basis is the villain... Plus that their shortness is in their DNA here in Asia. They are short in comparizon all over Asia..

yes lack of protein....you could also give a school beef steak every day, but milk might be easier.

DNA I am not sure...in Europe we were all short a few hundred years ago and DNA didn't change in such short time. Nutrition did but they say it needs generations as the nutrition of the parents influence the DNA expression of the kids.

If that is true or not....I really don't know. I only parrot what I read.

Too little protein is also bad for brain so stuffing in more into kids...and less cheap carbohydrates (sugar and white rice) is surely a good thing. Two eggs with some dark bread (or if it is not accepted some rice) would be a better lunch than that sad sausage shown in the news...and still cheap

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1